Sly to SCV

Well, not to be biased, but when drill is amazingly difficult (ie scv) it's a lot harder to make it clean then when drill is not as difficult... and if someone where to look at... say 2003 for example... objectively you would see this.

So the little "count the rings" bit... yea, if a show is a 10 in difficult and performed at say.. an 8 level... but a show that's an 8 in difficulty performed at a 9 level.. the first show wins.

I agree with you, and I usually do. :)

PS: How are you?! Long time no see! Missing all your reviews lately...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Vanguard needs any help there. :) They've been snapping like it's their job for decades.

Just clean it.

I'm not saying they need help, I'm saying I hope they don't get rid of it. Although I am sure their lower body will change, they in my opinion have the best upper body in all of DCI. Which could look strange with knee bend.....

Here's to 07 SCV!

Count your rings, Cavaliers, but your feet have been dirrrty.

yeah, visual performance judges have really just been indiscriminately throwing out 19.9's the last couple of years.

back to topic . . . great news for SCV.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

yeah, visual performance judges have really just been indiscriminately throwing out 19.9's the last couple of years.

back to topic . . . great news for SCV.

Honestly, their feet usually are Very dirty. They have some great aspects of their marching, like how relaxed they can look, but timing of feet hasn't been one of them. You can throw as many numbers as you want at me, but when I look objectively, it's not even close. I think a lot of the 'illusion' comes from the nice uniforms as well as so much motion happening in the lower body. Watch only when the feet hit though and you'll see what I mean.

When I think of good timing of feet Cadets 98, 03, and 05 come to mind. Granted, there are parts of each show that have dirty feet but overall they're pretty solid. Also, I will be the first to admit there are many years where our timing of feet is easily sub-par.

...and back on topic, good moves for SCV. I hope it lives up to the hype like in 04 with Gino. I remember being very impressed with the improvement, especially in brass, they made that summer. Looking forward to a great show from Vanguard this summer.

With Pete Weber writing the drill, and I believe another former marching member of the Cavaliers on the guard staff, make SCV the next corps to officially become colonized by the Green Machine. I swear that corps has the highest import-export ratio of staff members in DCI, pretty ridiculous considering how Cavalier-oriented their staff has been in the past. With the notable exceptions of David Bertman in '01 and the Jims last year, marching in the corps seems to be the only way to come in and teach it.

But I also believe this is a good thing. The only people that can really clean Cavalier drill are people that have insight into way they perform it. Best example is last year's SCV show. An amazing level of detail in the visual design by Weber, but you just can't clean that kind of high velocity, geometric drill while guiding. Sly is the master, and he's proved that since taking over the caption head at the Cavaliers. I would watch out for SCV, at least in the visual aspect over the next couple of years. If they take to Sly's teachings, they will be great.

at the audition camp we were practically promised to have an amazing staff, though they didn't tell us this....

Ya, and if I remember correctly, *cough* we lived up to all the hype *cough*....

It's not about rings... It's about getting remembered.

PS: GREAT news for SCV!

Ya... and if I remember correctly, *cough* we didn't live up to the potential of the show *cough*

Your absolutely right it's not about rings, it's about being remembered... Great words of wisdom from the man himself - Ironically enough a former visual caption Myron Rosander...

I was there man- I remember it all... from beginning to end

I don't think that the over all look and vibe will change in reference to the marching technique... I do think that it will be modified to fit the needs of a new system, but I think the essence will remain unchanged... SCV's gone through a few visual changes over the years (the transition to Myron, Ron, From Myron etc.) It is my belief that the marching style will always be Santa Clara... not Cavaliers

It's all exciting news, but the same hype surrounded 2004 when Gino came on board... take a step back, re-analyze, and what will happen will happen... Regardless of whether God himself were on staff at SCV, SCV would still be SCV. Don't be fair weather fans...

Let me be the first to say that your screenname is unbelievably annoying because it breaks the left table every time you post.