Why No More On-field Pits (Phantom 93)

it can be done, but a lot of it has to do with the visual needs. smaller ensembles do it more often, because in actuality it helps balance things out upstairs. i am surprised with amps fewer corps haven't done it

Yes....the band I write the wind and percussion charts for does that this year. We have no battery, and the pit starts on the 40 16 steps from the sideline and arcs down to the 30.

We micced the marimba and vibes. It does create some side-to-side tempo "opportunities"....esp when the winds are staged relatively far away from midfield, but balance has indeed been excellent overall.

We also place a mic in the pit for our opening narration, a pic solo, and a clarinet solo.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, the bass drummers...some of the funniest guys ever. I still remember that when we had our 64-man "Rock Paper Scissors" tourney that year, the Final Four consisted of me and three bass drummers. :P

I lost to Jeff L. in one of the early rounds. I was clearly outmatched.

:)

Pits that are that far away don't sound good on the videos.

If I remember correctly, both the Govenaires and the Empire Statesmen had on-field pits this past season...

The Blue Devil's pit in 05 was on the field, it was like on the 45 ish side two at an angle. Maybe the intent was to make it look like a big band combo to go with the dance theme.

Yowza! How could people forget this one?

Pits that are that far away don't sound good on the videos.

True dat.

Putting the pit on the field minimizes the visual designer's canvas. The guard will have to run around the pit to change equipment in some occasions, and the pit will block the front people's feet in the drill.

Putting the pit on the field minimizes the visual designer's canvas. The guard will have to run around the pit to change equipment in some occasions, and the pit will block the front people's feet in the drill.

Eh...I think a creative drill designer could take advantage of the pit being on the field...Tony Hall certainly took advantage of it in 1993 and 1994. You telling me that Mike Gaines couldn't design some fantastic drill with the setup Regiment used in 1993? I am positive he could (as could Jamey, Pete, et al). I think the reason you're not seeing pits on the field anymore currently have to do with amplification issues.

As for the pit not sounding good on the videos...I thought Regiment's pit in 1993 and 1994 sounded just fine...maybe I'm deaf to the deficiencies in sound implied above because of my bias...who knows.

Very often putting the pit on the field IS a visual design decision.

This year, the band I tech has the pit on the field. We have drill that takes advantage and has good effects by encircling the pit at points and doing other things.

I LOVE that Phantom 93 show, The drill, the color guard, the music, the pit on the field, was just brilliant to me. I've often wondered the same question posed by the original poster.... so great thread.

I love the music, I listened to that show last week and the music stays in my head for days. Do any of you ever have that happen where a great show just gets stuck in your head for days? lol... :huh:

Edited by Lancerlady

In the 2002 Jersey Surf, we were on the field, in 9 seperate pods across the field making a 9x9 square set on an angle. It's hard to describe, but it worked out, so that drill could go around us and features could be put more up front.