What Happened to Capital Regiment?

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Were you part of the group that was fed birthday cake and nothing else in Kansas in July?  In 105 degree heat?  Or it may have been 2006.  I about fell off a chair when I heard that story.  

I marched the two years before. 2004 was a very young corps, most members, like myself, were rookies. A lot of HS kids. We were mostly just happy to be in a corps and didn't really know any better. 2005 was when it really went down and 2006 was the end.

Edited by FTNK
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/5/2006 at 8:48 PM, Elmo Blatch said:

True genius is often misunderstood and unfortunately, if given different circumstances, who knows where Capital Regiment would be. See, in many ways, I see Rick as comparable to George Hopkins. So, I must ask: where would Capital be if George were director and all the other staff remained the same?

This jumped out

22 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Were you part of the group that was fed birthday cake and nothing else in Kansas in July?  In 105 degree heat?  Or it may have been 2006.  I about fell off a chair when I heard that story.  

I’m not implying anything, or suggesting anything, but were you also, maybe, not saying you were, having some Zombie Dust when you nearly fell off the chair? It has helped me once or twice off my stool! 🍺😂

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Wow; never heard that story.  That's just sad.  But sprinkles & ice cold milk may have have made a huge difference. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

That's taking the old "Let them eat cake" myth into a new spotlight 😞

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

re: food, [keeping in mind this is from 2004 and 2005, I don't have firsthand knowledge of 06*)

we rarely had enough staff or volunteers, I remember the brass staff serving us at dinner during Spring Training in 2004, I thought it was a nice way for us to get to know them better, LOL...

Another time, early part of tour in 04, they didn't have a driver for the food truck to bring it to our new housing site, so they went out and bought 120 McDonald's hamburgers... mm cold wet burger

They didn't even make people wear a shirt in the food line

A "fruit break" - 30 min to eat half an orange - was standard operating procedure on show days in lieu of lunch

I don't know if it was 04 or 05 or both -- probably both -- but there was a time when we had canned pudding and donated cookies for snack (after show meal) for several days in a row

The funniest thing, especially in the context of everything else -- the corps had a very strick "no soda" rule. For health reasons? If Rick caught you drinking a can of soda, he would throw a fit and make you throw it out

Other corps at the time had it even worse. Look at Magic of Orlando.

* We definitely heard things. One that jumps out - in 2006 I was marching Cadets, it was nearing the beginning of the competition season, and George Hopkins mentioned to us in the day meeting that he had been talking to Rick Bays, and that Cap Reg didn't have any housing sites lined up past the next week. 

Edited by FTNK
tryna get this formatting right
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Wow; never heard that story.  That's just sad.  But sprinkles & ice cold milk may have have made a huge difference. 😁

My son told me about it.  A girl he knew was in there and told him when they were on that same tour swing with Cap Reg.  I think he gave her food.  He was in Kentucky Southwind then. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FTNK said:

re: food, [keeping in mind this is from 2004 and 2005, I don't have firsthand knowledge of 06*)

we rarely had enough staff or volunteers, I remember the brass staff serving us at dinner during Spring Training in 2004, I thought it was a nice way for us to get to know them better, LOL...

Another time, early part of tour in 04, they didn't have a driver for the food truck to bring it to our new housing site, so they went out and bought 120 McDonald's hamburgers... mm cold wet burger

They didn't even make people wear a shirt in the food line

A "fruit break" - 30 min to eat half an orange - was standard operating procedure on show days in lieu of lunch

I don't know if it was 04 or 05 or both -- probably both -- but there was a time when we had canned pudding and donated cookies for snack (after show meal) for several days in a row

The funniest thing, especially in the context of everything else -- the corps had a very strick "no soda" rule. For health reasons? If Rick caught you drinking a can of soda, he would throw a fit and make you throw it out

Other corps at the time had it even worse. Look at Magic of Orlando.

* We definitely heard things. One that jumps out - in 2006 I was marching Cadets, it was nearing the beginning of the competition season, and George Hopkins mentioned to us in the day meeting that he had been talking to Rick Bays, and that Cap Reg didn't have any housing sites lined up past the next week. 

I guess he had good intentions at some point but things sure went south fast.