Why No More On-field Pits (Phantom 93)

I was listening to PR93 (one of my all time favorite shows), and it got to wondering why on one else (to my knowledge, at least) has done the on-field pit Phantom used that year.

For those of you who did not see it, Phantom placed the entire pit around the 35 yardline on the front hashmark. They were on a black base with a short (3') black wall behind them. It looked like a lot of guard equipment was stored on the back of that wall. In addition, there was a short ladder behind the pit, allowing soloists to quite literally rise above the rest of the corps.

Why has no one done that again? Was designing the drill around the pit so difficult that they said never again, or what? I thought it looked great, and in addition, kept the pit from overpowering the horns and battery.

Just curious...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine it's hell for ensemble timing. Although you eliminate the vertical timing issues because the pit isn't up front, it probably creates even more horizontal timing issues. Also, I think it just takes too much of the field out of the play as far as drill is concerned.

Actually, you see quite a few pits on the field in div 2/3.

Blue Knights had an of field pit in 03, I believe...that was the year the pit would actually move theie instruments around durign the show.

02, actually.

~>conner

I was listening to PR93 (one of my all time favorite shows), and it got to wondering why on one else (to my knowledge, at least) has done the on-field pit Phantom used that year.

For those of you who did not see it, Phantom placed the entire pit around the 35 yardline on the front hashmark. They were on a black base with a short (3') black wall behind them. It looked like a lot of guard equipment was stored on the back of that wall. In addition, there was a short ladder behind the pit, allowing soloists to quite literally rise above the rest of the corps.

Why has no one done that again? Was designing the drill around the pit so difficult that they said never again, or what? I thought it looked great, and in addition, kept the pit from overpowering the horns and battery.

Just curious...

We also did it again in 94. In fact, we had two seperate pits (sort of).

Telling people who are looking down at keys to look up at a drum major isn't the best recipe for success. Not to say that keyboards are always looking at keys, but playing with the sum of music going forward is indeed easier than to play into a partial ensemble.