Top 5 Most Influencial Shows of All Time

I know I'm a bit biased but I think the facts bear me out. In terms of being most "influentual" my choice is the 1982 Garfield Cadets. THIS was the show which took asymetrical design to the next level following Pete Emmons innovations in 1980. Using the music of American composers, this show began to change how other corps began to program music. You can begin to see how influentual this show was by changes in others corps in 1983. Hey, we were even the first corps to use scaffolding for a drum major podium. How's that for innovation Seriously, 83-85 all won and took the activity to new levels each year. It's even difficult to choose one year over another. Just remember this, it all began with 82.

Point well taken - like I said, it was a little before my time. However, I do own CDs with the recordings from those years, and the 83 one always seemed like night and day compared with 82. I have no problem pushing it a year earlier.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1984 Garfield Cadets - famous asymetric drill

2000 Cavaliers - starting the "morphing" or "kaliedescope" drill movement

Blue Devils - pretty much any year with their brass sound

Santa Clara Vanguard - pretty much any year with their battery arrangements

...waiting for #5 to happen...something really new...guess 2005 Cadets would fall under that category

Dutch Boy 2006: Proving that that music should have been used long before they got ahold of it, as well as that the repetoire of a show itself can have a great effect on opinions no matter who plays it.
Okay, we're talking about South Park, come on...

Ya and that show showed the drum corps world that the music in that movie was worth more than just the lyrics.

If you haven't seen the show, find some one with the DVD and you'll see what I mean !!

Here are my choices:

1991 Star of Indiana- Outstanding hornline (go mellos), breathtaking drill, and an excellent use of Resphigi.

1983 Garfield Cadets- This show started a long line of championships for them. Who can ever forget the Z pull?

1996 Phantom Regiment- The beautiful lush sounds of their great brassline.

2006 Cavaliers- "Machine" had the total package. Awesome!

1976 Blue Devils- The first of many championships using big band jazz & great Wayne Downey arrangements.

Phantom '81. (great explanation, Tom.......I actually have one of the librettos, thanks to uncle z.) I'd agree that it's the first show that comes to mind when I think of a corps that specifically made audience members feel as if they were part of the show, and effectively conveyed the aura of the theme so that everyone knew what they were portraying on the field.

Suncoast '85. Most definitely. More people should be picking this one, especially with the increased usage of original music in this decade. Plus, uhhh....HOLY #### WHAT A HORNLINE/music book.

SCV '80, obvious reasons. Asymmetrical drill, if it's not obvious to some.

Star '93, mind-blowingly ahead of its time. I think seeing it in theaters was the first time I've ever really seen the whole thing. I was stunned the entire time, hardly blinking, all the way back in my seat. Really. Soooooooooo indescribably effective at conveying what the designers had in mind.

Cadets '83-85...specifically 83 if I had to pick one.

5 off the top of my head; I feel kind of bad about not being able to pick a Cavaliers show (especially since their style of drill, unique since even before the 90's, has surely made countless numbers of drill-writers in the activity take notice), but it's really hard to pinpoint ONE that I feel has changed the activity. Same with the Blue Devils, sort of. I'm sure I could easily pick one out (the '86 show is surely one of the most unbelievable shows of all time; an absolutely overpowering performance, musically), but the others seemed more justified on my list. I hope in 10 years I can say BD 2006, because if all shows were more like that as far as musical direction/thematic design/overall package goes (i.e., similar to how they were in the '90's; almost a throwback kind of show), then I'll be eternally grateful. I love 90's drum corps (and love 2000's athleticism and whatnot), so BD 2006 could possibly be considered my ideal modern show. If it turns out to be influential, I most definitely wouldn't complain.

I just don't see the 'influential' in SCV89, Cavies03, BD00, Dutch Boy06, VK92, Cadets99, SCV00, BD03, SkyRyders84, Cadets98, Star91, PR03, SCV92, SCV83, BD04, SCV99, PR96, Scouts97, SCV98, SCV88, BD94, or Cavies06.

That's all.

From my era:

Cavaliers 1971 - arguably the first "concept" show.

Vanguard 1973 - Fred Sanford takes marching percussion in a new, more musical direction - the impact is still being felt today.

Vanguard 1980 - Asymmetric drill, forerunner to the remarkable visual programs that would follow.

Cadets 1983 - Garfield takes the visual ball from SCV and runs with it. The Cadets raised the bar for both visual and musical demand, blowing away the limits of what could be performed on the field.

Star 1993 - Controversial, to be sure; Star ushered in the contemporary era.

Here are my choices:

1991 Star of Indiana- Outstanding hornline (go mellos), breathtaking drill, and an excellent use of Resphigi.

1983 Garfield Cadets- This show started a long line of championships for them. Who can ever forget the Z pull?

1996 Phantom Regiment- The beautiful lush sounds of their great brassline.

2006 Cavaliers- "Machine" had the total package. Awesome!

1976 Blue Devils- The first of many championships using big band jazz & great Wayne Downey arrangements.

I thought Jim Ott was the arranger for BD in 76. Just out of curiosity, am I correct?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

I just don't see the 'influential' in SCV89, Cavies03, BD00, Dutch Boy06, VK92, Cadets99, SCV00, BD03, SkyRyders84, Cadets98, Star91, PR03, SCV92, SCV83, BD04, SCV99, PR96, Scouts97, SCV98, SCV88, BD94, or Cavies06.

Agreed - great shows, but not in the way the topic demands

I thought Jim Ott was the arranger for BD in 76. Just out of curiosity, am I correct?

Yes you are correct, Jim Ott arranged all of BD's shows through at least 78' and maybe even further into the 70's.

I know he arranged Chicago III suite, not sure about the rest of those shows.

Edited by Russellrks