What costs more....

It's mostly high schools and individuals buying these horns.

Thanks, still getting used to the idea of high school owning their own equipement. In my area (many years ago) the school only owned percussion and Sousaphones.

Mmmmm, wonder how a corps budget plans would be affected if they didn't sell as much equipment as expected.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

based on the MSRP listed in the Bluestars sale here are the numbers.

Hornline is more.

Musser Sideline Equipment Model # Date Avail Qty Avail MSRP

4.5 Octave Marimba M7365 Immediately 2 $9,640 $19,280

Gold Bar 3.0 Octave Vibraphones M8055G Immediately 3 $6,880 $20,640

Pro Portable 3.5 Octave Xylophone M8051 Immediately 1 $3,550 $3,550

Symphonic Chimes - 1.5 Octave M661CCT Immediately 1 $6,650 $6,650

Tympani Hammered with Gauges LKP505PG Immediately 1 $17,450 $17,450

16x32 Concert Bass Drum** LECB62X8-WB Immediately 2 $2,075 $4,150

Concert Toms 6", 8", 10", 12" LECT62CC Immediately 2 $1,435 $2,870

Concert Toms 13", 14", 15", 16" LECT36CC Immediately 2 $1,740 $3,480

Entire Front Line TOTAL $78,070

King Marching Brass (Manufacturer's Information) Model # Date Avail Qty Avail MSRP

King Ultimate Marching Series Trumpet - Silver 1117-SP Aug-07 26 $1,450 $37,700

King Ultimate Marching Series Mellophone - Silver 1121-SP Aug-07 14 $1,825 $25,550

King Ultimate Marching Series Baritone - Silver 1127-SP Aug-07 8 $2,375 $19,000

King Ultimate Marching Series Euphonium - Silver 1129-SP Aug-07 12 $2,695 $32,340

King Ultimate Marching Series Tuba - Silver 1141-SP Aug-07 12 $6,950 $83,400

TOTAL $197,990

Typical horn player, I really over estimated the cost of the keyboards in the pit.

Thanks Bluecoat88.....

Anyone with "life expectacy" of pit instruments?

One additional costs to the pit would be all the mallets they go through. I know that's not as significant as the equipment itself but it is an additional costs.

One additional costs to the pit would be all the mallets they go through. I know that's not as significant as the equipment itself but it is an additional costs.

For some, all mallets and sticks are free, but the costs would apply to others.

My understanding of the deal Hopkins negotiated Yamaha: Both YEA! corps get a full hornline and battery every season (for free). The corps then sells the instruments at the end of each season and keeps the money. I don't think they get the instruments a reduced cost up front, but they might. One person I talked to that used to work for YEA! told me this, and I am pretty sure they got the details right. They told me it was the best deal anyone has negotiated with an instrument company, and it sounds like it. However the deal works, YEA! is selling their stuff yearly.

Other "top" corps get the instruments at no cost, but the companies retain owenership. At the end of a period of use the instruments are taken back and refurbished, then sold as such. Treatment of a corps is directly proportional to how good they are. Top corps are getting new drums yearly while some corps have to keep the drums for a few seasons. Other corps buy instruments out right, or are sponsored for partial cost.

Drums is the number one sponsorship, and pit equipment follows. Sticks are usually free to most top corps, or at a very reduced cost. I'm not sure, but my guess is only the top five or six corps have brass sponsorships.

As far as the OP, my guess is a full brassline costs way more than a full pit. Also, anyone paying list or book price for anything needs their head examined, the MSRP is a joke in the instrument world.

My understanding of the deal Hopkins negotiated Yamaha: Both YEA! corps get a full hornline and battery every season (for free). The corps then sells the instruments at the end of each season and keeps the money. I don't think they get the instruments a reduced cost up front, but they might. One person I talked to that used to work for YEA! told me this, and I am pretty sure they got the details right. They told me it was the best deal anyone has negotiated with an instrument company, and it sounds like it. However the deal works, YEA! is selling their stuff yearly.

Other "top" corps get the instruments at no cost, but the companies retain owenership. At the end of a period of use the instruments are taken back and refurbished, then sold as such. Treatment of a corps is directly proportional to how good they are. Top corps are getting new drums yearly while some corps have to keep the drums for a few seasons. Other corps buy instruments out right, or are sponsored for partial cost.

Drums is the number one sponsorship, and pit equipment follows. Sticks are usually free to most top corps, or at a very reduced cost. I'm not sure, but my guess is only the top five or six corps have brass sponsorships.

As far as the OP, my guess is a full brassline costs way more than a full pit. Also, anyone paying list or book price for anything needs their head examined, the MSRP is a joke in the instrument world.

I think Cavaliers do something similar with Yamaha. I think they sell the horns every two years; at least that's what I've noticed on their website and think I remember someone from the organization saying that.

based on the MSRP listed in the Bluestars sale here are the numbers.

Hornline is more.

Musser Sideline Equipment Model # Date Avail Qty Avail MSRP

4.5 Octave Marimba M7365 Immediately 2 $9,640 $19,280

Gold Bar 3.0 Octave Vibraphones M8055G Immediately 3 $6,880 $20,640

Pro Portable 3.5 Octave Xylophone M8051 Immediately 1 $3,550 $3,550

Symphonic Chimes - 1.5 Octave M661CCT Immediately 1 $6,650 $6,650

Tympani Hammered with Gauges LKP505PG Immediately 1 $17,450 $17,450

16x32 Concert Bass Drum** LECB62X8-WB Immediately 2 $2,075 $4,150

Concert Toms 6", 8", 10", 12" LECT62CC Immediately 2 $1,435 $2,870

Concert Toms 13", 14", 15", 16" LECT36CC Immediately 2 $1,740 $3,480

Entire Front Line TOTAL $78,070

Those prices on the MSRP are definitely highballed. I know for a fact that brand new vibes run between 4,000-4,500 brand new through a music store. Xylophones are about 2,000-2,500 brand new. Marimbas are expensive and can run between 7,000-9,000 for a 4.5 octave. I believe a 4.3 octave Adams on a field frame can be had for between 3,500-4,000.