Sly to SCV

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh.My.God.

This is going to be amazing!! Wonder if SCV will be using the same marching style as Cavies have been. I love the way SCV holds their horns and their snaps...hopefully they won't get rid of them.

I don't think Vanguard needs any help there. :) They've been snapping like it's their job for decades.

Just clean it.

Sybilski and Keenum join the Santa Clara Vanguard

by Jeff Pearson, Program Manager - December 5, 2006

The Santa Clara Vanguard is excited to announce the addition of Sly Sybilski and Tommy Keenum to the Vanguard Team. Sly Sybilski takes over responsibilities as the Visual Caption Head. Tommy Keenum of the Band Hall has joined the Design Team as a Consultant for the 2007 season.

Sylvester (Sly) Sybilski - Sly has an extensive pageantry history, most recently with The Cavaliers where he taught the activity how to be technically proficient while performing state of the art visual design. Sly's talent and passion for the activity are a perfect match for SCV. Sly was a member of the Vanguard brass staff in 1996 and we are excited about his return to the SCV staff.

http://www.scvanguard.org/about/news/news....2f-74acb1350560

Though the lower body has changed over time, SCV's upper body has been the same for at least the last 10-12 years, and the only change I've noticed from before then was the degree of triangulation in thier arms.

Hardin changed the lower body, but not THAT much. Whatever the case, I certainly hope that he doesn't bring the Cavies lower body style. Count your rings, Cavaliers, but your feet have been dirrrty. Certainly SCV's feet have been as well, but I think the model for cleanliness in marching style has got to be BD right now. Even though DCI has shifted the visual focus to how form looks, I still think people's lower bodies should look the same from person to person, and BD is a great example of how a corps can hvae clean forms and clean feet.

Just personal preference, though.

Anyone have a clue as to what the "story line" is to be for the 2007 "!" production. The release says Tommy is to help in that aspect.

Tommy is from my area of the South (he and Nola Jones gave me conducting lessons in the early '80's), and he has been quite successful wherever he has gone (Sky Ryders, Cadets, Phantom, etc.). Given that Phantom and SCV are two of my favorite corps - I'm happy on one hand and bummed out on the other. Oh, well....here's to 2 MONSTER corps making us proud!