Bring Back the Oldies

I love hearing old classics again personally. But then I also really love hearing new music too. I guess the great thing about DCI is with so many corps, there is room for old music to be redone, and still allow many corps to perform new selections. Like others have mentioned, if a song has been done a lot, I probably don't want to hear it for the hundredth time. But I do love it when corps pull out songs that have been done in the distant past, especially if the arrangement is different from the last time I heard it.

• Like 1

The problem with bringing back the oldies is that those who would enjoy this might think the oldies would be brought back the way they remember them. That just won't happen. At that point those who love them will be turned off by the very thing they wanted. JMO

Thank you!

Hey I would love to see BD bring back skirts and boots etc. That isn't them anymore though. Yes they will play some old stuff at encore performances. That is how I like the oldies.

Of course, for everyone's Oldie, there is someone even older who wants an even older Oldie.

Where is the weeping and gnashing of teeth for poor Hildedard of Bingen's music?

Edited by Fish

Of course, for everyone's Oldie, there is someone even older who wants an even older Oldie.

Where is the weeping and gnashing of teeth for poor Hildegard of Bingen's music?

Just now I am attending a conference with about 2,000 medieval scholars. Hildegard of Bingen was actually discussed in the session I attended just three hours ago (thought it was because of her invented language rather than her music). Most years at this conference, there's an evening of medieval music. No Hildegard this year, but tonight they're offering "I dilettosi fiori: Fourteenth Century Music for Clavicimbalum and Flutes".

(Seeing as the conference is in Kalamazoo, I wore a Legends shirt yesterday. Today, because the plenary lecture concerned Beowulf, I'm wearing a San Francisco Renegades tee shirt, with the big gold dragon on the back.)

• Like 2

While I have an issue of corps recycling tired charts, the corps should be able to choose music from all time periods that fit their show concept without fear of drops in GE scores. Whether that is an excerpt from Mozart, a Claud T. Smith chart, or something from Lady GaGa, all is fine. Besides, qualitative brass and percussion arrangers can orchestrate anything from any time period and deliver glorious music to the audience. Apparently however, the current almighty choreographers and visual stylists who are presently driving the DCI show design concept bus can only think along the lines of esoteric movements to modern treatments of disjunctive melodic phrasing along with noise from sound generators.

Thank you for a wonderful conversation and please keep it up. One argument for looking back at older literature, copyright clearances would surely take less time.

Thank you for a wonderful conversation and please keep it up. One argument for looking back at older literature, copyright clearances would surely take less time.

You'd think so, but you'd be (in many cases) horribly wrong.