Heat Wave Inactive?

Don't buy into the little corps vs big corps entertainment value lie.

River City Regiment beat us (SF Renegades) with a corps half our size at the Stockton show last year. Their show maybe was in some ways simpler than ours and easier to execute, but I'd bet dollars to pesos that after the train wreck we put on the field that night that they were probably more entertaining to many in the audience.

Smaller corps kick ###. Without smaller corps, we would NEVER end up with bigger corps.

EVER. Corps DO NOT start big.

(Unless they're the Star of Indiana.)

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't post alot. However, this rule will continue to devistate the number of corps attending DCA. I've seen alot made of recruiting. Alot of people have had bad expeiences in certain areas and trying to bring out a new corps is laughed at. No matter how many drum corps alumni or " fans " there are in the area.

I think some have missed the point when we look at this. If you look back at the roots of drum corps many of the competing corps' at that time had a small local membership. Most to small to compete by today's standards. My point is drum corps should not be about membership numbers. But about having a good time, entertaining, and making life long friends. everything else is secondary. :ph34r:

Folks there are two ways to skin a cat :ph34r:

First bring whatever size corps you can scrape together,,,DON"T declare a class,,just compete in open class,no min numbers in open class so long as you have the MIN 35

Find some of those homeless dope addict prostitutes that hang around the stadium to fill out your line,,, theres plenty of them and I am sure they would appreaciate the free lunch and performance opprotunity. Buy them lunch and put a uniform on them.Fullfill your 35 member status by having them hang out in the backfield or on the side line and have at it.Once your done, they are in the stadium for free and can have full access to the facility. They can go bum change, take a bath in the sinks, do a little pick pocketing and prostitutes can turn tricks in the end zone seats where no one can see the corps anyways.

One year of that stuff and Ill bet some people change their mind about this being a "good rule".

The above post was made in jest and is not meant to be taken seriously.

:P :P :P :P :P :P

Edited by camel lips

Folks there are two ways to skin a cat :ph34r:

First bring whatever size corps you can scrape together,,,DON"T declare a class,,just compete in open class,no min numbers in open class so long as you have the MIN 35

Find some of those homeless dope addict prostitutes that hang around the stadium to fill out your line,,, theres plenty of them and I am sure they would appreaciate the free lunch and performance opprotunity. Buy them lunch and put a uniform on them.Fullfill your 35 member status by having them hang out in the backfield or on the side line and have at it.Once your done, they are in the stadium for free and can have full access to the facility. They can go bum change, take a bath in the sinks, do a little pick pocketing and prostitutes can turn tricks in the end zone seats where no one can see the corps anyways.

That would certainly solve some fundraising problems...... :P

If we want to foster rumors... The rumor I heard is that some of the bigger corps are having a lot of internal strife. And in order to prevent them from breaking up / splitting into two smaller corps, this 35 rule(originally 40) was enacted. Which is understandable to a very limited extent. But not very beneficial, except maybe to the corps in question. At least in the immediate and short term.

Unfortunately most if not all of Class A is within 10 members (including drum majors and honor guard) of not meeting the 35 minimum. At least according to last years numbers. Even some of the Open class members were marginally larger than the 65 minimum for that class. With current applicable rules, I'm not sure why Class A only spans a 30 member differential, while Open class spans a 63 member differential?

I don't agree that MCA is "just as good" as an on field compeition. For starters, it's on Friday, a work day for those that can't get out of work. Which eliminates it from an option for those that aren't local, or otherwise don't have flexible work/school schedules.

For those that argue just recruit harder, F*** Y**. I've been in 35-ish member corps. You spend 40% of your time fundraising to go to DCA, 40% of your time recruiting to have a respectable sized corps when you do, and 20% of your time on the road to various shows and the championships. Leaving absolutely, positively no time to actual rehearse a product to put on the field. There is no working harder, you're already working as hard as you possibly can't.

I'm sure Heat Wave did all they could to avoid this conclusion. Not only is it mentioned that the 35 rule was a consideration, it's in the freaking first paragraph of their press release. What do you think Carolina Gold will be doing next season? (not that I want them to) Or MBI when they fall upon a circumstance that they can only make it out every other year? Or any Class A corps that is woefully close to the limits. (one person short, might as well go/stay home.....)

Brass on the Bayou will feature 3 drum and bugle corps, all under 35 members, in exhibition. In addition 2 DCI corps will also be in competition with each other, as well as the DCA competition - 2 or 3 corps. Obviously, Heat Wave will not be competing, though there is a possible replacement in the works.

Apparently, not all show sponsors think the way that the voting members that passed the under-35 rule think they do.

Will the caliber of the show be equivalent to one featuring Brigs, Bucs, MBI, etc.? Probably not. Will the audience be entertained? I can pretty much guarantee it.

As supersop said,..............if they work hard,.............they will :ph34r:

I think it's now official Gary. You've managed to become to most crotchity knowitall smartypants on DCP. Did you get a lot of swirlies as a child?

For those of your who responded to Gary's drivel as being anything remotely close to what I said ... I HOPE YOU GO BACK AND READ MY PRIOR STATEMENTS.

(expletive expletive expletive directed at Gary)

Edited by supersop

Unfortunately most if not all of Class A is within 10 members (including drum majors and honor guard) of not meeting the 35 minimum.

Well, then, I guess they "don't really have a corps", according to some. In fact, I guess there are only about 13 groups that do. Funny how those same people contend that DCA is "growing".

With current applicable rules, I'm not sure why Class A only spans a 30 member differential, while Open class spans a 63 member differential?

I was thinking of mentioning that. But I'm afraid the reaction will be to propose raising the class A max to 84 members (5 more than DCI, just to be consistent).

When DCA imposed this rule on the regions, they imposed it on corps regardless of whether they planned on attending finals or not.

Are those corps part of DCA? If not, than no, the rule was not "imposed" on them.

I think it's now official Gary. You've managed to become to most crotchity knowitall smartypants on DCP. Did you get a lot of swirlies as a child?

For those of your who responded to Gary's drivel as being anything remotely close to what I said ... I HOPE YOU GO BACK AND READ MY PRIOR STATEMENTS.

(expletive expletive expletive directed at Gary)

Thanks, and what a classy guy you are,................so who exactly is supposed to work harder then,............DCA?

DCA is made up of people from the corps,...................you want to lay all your crap at the feet of a group you are trying to seperate out from the corps themselves, and that is just plain wrong,.............work harder?,................what is your idea for DCA to focus on to help solve this problem by working harder at it?

Please look at this one,.................there are almost 2 million people in metro Orlando, (not even including the region).............if you can't keep a minimum of 35 people in the corps from a place with that many people, something more is wrong than having an imposed rule being at fault,....................I know many good folks from HW, have participated in their all star Christmas Parade events in Daytona Beach,............. but the current make up of the organization, BOD, membership, etc, has to accept the fact they have done some things to repel people from the corps,...............is it staff?, program? BOD? overall direction?,...........why don't you try and flush out some of that instead of your typical name calling game once someone calls you out,...................

Edited by Gary Matczak