Most Over Hyped & Under Hyped SCV show of all time....

I have wanted to do this series for quite some time now. What I will be doing is every Sunday night I am going to post the most over hyped & under hyped show from a particular corps in their repertoire history. This week it is SCV and who knows about next week, suggestions are welcomed. This is not to bash on any given show, but rather propose why a particular show is in your opinion over hyped or not hyped enough. (The latter being the more important to me) I would also enjoy feedback on other opinions. Also, don’t just list years, but give reasons to why you think this is the case. Also, I will only comment on shows that I have seen or heard in my DCI experience.

Okay without further interruption….

Over hyped….

1989. Shocker, I know. Here is my deal. I like 1989, I like 1988. I tend to think that 1988 is better from an execution standpoint. However, if I had to show someone who had never seen a drum corps show before, this would be one of the ten shows that I might show them. This show is well scored and arranged, has several high impact moments, but there were several mistakes and I am not trying to get in a discussion of who should of won in 1989, but this show tends to be favored as all time bests IMO a little more than it should. Great show, but the best in all aspects of 1989 let alone other SCV shows… not even close.

Under hyped……..

Up until a few years ago I would have said 1990. Great, great horn & percussion sections (Smokin’ hot guard too). Sixth place are you kidding me? I love the Carmen show, it just lacks emotion which 1989 had a ton of. However, I am going to say 2005. I love that show, I find it a better listen than watch. I am a late 1980s to early 1990s DCI fan. That is when I was first exposed to DCI. To me this show is a flash back to that time period. Not an insult, I promise. I love every part of the 2005 show, and while the closer is no 1987, it still had an impact for me. If only you could have that music with the 2006 design, you would have a phenomenal show. Really, listen to 2005, it has the emotion that 1990 lacks, otherwise I may be talking about 1990.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool topic.

Overhyped I'd say 1988. 1989 will always be better in my book, yet everyone here seems to claim how much better '88 was.

Underhyped, definitely 2003. Drum corps bliss. :ph34r:

overhyped is 1999 imo. I thought it was a little boring compared to most of the SCV stuff. Underhyped... 1992 :ph34r:

-Weedy

Overhyped- 2005, by far.

Overhyped is DEFINITELY 2004.

Underhyped: 1998. There were a lot of mistakes in this show but there were also some GREAT things going on there.

....my .02 cents....

I think 2006 may be their most under hyped show. This was absolutely amazing, and I thought deserving of a top 4 finish, behind Cavies, BD, and Cadets.

Over hyped 89. I love this show, but the performance level to me just wasn't up to some of their other shows. I think it deserved 1st place that year, but it just wasn't at the execution level that I would have liked.