Cadets in Alpharetta, GA

I didn't get anything from the narration. It doesn't make the show at all, it ruins some really good music because it's covering it up. If the narration was gone, the music would get to come through more.

The narration itself is terrible. I feel like I'm being talked down to; like I'm back in elementary school and don't know #### about the drum corps experience or what to get out of a show.

Edited by shawn craig

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had great seats for the Atlanta Brass Classic (45 yard line), and I took along my 6-year-old son for his first ever DCI show. I was pleased that he was able to sit fairly still through it, as he tends to be very "active". I was concerned that he would lose his patience during the CorpsVets show, as there are some early-season jitters evident. However, it is a well-written, engaging show, and will end up being one of my favorite CorpsVets shows ever. La Fiesta rocks, and the soprano solos, especially Hunter, are terrific.

Teal Sound blew me away. For a Div II corps to march that number of bodies, including 10 snares, is impressive. I see a great future for this corps.

The first thing my son said after seeing Boston was "awesome". Indeed, I found myself on the edge of my seat during their performance. Lots of energy. Loved it!

Carolina Crown is really going over the top with horse allusions. All the guard girls had long pony-tail hair (there have to be some extensions in the mix), and there was lots of prancing going on. I haven't heard William Tell played on the field since the Bridgemen did it in the 70's. One thing that I thought was missing was some of the guard should jumped over the fence props.

Cadets... the narration is integral to the show. Nonetheless, it was too much. There were a number of moments where the narration distracted from the music. Instead of talking about playing the trumpet, play the #### thing! In any case, the talent level of the Cadets is phenomenal, and they play and march their butts off.

Spirit's show this year is, I believe, a big step up from the past few years in terms of design. The challenge will be in performing it and cleaning it. I guess we'll see how the staff really is in that regard. There seemed to be some muddiness in the brass compared to the other Div 1 corps in attendance, although they were certainly up to snuff in volume. The battery line seemed a little small (6 snares, 3 tenors, 6 basses)... but I thought I saw 7 snares at rehearsal earlier in the day. The new uniforms look pretty good to me, especially the guard; probably the best guard uniforms Spirit has had in a decade.

All in all, a very smoothly run show, as we've come to expect from Carla and her crew in Atlanta. My son wants to go back again next year :)

CADETS need to lose to the narration crap.

DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!!

they're beginning to act like cavaliers in the facet of not doing things different.

Well, the Cadets ARE doing something I perceive as different from themselves these last few years...

05 = Twilight Zone voiceover, Bjork-speak, drumspeak (so drumspeak and 'mood voiceovers' if you will)

06 = Twilight Zone voiceover again (was singing earlier in season), guard characters speaking in character, singing ballad... (so mood voiceovers again, and then introducing singing and character 'dialogue')

07 = words spoken by corps members themselves, members speaking as corps staff (so sort of a mix between mood voiceovers and 'spoken word' from members themselves (as in, not in character, at least compared to 2006)

Unless you consider amped voice as a general aspect of a show(which they indeed have utilized these last 3 years), they ARE utilizing voice in different ways year to year...

Not saying its good or bad...

Thanks for the notes about Teal Sound - one of the first I've seen on them this year!

One of our former techs at Bucs is their percussion caption head - I'm pretty interested to hear how they do this year.

Thanks for the notes about Teal Sound - one of the first I've seen on them this year!

One of our former techs at Bucs is their percussion caption head - I'm pretty interested to hear how they do this year.

Regarding the Cadets and their narration- I have seen it twice and have to admit that I think it works for them. This show is really good if you can handle the narration (or even grant them some forgiveness). I can also see why some members of other corps love this show because they are identifying with what Cadets are trying to do. I will agree that the narration might be a little too much, but give this show a chance. It really rocks and they are definitely going to handle it well in August.

About Teal and the drum line. T is doing a great job. I was initially concerned about trying to clean 10 snares but their scores are jumping each night. He is a tremendous worker and is doing a great job teaching that line. They are marching ten snares, four tenors (used to be five but one got injured), five basses, four plates and twelve (used to be eleven but the injured tenor is now there) in the pit. That is a big D2 line. They have a full tour to clean that group. SHould be really great in August.

