Sly to SCV

Funny thing, though ... as much as I loved SCV '04 (it was my favorite SCV show since the early 90s), I didn't really appreciate their horn sound that summer. I might be the only one, but I found them to be a little thin-sounding and top-heavy. Technically great, but just not the deep, rich sound I generally prefer, esp. from a "classical" corps.

Honestly.... we just played REALLY loud... lol... We may not have had the purest, prettiest, most beautiful tone at finals, but we were **** LOUD! I mean, we didn't have a "bad" sound... It just wasn't as clear as it could be, but I guess we didn't work toward that as much......... I guess... I don't remember. lol

The recordings don't really do justice... I guess... You had to be there live... .....you had to be on the field too...

Oh, and to all of you who screamed your guts out at the Vanguard yell, I'll speak for everyone in the corps that when we heard the MASSIVE roar of the crowd, that has got to be the coolest, most spine tingly feel good awesomeness I've ever felt in my life... Rock on drum corps fans!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV already had the best guard out there, I have no clue what else Keenum could do for them, but I will definitely be watching.....

wd.

Remember when SCV placed 2nd in brass 2001 finals? That's when I realized that some scores are flawed.

Use your ears!!!

yeah i realized the same thing when Phantom got announced 2nd in 2006. :sigh: and runs away...

Sigh... I wish I got into music at a much earlier age! All of this technical talk and pure awesomeness of everything just gets me going! Maybe the Renegades can be my first target... I'm going to be 21 in January (age-out right?) and there is NO WAY that I have the talent to compete in any corps right now. I've talked to some people with the Renegades and they said that I should try out regardless of my skill. I've been only playing an instrument for 3 years total!

Off topic for sure so...

very great to see SCV's and everyone else's potential! Too bad summer seems SOOOO far away right now!

BTW:

04 SCV is what got me into DCI and will forever have a place in my heart... Just... absolutely..... awesome

Blue Devils feet/lower body work: Based on assumption on how lower body work/clean feet should be, BD is DEFINITELY great and VERY clean compared to some others I see. There is a part in BD's 06 show, between the 10minute mark and 10:20 mark (based on the DVD multi-cam show), they did something that I personally thought was very nice'n'clean... if anyone can check, is that what was being talked about earlier?

Sigh... I wish I got into music at a much earlier age! All of this technical talk and pure awesomeness of everything just gets me going! Maybe the Renegades can be my first target... I'm going to be 21 in January (age-out right?)

Off-topic, but ... if you're just turning 21 in January (as in next month, Jan. 2007, I'm assuming), then you're golden -- go rook-out somewhere!!! b**bs b**bs (that's me assuming again that you haven't marched somewhere before now)

My choice for you -- Bluecoats, but that's me!! :blush::blush::blush: b**bs

Now, go get it!!!!

For real though, I can't disagree too much with the steady numbers from the past couple of years. However, I do think that the people who give The Cavaliers a hard time for having bad feet are on to something. I don't see a large number of people getting on PR, SCV, or BD for their feet. Granted, it could be because of The Cavaliers recent success, but I do think that those who believe The Cavaliers' feet to be dirty believe so because they can see it themselves. I mentioned earlier about the 'illusion' as I call it. There's so much to look at with all the motion in the knee that the feet aren't really payed attention to that much. All that I know is that when I (me, myself, and I) watch feet I see a very noticeable difference between The Cavaliers and other top tier corps.

Well put. I think the number 1 reason Cavies have dominated this decade so far is design. The top 5-6 corps have very comparable talent, work ethic, etc., I just think it comes down to brilliant design. Everything from the uniform to staging to visual effects to assigning playing responsibility relative to drill responsibility...it's just head and shoulders above most other design teams. I thought the Cadets had better membership in 2000, but the Cavaliers were right there because the design team gave them a show that was, in many ways, perfect.

The uniform is so bringt and busy up top, sometimes you forget to look down low. You want to look at the pretty drill so much, you forget to look at the individual. Why WOULD they spend a lot of time trying to clean up feet when they have two other elements of the design taking away from the importance to do so. I believe the high visual scores reflect that thinking.

Honestly.... we just played REALLY loud... lol... We may not have had the purest, prettiest, most beautiful tone at finals, but we were **** LOUD! I mean, we didn't have a "bad" sound... It just wasn't as clear as it could be, but I guess we didn't work toward that as much......... I guess... I don't remember. lol

The recordings don't really do justice... I guess... You had to be there live... .....you had to be on the field too...

Oh, and to all of you who screamed your guts out at the Vanguard yell, I'll speak for everyone in the corps that when we heard the MASSIVE roar of the crowd, that has got to be the coolest, most spine tingly feel good awesomeness I've ever felt in my life... Rock on drum corps fans!

you're welcome.

i made sure to stand up even more times than the rest of the crowd. (if i remember right, SCV got 4 standing o's before/during/after their show that night)

and thank YOU and the rest of the SCV. forever.

first of all this is way off topic. first of all visual performance and visual ensemble are different. sly does not do visual performance. he has nothing to say about the technique the cavaliers use. but if i continue on this topic u c that the cavalier's ensemble scores do not have to do with the crazy drill they do. they're good at marching individually and look great together as a whole. the technique is almost entirely flawless. other corps have just as much phasing problems as the cavaliers (has anyone seen cadets 05? there's plenty of people off foot not out of phase off on feet entirely). the cavalier's technique just shows more visibly because there is more movement in the legs it is not about pendulums moving in time. it's more mechanical. natural. and yes sometimes they are not together just like other corps. i'll even go to say the corps i march for which is a highly respectable one has bad phasing problems. just give them a break.

Some of my strongest memories from my year with Spirit are the things Sly said to me...both good and bad. :)

I hope this works out well for them. I wonder if something was happening behind the scenes before he left the Cavaliers, or things just happened to fall into place and he couldn't refuse.

Edited by Tekneek