Which decade of DCI have you enjoyed the most?

You favorite DCI decade.  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the actual shows, which decade of DCI have you enjoyed the most?

• 1970s - mostly symmetrical drill, non concept shows, ridiculously loud hornlines
    • 1980s - more complex drills, beginnings of concept shows, dancing guards, grounded pits
    • 1990s - full concept shows, more integration between all the sections
    • 2000s - more visual complexity, later added amps/singing/narration

Might want to ask as a follow up...... " how many of you that voted actually witnessed a 70's show live " ? Incidentally, my vote was for the 80's, but the way the poll was worded skews the results.....ie" 70's ridiculously loud horn lines " makes it invalid right from the get go. Why bias the poll ? Why not just ask the question fairly and even handedly and without personal built in bias ?

I whole heartily agree with you. No Drum Corps decade deserves to be ridiculed like that!!! ie" 70's ridiculously loud horn lines. Especially if you were not around to witness it. Some of the recordings "audio or video" do not do the Corps justice, this assumption is is so LUDICROUS.

Edited by bobk9258

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2000's, and it's not even close. Virtually all of my favorite shows are from 1995 to present, and most of those are from 1999 to present. There are a few random favorites here and there going back to 1986 or so, but I don't think there's any show prior to BD 1986 that really entertains me.

I would have to say the 90s because that was the year I first started watching drum corps. The music was really good and most of my favorite shows are from this decade. Surprisingly, I like the mid to late 80s because of the music played.

The this decade is good but I don't like some of the music played; furthermore, the amps, narration, and singing are not utilized well at times. I don't think this decade as good as the 90s.

Edited by gbell211

I whole heartily agree with you. No Drum Corps decade deserves to be ridiculed like that!!! ie" 70's ridiculously loud horn lines. Especially if you were not around to witness it. Some of the recordings "audio or video" do not do the Corps justice, this assumption is is so LUDICROUS.

:P

I was trying to give the 70s a compliment. I wish I was around to hear one of the shows then. I was just assuming that is part of why many would like the 70s shows better. (not the only reason, but just a good one). I mean, weren't they ridiculously loud?

My first show was 1975 New London Conn. I've seen/ marched in every DCI since 1975.

The 70's were the most entertaining. Way more goose bump moments. Company fronts with walls of sound so lound it peeled your skin off. Concert numbers with that built in "Let Loose" moment. color pre's and drum solo's with fancy sticking.

In the 80's drum corps started to change. Corps some started to get more technical and content heavy while others corps refined and redefined the entertainment on the field.

In the 90's I feel there was a period were drum corps took itself too serious. We saw some very content hevy shows, which are great but we started to lose the "WOW" or goose bump factor. Fancy sticking and drum line showmanship was replaced by notes, lots of notes. Company fronts, rocking concert numbers and charging the stands were replaced by difficult run passages, no concerts at all and music written with lots more content.

In the 00's Drum Corps has evolved to the point that Drum Corps is now a color guard show with drum and brass. The music content is amazing. There are more music majors in drum corps now than when I marched. It's late, I'll finish later.

No...I think he meant it in a good way, not as an attack.

:P ...... I mean, weren't they ridiculously loud?

I suppose that's a matter of personal opinion, but I've never heard a brass instructor use that phrase. When they want it loud they don't mean maybe.