The Case for Woodwinds in Drum Corps

Has anyone who has actually MADE the change had any complains or problems with having been 'forced' to LEARN a brass instrument? I've never heard anyone express that it was anything but 100% worth it.

The musical approach to drum corps is not symphonic. It's a homogenized sound that is supposed to meld together as one, and you shouldn't be able to hear individual instruments.

The sound of a marching band is supposed to emulate the sound of a symphonic band (a drum corps, on the other hand, is not supposed to emulate the sound of a brass band, as the two are approached with two different musical philosophies). While the intent is one unified sound, individual instruments are supposed to be heard:

The entire approach to what each should sound like is completely different. The instrumentation provided for each activity is chosen to conform with the respective philosophy

Is this from the New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, New Harvard Dictionary of Music....or from Hrothgar's endless well of knowledge?

Edited by ChicagoFan

Is this from the New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, New Harvard Dictionary of Music....or from Hrothgar's endless well of knowledge?

From my knowledge.

Is it harder for woodwind players?

Yes.

Welcome to drum corps. It's hard.

Very well put! :rolleyes::huh2::peek:

Edited by bass5

Way to ignore my posts and turn it into the typical DCP topic. Instead of talking about woodwinds, you're talking about the commitment level of someone you don't know?

Go to a DCI show and you'll see the thousands of high school groups that attend these events. Right from the gate, at least half of them will never consider it. There are a few of us that are willing to make the change and put out the extra effort, but most of those kids never even give it a second look.That's okay for people on here, since they've already had the experience.

Why are there no woodwinds in drum corps? It seems that most arguments boil down to "because it's drum corps". As if the name is a good enough reason to keep it the way it is.

::awaits more sarcastic replies::

You miss the point.

Drum Corps being what it is....is EXACTLY the reason to keep it the way it is.

Way to ignore my posts and turn it into the typical DCP topic. Instead of talking about woodwinds, you're talking about the commitment level of someone you don't know?

Go to a DCI show and you'll see the thousands of high school groups that attend these events. Right from the gate, at least half of them will never consider it. There are a few of us that are willing to make the change and put out the extra effort, but most of those kids never even give it a second look.That's okay for people on here, since they've already had the experience.

Why are there no woodwinds in drum corps? It seems that most arguments boil down to "because it's drum corps". As if the name is a good enough reason to keep it the way it is.

::awaits more sarcastic replies::

Drum corps is a unique experience created by its unique structure. You want them to change all of that because you didn't figure out that you had to have the opportunity to march The Cadets until you were 19. You still have that opportunity, right now. Get off your duff, join a D2 or D3 corps. Work your butt off, gain experience and have a great time IN DRUM CORPS. Then, next year, if you have worked hard enough, you will make The Cadets and no one will ever doubt your commitment or work ethic. Why are there no woodwinds in drum corps? Because it's drum corps. There are also bands. You have the opportunity to be part of both, as I did.

The Case for Woodwinds in Drum Corps

As both a BOA and DCI fan, I think we have to seriously consider allowing the inclusion of woodwinds into drum corps.

First of all, the most important benefit of allowing woodwinds is to expand the activity to more people.

Well.....I think that we should focus on getting more corps established before worrying about adding instrumentation. As you have mentioned....every winter thousands of potential members try out for a corps and get cut. Need more corps first IMO

There seems to be a fear on these boards when it comes to adding woodwinds to drum corps. The typical response is sarcastic or shallow

Is it shallow or sarcastic to love something (Whatever it may be) just the way it is ?? Why would I (Or someone else) want to put mustard on their french fries if they love ketchup ?? I love the all-brass and percussion sounds of drum corps. Is there something complicated or unusal about that ?? I like marching bands just the way they are.

Isnt moderation the key to life ?? Why do we want everything to merge together and sound alike ?

Don’t lie to yourself – you know you’ll all come back when they add woodwinds. Drum corps fans are extremely committed to the activity…for all the talk of giving it up forever, I doubt you’ll leave the stands empty when DCI comes to your area.

Dont be so sure on this one. Many fans have already left the activity and I believe that a HUGE chunk will leave if woodwinds are allowed. I for one live in an area that has plenty of other drum corps shows (DCA and Alumni) to go to. I will not keep spending time and money on something that I dont like....and woodwinds in my drum corps is something I WON'T LIKE !!

Triple Forte

Why will half of them never consider it? Because they play a different instrument? It has already been mentioned. There are woodwind players in every single drum corps in DCI

So you see a really cool car (drum corps) on the street (field), and you go, "man, it would be so cool to have (be in) one of those!" Then you find out it costs $21,000 (you don't play an instrument they use). But you only have $400 (play a woodwind) because you are 13 years old. What are your options?

1. Never consider owning a car (being in drum corps) because you "don't have enough money" (play a woodwind)

2. Figure out how you will acquire the prerequisites (in this case money, in dci's case, brass ability), make a plan, and put it in action.

The choice is up to you.

... so what if you live in the US, but you think it would be really cool to know Japanese? Well, all the people who live in Japan (march DCI) already know Japanese (how to play a brass instrument). That's not fair is it? People in the US should speak Japanese, that way everyone can learn it (drum corps should be open to all instruments).

If you want to play hockey, but you cannot skate very well, do you demand that hockey moves to a different surface? Or do you learn to skate?