Loudest corps each year?

In terms of pure volume, which corps do you think was the loudest each year at DCI finals?

For 2006, I'm going to have to say that Carolina Crown was the loudest, followed by Phantom Regiment. 2003 definitely goes to Phantom Regiment. 2004 would probably be SCV.

What about the other years?

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably the most idiotic statement ever said and/or typed and/or thought about any topic even remotely related to music.

ever.

OK, well it's exactly how I feel. Being in tune is important, yes, but in my opinion, I feel that it is much more important for a drum and bugle corps to be able to produce a huge, loud, full sound, regardless of intonation, than to simply be in tune. Maybe you feel differently, I don't know.

But yeah, thanks for making me feel good about my opinions.

Edited by Hrothgar15

both years I've seen Boston live (05 and 06) they've been very loud.

BD was loud in 04.

etc.

~>conner

OK, well it's exactly how I feel. Being in tune is important, yes, but in my opinion, I feel that it is much more important for a drum and bugle corps to be able to produce a huge, loud, full sound, regardless of intonation, than to simply be in tune. Maybe you feel differently, I don't know.

I love loud corps as much as the next guy, but if you sacrafice sounding good for sounding loud, then there is something wrong with the teaching, and with the playing.

in tune over nasty loud any day of the week.

~>conner

part of being able to tear faces off is being in tune. if your crazy outta tune , you just wont be as loud as a in tune hornline.

cadets 05, scouts 95, cadets 00 had their moments that frist hit gives me goose bumps, BD 96, and to reply to who ever wrote cavies, they never play loud, ever lol

I can't tell, was SCV louder than BD in 2004? I think BD played better but volume I can't tell......

I can't tell, was SCV louder than BD in 2004? I think BD played better but volume I can't tell......

didn't see both live, but based off of hearing BD live, and listening to cds/dvds, I'd go ahead and say BD.

~>conner

Edited by PhantomR

But yeah, thanks for making me feel good about my opinions.

Bizzare observation to say the least. Poor intonation distorts volume. Come on man, surely you are goofing with such a post? A corps can't trully produce their "Loudest Sound", without having a firm grip on intonation and tone quality.

In terms of pure volume, which corps do you think was the loudest each year at DCI finals?

For 2006, I'm going to have to say that Carolina Crown was the loudest, followed by Phantom Regiment. 2003 definitely goes to Phantom Regiment. 2004 would probably be SCV.

What about the other years?

I feel that Carolina Crown has had 'really powerful' hornlines the last couple of seasons. I have plans to go see their hornline warmup in Allentown PA....have to see where that power comes from. Phantom is always in there as is BD. Cadets....sure...they can belt it out to. SCV 1987, 2003, 2004 stand out for me as well.

Star of Indiana 86 92

BD many years....86, 93 for sure

Cavaliers.....really dont put them in with the 'loud hornlines' crowd. They play well (Ofcoarse) but I suspect that volume is not a big part of their approach.......

Someone mentioned the Cavies brass staff approach is "Perfection before expression"....dont like this because their is no such thing as 'Perfection'. There are tons of errors in every drum corps show ever performed. So based on their approach......we will never hear a fully expressed performance....

Edited by Triple Forte