This might get me in trouble, but...

I mean this with no disrespect, but I'm putting my flame retardant on anyhow...

If indeed The Cadets are so hamstrung by basic rules such as 135, woodwinds, electronics, and the like, why haven't they just gone on and done their own thing? Star of Indiana showed that not only can it be done, it can become whatever you want it to. The Cadets, if they are this held back, might do well to follow that path.

I know, I know; it's different, right? I'm sorry, but after years and years of defiantly begging for huge rule changes, and not even taking the time to "clean up" the requests he's made thus far, how can anyone take this seriously? Everyone else who submitted rule changes seemed to have well thought out ideas. In Mr. Hopkins' case, he seems to just simply want to make the noise over and over...

Well, maybe The Holy Name Garfield Cadets of Bergen County should start looking for a marching band circuit, or a broadway stage, or a whole new outlook. Though I know the Star exit was contentious, difficult, nasty, and in some cases rather low and seedy, it worked for both DCI and Star. It was a good parting for both parties.

Maybe it's nearing that time again...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm inclined to agree. Everyone would win. We would have drum corps, and Mr. Hopkins and the fans of the activity he is envisioning would have his group. Maybe even let the Cadets remain a drum corps and start a new group with YEA to put into reality the ideas he has.

It's true, and it's a good point, but the one thing I would use as reasoning would be money. Star has the millions and whatnot in extra resources that (I'm pretty sure) the Cadets don't have.

That, and George Hopkins doesn't just want to do his own thing, he wants everyone else to do it too. His "vision" isn't just for the Cadets, it's for the drum corps activity in general.

It would be sad seeing them leave. However, it would also be exciting at the same time. George's proposals are well thought out ideas. Jusy because you don't agree with them doesn't make them dumb. I may not agree with all of them, but he sure has some strong reasoning behind the changes and I understand exactly why he wants the change.

And the other corps that support these same ideas should leave too?

It's not just the Cadets. He just happens to put the ideas out there. At the corps I teach at, I would say over 90% of the staff wants electronics to pass.

And the other corps that support these same ideas should leave too?

It's not just the Cadets. He just happens to put the ideas out there. At the corps I teach at, I would say over 90% of the staff wants electronics to pass.

"Exodus to Summer Marching Band?":

Don't be too surprised to see something like this actually happen in your lifetimes. All of the elements and the people to do it are in place.

Elphaba

"Exodus to Summer Marching Band?":

Don't be too surprised to see something like this actually happen in your lifetimes. All of the elements and the people to do it are in place.

Elphaba

To do what? For current DCI corps to leave for another circuit? For another circuit to start? What elements and people are in place?

I have to agree.

It might be time for the Cadets to find their own greener pastures, and leave the activity we call Drum Corps so that we may have it in the future.