142 members have voted

1. 1. Pass?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, won't the miss a lot by being so far from the battery? Think about what we can hear on some of the judges tapes that are floting aroudn that we really can't tell much about on the official audio.

one up, one down, and IMO, brass should have this too.

I would vote yes. You can even tag an "absolutely" on there. Half of a percussion judge's brain is devoted to avoiding catastophe early in the season. That's no good. Also, DCI percussion judges aren't going to miss much even in they're in the stands. Say all you want about the quality of judging...they're trained well. Also, DCI percussion TECHS spend almost all their time cleaning the notes that are already there. Drum judges offer lots of input on musicality/composition during the early season. Being away from the havoc will help them get a sense of the big picture which would help so much more in producing those quality comments.

Not to mention the fact that they'll be able to better understand where important, exposed moments are happening, as well as gradually develop a clear line of site through all the muck drum corps are throwing on the field these days (a.k.a. - drill).

And no head-butting between judges. Averaged scores don't matter much if two guys are paying attention to completely different things. Leave it to THE guy that's catching what HE catches, the way HE has it planned out. There is no perfect way to do it, but I think this will help percussion sections produce some better quality stuff.

In My Humble Opinion.

-B

Edited by BenHall

Are the judges supposed to take notes on drill so they are less likely to get caught in rapidly moving forms once they do get on the field after July 4? That argument is moot. They're still gonna get knocked around once in a while.

Garry in Vegas

Can't believe no one has noticed this....

Look at the dates. Judge in the stands through July 4, on the field starting July 5. Now, look at the division I show lineups. One of DCI's member corps would never be judged from the stands - the Cavaliers. Interestingly, the proposal was made by Jeff Fiedler, director of the Cavaliers.

I'd have to say "no" to this one. Logistics prevent it from being fairly applied to all corps.