Sly to SCV

Honestly, their feet usually are Very dirty. They have some great aspects of their marching, like how relaxed they can look, but timing of feet hasn't been one of them. You can throw as many numbers as you want at me, but when I look objectively, it's not even close. I think a lot of the 'illusion' comes from the nice uniforms as well as so much motion happening in the lower body. Watch only when the feet hit though and you'll see what I mean.

When I think of good timing of feet Cadets 98, 03, and 05 come to mind. Granted, there are parts of each show that have dirty feet but overall they're pretty solid. Also, I will be the first to admit there are many years where our timing of feet is easily sub-par.

Member of one corps thinks his corps is clean but thinks a corps his corps competes with is not. Film at 11.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Member of one corps thinks his corps is clean but thinks a corps his corps competes with is not. Film at 11.

He admitted that the Cadets feet are dirty some years, and only specifically mentions 3 years when they are clean.

I have never heard a Cavalier admit that their feet are dirty.

He admitted that the Cadets feet are dirty some years, and only specifically mentions 3 years when they are clean.

I have never heard a Cavalier admit that their feet are dirty.

Everyone's feet are dirty.

I'm not sure what you mean by Film 11, but I will easily admit to not being clean in many areas. Keep in mind that I'm trying to be as objective as I can, even though I know this is all still subjective.

Each year we have our strengths and weaknesses. Most would agree that The Cadets can produce a very strong drumline. I will say that when they have strong visual performance (including timing of feet) they're pretty amazing. I could say the same thing for BD and a lot of that comes from my style preference. I do not think The Cavaliers are strong with timing of feet. However, they sure can wipe the floors with people in visual ensemble, their hornline, and creativity. I think the Cavaliers are fantastic and in many ways show their professionalism in just how clean they can get. Timing of feet just isn't something I would label as a strong aspect for them, imo.

But how do you judge how good a corps is at timing in the feet?

You can look at basically every corps ever at any moment in time and find someone struggling behind time maybe just a little bit. In the same way that BD gets blasted for having "easy" shows, or how "Phantom sucks at visual", people often cite the Cavaliers as having "dirty feet".

In this case, wouldn't the judge know best? I mean, he/she is right on the field, looking at feet. Wouldn't they know best? Would this maybe one of the few captions where there's some degree of objectivity?

I just say this because while it's popular to say the Cavaliers have dirty feet, it's simply not shown in the numbers. After all, they have won two of the last three visual performance captions.

But how do you judge how good a corps is at timing in the feet?

You can look at basically every corps ever at any moment in time and find someone struggling behind time maybe just a little bit. In the same way that BD gets blasted for having "easy" shows, or how "Phantom sucks at visual", people often cite the Cavaliers as having "dirty feet".

In this case, wouldn't the judge know best? I mean, he/she is right on the field, looking at feet. Wouldn't they know best? Would this maybe one of the few captions where there's some degree of objectivity?

I just say this because while it's popular to say the Cavaliers have dirty feet, it's simply not shown in the numbers. After all, they have won two of the last three visual performance captions.

Only thing I could say on the numbers is that it's about uniformity of technique. So when you think about it, they get credit because everyone is out of time, so it's uniform. b**bs

For real though, I can't disagree too much with the steady numbers from the past couple of years. However, I do think that the people who give The Cavaliers a hard time for having bad feet are on to something. I don't see a large number of people getting on PR, SCV, or BD for their feet. Granted, it could be because of The Cavaliers recent success, but I do think that those who believe The Cavaliers' feet to be dirty believe so because they can see it themselves. I mentioned earlier about the 'illusion' as I call it. There's so much to look at with all the motion in the knee that the feet aren't really payed attention to that much. All that I know is that when I (me, myself, and I) watch feet I see a very noticeable difference between The Cavaliers and other top tier corps.

I agree with both of you guys.....sure SCV 04 was amazing, but in reality their brass program did not improve much. Both season highs were 19.3, so if people thought that by Gino coming in and they would win brass...then I guess they didn't live up to the hype since they didn't improve by much.

When I listen to SCV from 2001-2003, then listen to SCV 2004, I hear such a difference in the ensemble sound of the hornline that I have a hard time understanding why their brass score didn't improve. Those first three years on multi-key are hard for me to listen to because the sopranos are so thin sounding, plus I heard more fracks pre-2004.

When I listen to SCV from 2001-2003, then listen to SCV 2004, I hear such a difference in the ensemble sound of the hornline that I have a hard time understanding why their brass score didn't improve. Those first three years on multi-key are hard for me to listen to because the sopranos are so thin sounding, plus I heard more fracks pre-2004.

Funny thing, though ... as much as I loved SCV '04 (it was my favorite SCV show since the early 90s), I didn't really appreciate their horn sound that summer. I might be the only one, but I found them to be a little thin-sounding and top-heavy. Technically great, but just not the deep, rich sound I generally prefer, esp. from a "classical" corps.

Funny thing, though ... as much as I loved SCV '04 (it was my favorite SCV show since the early 90s), I didn't really appreciate their horn sound that summer. I might be the only one, but I found them to be a little thin-sounding and top-heavy. Technically great, but just not the deep, rich sound I generally prefer, esp. from a "classical" corps.

I do wonder when they switched from the all-euph line they had in '01. THAT low brass was a joy to listen to.