Why I'm Glad I Didn't March my Age Out Year

Can't we just accept that people have different priorities? It's my age-out too, but I'm in CHILE! I choose to study abroad than march drum corps one last time. Did I make the wrong choice? NO! I'm having a blast... I got my fill of marching drum corps, and I moved on to other things. Does that make me a bad person? Nope.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possible that he was simply ready to move on. I almost chose not to march my ageout year. I decided to return at the last minute, in the first week of June. I'm glad I went back. I didn't particularly enjoy that summer, but that convinced me that it really was time to move on with my life. Out of the 3 seasons I marched 1996 was the only one where at the end I actually wanted to go home.

Now, what do I really think of this thread? I think this person is trying to convince themselves that they made the right choice and this thread is part of it. That being said, most people I know who marched drum corps didn't march their ageout summer.

Edited by Dash Fieldpaint

I have been in various corps, and last year was the year I stopped marching. I am now twenty one, the year most corps kids age out, but I chose a different path. If I would have toured this year, I wouldn't have gotten to attend Camp Courage (a camp for physically disabled), be in my pipe band, and now I have a chance to volunteer with the little kids at Courage Day Camp. I love drum corps, but I am so glad I didn't march this year. Because of marching corps, some kids never get to experience time at summer camp. And most of all, I can give time to Bugles Across America, the best bugle corps ever!

What youre' doing is much more important than DCI.

Think Aaron and I are related as my mom kept beating me with "setting priorities" as I was growing up. Anytime there was a conflict it was "what is more important to you". Wonder how long it would be until I saw the P word (Priority). Thanks Aaron.

BTW - Alex is a "she" and has gone thru experiences most of us can't relate to. And our experiences do help us decide what is most important to us. aka - set our priorities. Think that's coming thru in this thread.

Edit: Agree with Tom, what goes on in the camp sounds much more important than entertaining people. And if you want to do something different with your summer, why put it on hold for another year because of Drum Corps? You can never be sure that the ability to do the "thing different from corps" will be around next year so you will might miss your chance. Lot of times the opportunity to do something different DOES go away.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Aaaah, but you see, you can do all of those other things (Camp Courage, Bugles Across America, etc.) AFTER you age-out, unless those programs have an age limit as well. You can never, ever, march in a DCI drum corps ever again.

I feel you made the wrong choice to not march your age-out year. Those other opportunities won't ever go away, but your opportunity to march DCI just flew out the window (did you see it go?).

Why are you making what she chose to do a bad thing? People do have different priorities in their lives. DCI age-out isn't the end all to life.

I didn't march drum corps my age-out year OR the year before that - I joined the Marines. Priorities? Sadly to say, it was parental influence. The Marines would have been there after 1996 - and drill wasn't NEARLY as good. What DID make me smile was when the drill instructor (of whom taught drill - ha) asked me where I learned to march. I declined to respond...

I will walk through the rest of my life with a marching shoe kicking me in the butt.

hmph...

I have been in various corps, and last year was the year I stopped marching. I am now twenty one, the year most corps kids age out, but I chose a different path. If I would have toured this year, I wouldn't have gotten to attend Camp Courage (a camp for physically disabled), be in my pipe band,

You have all the rest of your life to do such things, but once you age out, it is over. I know tons of members of senior corps or alumni corps that for whatever reason did not age out and still have that urge to march and do something in corps. I also know others that had a bad ageout experience (did not make finals or did not get their ring) and still feel the urge to march. They always seemed sort of desperate, compared to those of us who just loved to do it.

As for pipe band, had I had a decent one near where I lived, I may have never marched to begin with. So much for growing up in NW Ohio in the '70's! :sshh:

I regret not marching my last year. I would have if the Argonauts had not folded. I would like to have gone to Madison, or BD.

But......................I would probably not have the same wife and children I have now if I had gone. I guess it was meant to (not) be, as I would not trade them in for anything!!!

I've only got two years left... I marched in 2005, took off 2006 because I was going to college and thought I wanted to spend time with my friends (had a good summer, but regret not marching), and this season I did not march because I didn't make the corps I wanted to march with (again, stupid decision... regret it also).

While I'm still putting a lot of my eggs in one corps basket, I will be marching these last 2 seasons. Personally, when I started marching band in 9th grade moving to a big school from a small school where there was no marching band, I always dreamed of an activity like drum corps. Imagine my euphoria when I discovered it was real.

Thank you DCI and DCA.

I couldn't avoid it -- I was going to march my ageout year, and with my hometown corps, too.

After sticking with them through thick & thin for five years, and realizing that I could be either yet another BD/Madison contra player or stay there with the other contra (yeah, just two of us contras, both ageouts) and play one of the hardest books I've been given...

I just had to stay. Yeah, I'm one of those guys.

Edited by Leland