What Changes to Classic Countdown Would You Make ?

I would like to see an all 70's, 80's or 90's Classic Countdown.

I would like to see DCI define the word "CLASSIC" by stipulating the years that that era covers.

I would liek to see an all 'A' Class/ALL GIRLS CC from 1973 to whenever they changed it to Division II/III to 1999 !!

Or if there was enough people requesting it an ALL GIRLS Classic Countdown.from 1974 to 1990 !!

Whatever changes you would like to see, maybe the powers who control the DVD's or someone close to them could

check this from time to time and let them know what we the people want !!

And no more of this, MYSTERY Classic Countdown !!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the current format is kept, I would like the name of the event changed to "DCI Fan Favorite Countdown" as the word "classic" is usually applied once some time has past.

I would like to see the Classic Countdown held every five years during a major anniversary year for DCI. Shows from the most recent five years will not be eligible for voting. Those shows which make the final cut are enshrined in the DCI Hall of Fame as Shows of Distinction. They will be ineligible for future Classic Countdowns. In the new DCI Hall of Fame in Indianapolis, a theater will be constructed to display the Shows of Distinction for fans. Material will be added for viewing before each show from alumni, staff, and personalities who were involved with or witnessed these shows first hand to give a historical perspective to each show.

i'd say let the fans vote first for the eight corps that will be in the show, and then let them vote for that corps' specific show. i think that way, if a group of fans was *really* organized, it could secure a spot for suncoast sound (for example), and then the voting would be on for the specific suncoast show. more variety is good. one can only see 1989 vanguard so many times.

further, this year's format penalized, if you will, corps with more than one "classic" show by splintering their aggregate votes. that is, although a group like the blue devils or the cadets had 3 or 4 shows in the top 30, they were "out-voted" by groups with a lower number of "classic" shows likely to garner votes.

Well....since Drum corps mission statements have changed to include the term "to educate", then they should use the "Classic Countdown" "to educate", and let it be about shows in history....there are so many great entertaining shows that people are missing because they have their blinders on about the shows from the 70's, 80's and 90's. I'm discovering some shows from the 90's that I didn't see live. If they want to see shows from today, then, they should go see a show live, there is nothing like it live.

I have most of the DVD's and they are just great. At the same token, kids shouldn't consider a show from the 70's "boring", because they don't understand what was going on in that era. Instead they should try to learn from and appreciate the history of what they have evolved to in todays..drum corps.

I think there should be no shows from a recent year, it's just silly to call it "Classic", I agree with Kevin, call it "Fan favorite" if they're going to continue down this path.

But I think DCI would do much better if they jumped on the "bandwagon" of the rest of the corps and used it as a marketing tool to "educate" and have some directors being interviewd on what their favorite shows from when they marched were and why. I'd be curious to know what was Hopkins or Mr. Jeff's favorite show was, either that they marched in or witnessed.

When my band director took the time to host DCI parties and educate us on it..I found myself ready to go march...

Edited by Lancerlady

No repeat performances. On of the reasons I didn't go is because I don't need to see 1989 SCV and 1980 Bridgemen again. Although those performances are sweet, lets have no repeats.

Open it up to corps 13-21. I know alot of people who would vote for those corps.

Also, DCI needs to sell this classic countdown on dvd. Not just the legacy bundle. I don't want to spend $145 bucks to get them.

No repeat performances. On of the reasons I didn't go is because I don't need to see 1989 SCV and 1980 Bridgemen again. Although those performances are sweet, lets have no repeats.

That's how it was the first two times...I think this year was done differently due to the 35'th anniversary-thing.

I do agree...no repeat shows.

Open it up to corps 13-21. I know alot of people who would vote for those corps.

Also, DCI needs to sell this classic countdown on dvd. Not just the legacy bundle. I don't want to spend $145 bucks to get them.

Is it limited? Or is it just that the best get the most votes, as might be expected.

As long as the selection is based on fan voting, I think we'll see a lot of the same corps year in and year out...and more recent shows overall than those from long ago.

Definitely agree with the idea of only having it every couple of years or so- having it every year will eventually "water down" the presentation because you'll quickly run out of "classic" shows.

And definitely make the lineup public before the screening so people will know what they're seeing.

Back to the way it was done the second time. 12 different corps, 2 from the 70s & 2000s, 4 from the 80s & 90s. Make the line-up public. NO REPEATS! (why I didn't go this year)

I always thought they should have some sort of program to hand out when you get to the theatre. I could have a line-up and a breif history on each corps' performance. Maybe even get a past member to write some experiences from that year which made it "Classic".

1. Keep it annual but move it to late Jan or sometime in Feb - While there is certainly the fear of bad weather to deal with, Jan/Feb is the midst of the cabin-fever, dying for a little drum corps time of year. April is too close to the start of the next season.

2. Don't allow any corps to be in the show two years in a row - this will allow for more variety and will lessen the voting weight of the fans with shorter history in the activity. It will also help lessen the effect of any ballot stuffing.

3. Don't include any shows from the prior two seasons.

4. Moreso than eras, try to get a better variety by devising a way to include corps that were less successful competitively or had a smaller (or currently have an older) fan base - assuming a return to 12 performances, maybe something like: pick four shows from Group 1 (Group 1 consisting of each year's top 4), pick three corps from Group 2 (Group 2 consiting of each year's 5th - 8th placed corps), pick three from Group 3 (Group 3 consisting of each year's 9th - 12th place corps), pick two from Group 4 (Group 4 consisting of each year's semi-finalists who didn't make it to finals)