Trombones 2016

Wow... So it seems Crown, Cadets, Devils and Bluecoats are using trombones this year (Unconfirmed, also rumors of Bass Trombones in Bloo and almost confirmed in The Cadets). That's... A little off-putting, I'm not gonna lie. I liked Scheherazade and there have been some nice solos, but is the whole top 5 using them going over the edge? We know it doesn't always work.

I guess without knowing exactly what each of the Top 5 corps have in mind, AND w/out seeing each of the Top 5 corps perform with t-bones, we don't know yet. I personally think that fans who freak out over the mere idea of change is a little goofy for an activity that has thrived on pushing creative ideas and changing perception on what is possible on a marching field. I think trombones offer a very specific color/timbre and like ANY design idea if used well they could add a tremendous amount, and when used poorly not-so-much.

If I'm being honest, I would MUCH prefer all of the Top 5 corps using trombones than all of them using voice, but that's just me personally :tounge2:

I'm 100% OK waiting to see what each corps has in store for us & seeing a performance before getting too upset over a design choice

• Like 2

Absolutely. In addition, baritones tend to have a darker sound and blend much easier and more smoothly with the other brass choirs. Factoring in the it's much easier to play faster, more technical passages accurately on baritones than it is on trombones, it's easy to see why baritones are the instrument of choice. That said, using trombones for certain styles of music, and certain effects is fun.

I totally understand why they use them over trombones. I marched one for all my years on the field. I play trombone though. I love when they are used in drum corps as long as the context is correct. I don't think they're a needed addition to the marching field, but I like when they're pulled out for solo's and features. I do hate hearing some of the bari lines attempt to put bite into their notes and they end up fluffing all over the parts. They just sound like mush. There's only a few corps who can pull it off right now.

• Like 1

Trombones are puny-sounding instruments compared to baritones, and as solo instruments they can't be used without microphones. That's what I've noticed. It's just as well they can't be used while marching because the sound wouldn't carry across the field. If a solo instrument has to be amplified to be heard, then what is the argument for keeping woodwinds out of drum corps?

Well I disagree with about everything in this post.

• Like 3

I think trombones, as a feature voice, has added a nice dimension. I was sceptical at first, but have been pleasantly surprised on how well the arrangers have incorporated their use.

It's been a good add!

Edited by drumcorpsfever

I totally understand why they use them over trombones. I marched one for all my years on the field. I play trombone though. I love when they are used in drum corps as long as the context is correct. I don't think they're a needed addition to the marching field, but I like when they're pulled out for solo's and features. I do hate hearing some of the bari lines attempt to put bite into their notes and they end up fluffing all over the parts. They just sound like mush. There's only a few corps who can pull it off right now.

Baritones used to be able to get the bite and brilliance that trombones offer - when they used baritone bugles. Same with the tubas, and they won't get that back by using bass trombones. I played trombone and baritone in marching bands all through high school and college and wrote marching band arrangements for a living - I know what these instruments sound like. There's a reason why trombones and tubas can only be featured on the front sideline: their sound cannot carry across the field like bugles could.

• Like 1

Nothing carries like a bugle. A bugle was designed to signal across a battlefield. That's why it was invented. It's a tool not an instrument. duh. But in case you may have not noticed... they don't use bugles anymore... :silly:

But this isn't about bugles, this is about baritones. A baritone is not built to project like a trombone. Its built to blend. And the ones they use do that pretty well. But they don't do what trombones do. They don't cut, they don't push, they don't give a great edge to their sound when needed. They just bog down and go "woof woof woof woof" when you try to give them that bite.

Nothing carries like a bugle. A bugle was designed to signal across a battlefield. That's why it was invented. It's a tool not an instrument. duh. But in case you may have not noticed... they don't use bugles anymore... :silly:

But this isn't about bugles, this is about baritones. A baritone is not built to project like a trombone. Its built to blend. And the ones they use do that pretty well. But they don't do what trombones do. They don't cut, they don't push, they don't give a great edge to their sound when needed. They just bog down and go "woof woof woof woof" when you try to give them that bite.

Exactly. My point is that arrangers are trying now to get back what they lost when drum corps moved away from bugles, but every little step they take to that end turns drum corps more and more into high school band. So again I ask: if a solo instrument has to be amplified to be heard, then what is the argument for keeping woodwinds out of drum corps? Is that the final difference between drum corps and high school band?

Edited by drangin

Exactly. My point is that arrangers are trying now to get back what they lost when drum corps moved away from bugles, but every little step they take to that end turns drum corps more and more into high school band. So again I ask: if a solo instrument has to be amplified to be heard, then what is the argument for keeping woodwinds out of drum corps? Is that the final difference between drum corps and high school band?

The skill level is what differentiates drum corps from band. The members all wanting to be there for that purpose instead of the dual "support the athletic dept and be their own entity" identity.

You don't need to amplify an trombone to be heard. You don't need to amplify a trumpet to be heard. Had electronics been allowed with bugles, you'd have likely seen more solos being amplified for timbre and tonal reasons. (and there likely were in 2001 and 2002 i just don't remember it)

You don't need to amplify any of these horns to be heard now but it helps. The point you made was that trombone's cant carry across a field like a baritone, which would not be correct. Its the only horn capable of producing the necessary decibels to do so. (114 db, 145 peak) And arrangers are looking to use a new tool in the box, not get back anything. If they wanted the old back, they'd write parts for G Bugle and tell the corps to get a G bugle to use.

Trombones are puny-sounding instruments compared to baritones, and as solo instruments they can't be used without microphones. That's what I've noticed. It's just as well they can't be used while marching because the sound wouldn't carry across the field. If a solo instrument has to be amplified to be heard, then what is the argument for keeping woodwinds out of drum corps?

That must be why they are so widely shunned in the band and orchestral worlds from scholastic to professional. We all know how much better Mahler sounds without all those puny-sounding trombones.

/Sarcasm

• Like 2