D

I just went to Cadets practice on the day of the show. Let me say that I for one enjoy the variety The Cadets have displayed over the past 5 years. I applaude them for that. I applaude them for pushing the envelope each off season as I understand that change is what sustains us. Having said that, I was telling my Dad the other day there is too much talking in the show. The hornline and drumline are dynamite. I love the pushes. Excuse my ignorance if I am not overly familiar with their chart selection, but I am presuming the songs themselves wouldn't tell the story they are trying to tell with the narration and I think that is an interesting use of narration. Having said that, I don't walk away thinking.....I would have enjoyed that show half as much as I did were it not for the narration. I thought I was the only one that thought the one guy sounded like Napoleon Dynamite. What we have is top shelf musicians doing high school theater with the narration. You can't expect a few words here and there to provide something really meaningful and inventive in 12 minutes. I am of the opinion.....and I am fully ready to eat my words.........that narration will go by the wayside much like allowing the corps to come into the sidelines off the traditional playing field did. And to that end......I ask the question.......is it really worth ruffling so many feathers to get a rule change that really doesn't take "the activity" to new heights ? Cause for me.......the best use of amplification and/or narration has been the Cavies snapping their fingers and whistling, which they probably could have done with without the amplification. Everything else has been uninspiring to me.

Having said that, I like The Cadets show. I just don't think the narration makes the splash that necessitated all the hub bub that went on to get amplification passed.

Ok -- Lets just say this. No matter WHAT the "Cadets" play, sing, speak , narrate..............

They are the Dominating force in the Universe ! No one can match them nor beat them! They are to be considered what every other DIV 1 corps should strive to be.

No matter what they do, how they do it.... they are GODS ! And the Judges know this and consistantly reward them for just that --- CONSISTENCY! If they stray from that form, it's not their faults, blame the other corps out there. If other corps can't meet, beat or compete with those from Bergen County, y'all better fold because you will never beat them no matter what you do!

HEAR THAT PHANTOM REGIMENT ????????????

====================================================================

Ok, I woke up from my terrible nightmare!

Now C'mon ! It's June folks! And the way I see it there are only two scenarios here in DIV 1 ...........

Cadets win ---or --- Cavies repeat. end of story.

Now, as a die hard, Phantom Phan, supported, booster, volunteer, sponsor.... I have a sublime recolection of 1996 when Regiment went from 4th to 1st, and this show seems to have just as much potential! I don't believe we've seen all that Rockford has in store for their visual and musical book, so

THIS "I" BELIEVE...................................

Regiment will surprise us all by their dedication, perseverence and silent quest to put the best show out there they can, and you know what? They will be THE REAL winners .... not thos yielding a big DCI trophy!

SARCASM OFF --- off my soapbox

Oh, please. Talking is not over 50% of their show. I've seen the show live. I have recordings. Please, in the future, don't post lies. Thank you.

First of all buddy, I am a huge Cadets fan. I love everything about them, their discipline, their musicality and the whole nine yards. Don't you ever think about accusing me of lying because that is not what I am about and that is not what this thread was about. I know what I heard in the stands and unless you were in every section in the stands at every moment of the show, please keep your mouth shut. I hate for this to have to go to this but this is what you brought by opening your mouth. I love the show but I don't like the narration because there is just too much of it. Take it or leave it.

Interesting. I, too, was at the show, sitting dead on the 50 on row 6, and heard not a single comment - pro or con. All I heard was enthusiastic applause at various appropriate points in the show. Of course, I realize there is no way I could have heard everything going on in the stands - end zone to end zone, top to bottom. Perhaps I just wasn't sitting in the "Anti-spoken word" section." :worthy:

The good ole Michael Terry. Now that is a man that I have the upmost respect for. He has put in years of excellence at the Cadets. And thank you for pointing out that you weren't in every part of the stands to hear the comments. These are the words of a smart man CadetsFan08, listen to him and learn. Mikey, keep on doing what you are doing bro. I hope that you guys come out on top.