DCA:THE VOTE

Unfortunately, we all have yet to agree on just what 'the right thing' is.

Love,

Captain Obvious

beer for all

:P

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmm.....

(Picturing myself running into a closed meeting yelling "Ravens 13, Colts 0 at the half.... WOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOO!!!".... then picturing the next order of business at the meeting being a vote to ban me from all future meetings..... b**bs )

Fran

you say that like it's a bad thing

Wasn't THAT vote taken long ago? :P

Only for his shirts! :P

Well stated!!!

Thanks man B)

So an new organization (corps) of 40 members from somewhere(anywhere) should get the same vote power as The Empire Statesmen (or Brigadiers, Cabs, Bucs, MBI, Corpsvets...) in the direction and rules of DCA?... Is this equal representation of membership/people/alumni/resources/fans' interests? Certainly not.

Yes this gets into "gray area" real quick - acknowledged. Understood.

Remember this is a business endeavor and must be preserved and maintained for it's own survival. But be comforted to know that those who stand to lose the most will fight the hardest for it's survival. Growth must be nurtured, be sustainable, be credible and be prudent.

Obviously, the circuit is not a welfare state. Growth begins, starts and ends at home. Certainly there are real factors that make some places better suited than others: distance, population, local/community resources, interest. Know your market.

It appears that the decreased vote number proposal is both arbitrary and designed to lessen the risk of a "less representative" (less stable?) voting block. (see first paragraph) - and NOT targeted at any one corps in particular.

IMHO. Sensible.

Any "Entitlement Generation" folks out there? feel free to flame away...

Just sayin' yo.

So an new organization (corps) of 40 members from somewhere(anywhere) should get the same vote power as The Empire Statesmen (or Brigadiers, Cabs, Bucs, MBI, Corpsvets...) in the direction and rules of DCA?... Is this equal representation of membership/people/alumni/resources/fans' interests? Certainly not.

Um, new corps can't vote under the current system either.

As for the idea of voting "shares", feel free to discuss. That's gotta be a better idea than the proposal on the table right now....

Wasn't THAT vote taken long ago? :P

So that explains why every time I go to a DCA meeting, they tell me the meeting is being held in the hotel lobby! B)

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Yes this gets into "gray area" real quick - acknowledged. Understood.

Remember this is a business endeavor and must be preserved and maintained for it's own survival. But be comforted to know that those who stand to lose the most will fight the hardest for it's survival. Growth must be nurtured, be sustainable, be credible and be prudent.

Obviously, the circuit is not a welfare state. Growth begins, starts and ends at home. Certainly there are real factors that make some places better suited than others: distance, population, local/community resources, interest. Know your market.

It appears that the decreased vote number proposal is both arbitrary and designed to lessen the risk of a "less representative" (less stable?) voting block. (see first paragraph) - and NOT targeted at any one corps in particular.

IMHO. Sensible.

Just sayin' yo.

You don't grow and improve by being exclusionary....especially when the rule proposal discussed could put a particular corps in teh position of WINNING DCA and still not getting a vote...

es this gets into "gray area" real quick - acknowledged. Understood.

Just sayin' yo.

As a person that has benn involved in Drum and Bugle Corps since 1960. I would like to say your statement has both merit and folly.

I agree that the groups that have been around longer should have MORE of a say (Power). BUT that even the newest should have a REAL say in how things are done. That keeps the Interest and Growh going.

UNlike DCI where the top 12 have TOTAL control of everyone and is shrinking. DCA is Growing all over North America.

I honestly believe that ALL Corps should have a vote. (That is every corps that has paid their dues, membership fees and attended The Championships.)

BUT

I also feel that every corps that makes the Top 12 Open and Top 3 A Class, should get another vote. Then every corps that has been a member for at least 5 or 8 or 10 (whatever amount) continus years should get another vote.

I think that would make everyone feel like a Full Member, Reward Quality(top 12 open, top 3 A class) AND maintain Stability .

So corps like Empire,Bucks etc, would get 3 votes. NY Sky, Kilts etc 2 votes, all other newer, non finalist 1 vote.

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni