What do you really want out of DCI

I guess I have a comment to add....don't know if it's feasible...but hey...let's try.

Call it MAI. Marching Arts Incorporated.

Three sub orgs...WGI, DCI, BOA (sorry George...your band circuit stays independent.) Its already got a good thing going out east.

Headquartered in Indianapolis. Marching Arts conventions in Indianapolis. All three championships in...you get the point.

How about sharing of resources, pooling of talent....crossover possibilites are phenomenal.

So, maybe DCI becomes part of something bigger...

Just a thought.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I have a comment to add....don't know if it's feasible...but hey...let's try.

Call it MAI. Marching Arts Incorporated.

Three sub orgs...WGI, DCI, BOA (sorry George...your band circuit stays independent.) Its already got a good thing going out east.

Headquartered in Indianapolis. Marching Arts conventions in Indianapolis. All three championships in...you get the point.

How about sharing of resources, pooling of talent....crossover possibilites are phenomenal.

So, maybe DCI becomes part of something bigger...

Just a thought.

Most likely already started: Music for All. http://www.musicforall.org/

I realize this is the extreme. but if that does come true. then it would not be classified as drum and bugle corps, since drums and bugles are not in it. and would not be allowed to be with DCI. or DCI would have to change so that they could do such a thing. It's just not feesible, it's rediculous to think that DCI would even allow it to get to this point.

There is no rule saying you HAVE to use drums and bugles.

You could march 100 horns, 34 guard and DM if you want.

Your percussion score is likely to suffer LOL

But you can do it.

As long as you are using allowable instruments there is nothing saying you have to use them all.

If electronics get passed, you can choose to not use horns.

Again, I went to the extreme to make a point.

If you CAN do it, sooner or later a corps WILL do it.

Bets example right now is amps.

The big argument for legalizing amps was to amplify the pit, nothing else.

BUT since singing vocals thru the amps is not AGAINST the rules, corps started doing it.

While I disagree with pretty much every opinion MikeD holds, I think his opinions are as valid as anyone elses.

He gets bashed alot (sometimes by me) for holding opinions that seem to go against the relatively vast majority on DCP, but that doesn't mean he is necessarily wrong. (not all the time anyway)

If it wasn't for people exressing opposing viewpoints this site would be pretty boring.

Thanks. Everyone is free to have an opinion. You have your wrong ones, and I have my correct ones ( :P )

On another note, I once again find myself in disagreement with MikeD (big surprise)

I think the general audience WILL care if instruments are sampled vs. played.

The vast majority of Drum Corps fans are Drum Corps alumni, or people who had an association with a corps thru family or volunteer work.

I, as an alumni, would care a great deal whether someone is playing a marimba, or simply pushing a button and letting a synth play itself.

Again, the extreme is having 5 guys with "samplers" in the pist and putting a HUGE colorguard out there.

why not? no more need for inmstruments at that point.

To me the challenge of corps is having a challenging program and performing it the best you can.

For every electronic gadget we add, it takes something away from that.

I fail to see the attraction of being the best "sampler" you can be.

We used to have extreme examples like the above all the time in judging clinics. Always thought they were bogus, as they do not reflect reality.

Would I mind a keyboard being used as a piano? No. Or a string section? Again, no.

How about a small corps that does not have the pit players but does have a great piano player who could create a vibe sound...not a prob to me.

So the lack of applause for The Cadets this year means what?

That maybe they were not quite as good as they were in 05..the year of Bjork and drumspeak that received great applause. BTW...on the DVD of finals they did indeed get great applause.

That maybe they were not quite as good as they were in 05..the year of Bjork and drumspeak that received great applause. BTW...on the DVD of finals they did indeed get great applause.

If it's only based on talent, why did Carolina Crown and Santa Clara Vanguard get much more applause than the Cadets did?

Good point. A few people on internet forums pushing for electronics and woodwinds in drum corps are hardly a 'culture war'.

OK...not sure the point, but OK.

What you describe above (going from a thriving activity of it's own to a mere appendage of some other pre-existing activity) would not be my idea of success.

It's the premier part of marching/music, hardly an appendage. Feel free to dismiss the wonderful corps of today if you like; I choose to enjoy them.

Oh, please. Drum corps would not have died out without DCI. We might very well have had more corps today, not less.

Oh, please...you have no way of knowing that at all, so cut with the righteousness.

If it's only based on talent, why did Carolina Crown and Santa Clara Vanguard get much more applause than the Cadets did?

Because anyone will clap for a loud chord...a good number of people don't take the time to actually analyze a show and appreciate the work that goes into designing something that has a lot of depth. Instead they just jump on the "I hate singing and amps" bandwagon.

I'm sure enough people do really hate singing and thats fine, but I'm still pretty sure I heard a lot of applause for the Cadets this past summer.

Unfortunately, you are presuming the accuracy of those numbers without (I believe) considering that there are a LOT of people on this forum with multiple IDs and who have figured out how to vote multiple times by getting around the IP lock.

I'm not saying it happens.. but it could and relatively easily. Using numbers from a wholly unscientific and completely unverifiable source like DCP is -- at best -- flimsy proof of your point.

Stef

Stef, I don't use those numbers any more than to point out that there is no great conspiracy here on planet, trying to hide that the desire for electronics and sampling is a minority opinion. A valid opinion, but not one that I would try to pass off as a majority opinion, as Mike was trying to do. I don't believe that he's wrong for his opinion; I just believe that planet is generally representative.

In addition, your point cuts both ways. Anyone who double-votes for sampling would have a great advantage, since they'd move the needle that much further. The results have been consistently in the low-to-mid 80% against range. Are they just unscientific samples? Yep. But they hold more credence than simply knowing what the audience thinks. And maybe the planet is more conservative than regular audience members when it comes to sampling, but as I've been saying, at least I have A number to back up my point, not just intuition.