Bugles VS Trumpets

LSU GRAD 82

Does anyone else feel a Bach (marching) mellophone/mellophonium, baritone, and tuba designs would still be considered top notch quality in today's market?

They have them, and they're basically carbon copies of the Yamahas, but with longer valve throw, at least on the baris.

They have them, and they're basically carbon copies of the Yamahas, but with longer valve throw, at least on the baris.

I know Selmer sells Bach stamped marching brass. I was referring to marching brass that would have actually been designed by Vincent Bach himself. Interesting fact though, For a period of time, Yamaha was producing marching brass for Selmer that was stamped with the Bach name.

I know Selmer sells Bach stamped marching brass. I was referring to marching brass that would have actually been designed by Vincent Bach himself. Interesting fact though, For a period of time, Yamaha was producing marching brass for Selmer that was stamped with the Bach name.

I actually have a bit of Bach marching brass history.

It's a c.1944 Bach Mercedes model trumpet, made in the Bronx for the armed forces marching bands.

I corresponded with the gentleman that was the shop foreman and salesman at the time. He told me that in order to get the military contract they had to come in at a lower price, but all they had were their Stradivarius model trumpets. They rebadged the Strads as Mercedes models and added a first valve trigger, lowered the price and they got the contract.

The valves haven't held up so well and the Bach foreman told me they had to send the valves out to the Navy to have them nickel plated and almost all of them ended up pitting on the first and second valves. He was dead on describing my horn's valves. I'll have to see if I can find the letters, I can't remember his name.

The trumpet is silver plate, serial number 8530 and is a .453 small bore. (Sometimes called a "Dance Bore")

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I could never understand the need for the 3rd valve on the G horns. GREAT music was played prior to the addition of the 3rd valve on 2 valve and even valve rotor horns in the past. The way I see it if the BEST DBC in the world US MARINE DBC is STILL using 2 valve horns and playing the stuff they play why the change???????????????.

Oh I know$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the manufacturers!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could never understand the need for the 3rd valve on the G horns. GREAT music was played prior to the addition of the 3rd valve on 2 valve and even valve rotor horns in the past. The way I see it if the BEST DBC in the world US MARINE DBC is STILL using 2 valve horns and playing the stuff they play why the change???????????????.

Oh I know$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the manufacturers!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with the stament about the Marine Corps Drum And Bugle Corps! They still use 2 valve horns, and sound great. The Marine Corps Drum and Bugle corps uses Kanstul 2 valve G horns, made in 2006.

I totally agree with the stament about the Marine Corps Drum And Bugle Corps! They still use 2 valve horns, and sound great. The Marine Corps Drum and Bugle corps uses Kanstul 2 valve G horns, made in 2006.

"USMC Drum Corps":

As the ONLY "Permanant Party" (Drum Corps as a "Full Time Job") drum and bugle corps left in the ENTIRE DOD the "*8th & I" , in this era of "Downsizing" in the US militray are a truly "Endangered Species". The two valve BUGLES mark them as a DRUM & BUGLE CORPS (The "Commandants Own") not a "Band" which the USMC already has at the DC POst the "Presidents Own".

The USAF drum corps from Bolling AFB and the USAF Academy are long gone, as is the USMC drum corps from 29 Pines CA. I understand that the US Air Force is losing five Air National Guard bands, and several of their regional "Field Bands" are either being disbanded, downsized or merged.

Elphaba

Oh I know$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the manufacturers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because there are notes you can't play with only 2 valves and why would you want to limit that? All respect to the Marine D&BC, but that's something I simply don't understand.

Because there are notes you can't play with only 2 valves and why would you want to limit that? All respect to the Marine D&BC, but that's something I simply don't understand.

Having played all types of two valves (P/S, P/R, 2V) and a 3v I'll just say that 3v is a lot more fun. Actually have to pull out the cheat sheet once in a while with the charts I've seen. Seriuosly with the right arranger IMO the brass line can have a fuller sound...

The reason the Marines play on only two-valve horns has nothing to do with tradition. It has to do with their TO&E (Table of Organization & Equipment). The TO&E dictates what kind of equipment they are allowed to buy and when, and theirs specifies 2-valve bugles. Amending their TO&E is a very difficult thing to do, so they haven't bothered.