Finally.....no one can cry SLOTTING!

That's right folks, we can't claim slotting. The top keeps shifting, numbers tightening up in the lower rankings that could set up some shifting....

for too many years after Atlanta we heard the cries of "it's slotted now, no one is moving."

Not this year. Even if numbers management drives me crazy and i occasionally question what someone was looking at/listening to, we see the judges judging their sheet, and not basing it off of performance order or name. Just because you win one sub box doesnt mean you win both.

We have legit, heading into Allentown, the season with the most question marks up and down the lineup.

Man these last two weeks will be fun!!!

• Like 8

That's right folks, we can't claim slotting.

(snip!)

OK, I'll say what everyone is thinking; I can still cry "dci politics." There, I said it, deal with it.

Uh, "the judges hate us? Last year Cadets got screwed so dci decided this year its their turn to win? Blue Devils march easy drill? Cadets are playing too many notes? Thunderous goo? Too many props? Not enough props (for Crown this year)? This top 3 shows bore me? Cadets have peaked early? Cadets peak late so if finals were held a week later they would have won?"

"Since any key horn instruments are now allowed, why aren't there any G bugles?"

OK, I made that last one up.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

OK, I'll say what everyone is thinking; I can still cry "dci politics." There, I said it, deal with it.

Uh, the judges hate us? Last year Cadets got screwed so dci decided this year its their turn to win? Blue Devils march easy drill? Cadets are playing too many notes? Thunderous goo? Too many props? Not enough props (for Crown this year)? This top 3 show bores me? Cadets have peaked early? Cadets peak late so if finals were held a week later they would have won?

Since any key horn instruments are now allowed, why aren't there any G bugles?

:spitting:

• Like 2

Uh, "the judges hate us? Last year Cadets got screwed so dci decided this year its their turn to win? Blue Devils march easy drill? Cadets are playing too many notes? Thunderous goo? Too many props? Not enough props (for Crown this year)? This top 3 show bores me? Cadets have peaked early? Cadets peak late so if finals were held a week later they would have won?"

"Since any key horn instruments are now allowed, why aren't there any G bugles?"

Wait so we're basing this on DCP's bullcrap?

• Like 1

Wait so we're basing this on DCP's bullcrap?

Is there any other kind?

Those folks who have discussed slotting over the years, usually type that once slotted, they may only move one or two positions. So in their eyes, they might still view tonight's results as no major change where corps have been since San Antonio.

Did not use Minn. since not all corps were there, but there might not have been major swings by many corps if MN is looked at.

7-18 7-25

1. CAD 3

2. BD 2

3. CC 1

4. BC 4

5. SCV 5

6. BK 6

7. CAV ?

8. PR 7

9. MS 8

10. BAC 9

11. CM 11

12. BS 110

I'd speculate that if the Cavies competed, they would have been 7th. That means the majority of the top 12 from SA are still in the same position one week later. Only four corps changed.

Edited by Ghost

Slotting doesn't mean the judges determine who places what - it simply means that certain corps, due to their either recent or not so recent history, get the benefit of the doubt. The other corps have to pay their dues and struggle for a long time until they are as good as the other corps - in which case they start to score within 4-5 pts or so of those that do get the benefit of the doubt. Carolina Crown, in 2013, was probably a good 2 pts ahead of Blue Devils at Finals. It was because of the Blue Devils' history of success that kept them close. Crown had to win by 2 points in order to win by .25.

Slotting still exists - it's just that enough time has passed by that 1 or 2 corps have proven through time that they have what it takes to play with the big boys. That's always an inevitability.

OK, I'm forced to be serious for a minute. But only a minute. What IS slotting?

I did not think it had to do with ordinals, 1 2 3 4 5th place. In that theory if a corps were scored 10th in the first show of the year, they would be 10th all season. Maybe a little higher or lower, but because of "slotting" they would never be top 3.

I thought it had to do with (for instance) the 7th rated corps had all its components "slotted" into 7th as well. 7th place, drums, 7th place horns, etc. Then the #10 corps would have 10th place horns, 10th place drums, 10th place color guard, etc. The rare exception does not deter the crazies from continuing to think that way.

For the record, I'm not skeptical about either of these theories, I just don't believe in them.

Edited by wvu80

Slotting doesn't mean the judges determine who places what - it simply means that certain corps, due to their either recent or not so recent history, get the benefit of the doubt. The other corps have to pay their dues and struggle for a long time until they are as good as the other corps - in which case they start to score within 4-5 pts or so of those that do get the benefit of the doubt. Carolina Crown, in 2013, was probably a good 2 pts ahead of Blue Devils at Finals. It was because of the Blue Devils' history of success that kept them close. Crown had to win by 2 points in order to win by .25.

Slotting still exists - it's just that enough time has passed by that 1 or 2 corps have proven through time that they have what it takes to play with the big boys. That's always an inevitability.

I guess one can really rationalize anything in their head

• Like 1