The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Another easy way to find that thread is to plug a composer's name into DCP's search function.

To avoid confusion with that one, perhaps this thread (in which I'm typing) should be closed or at least have its title changed?

Maybe we should copyright this thread and then propose sharing it with the folks below. The licensing fee might go to a scholarship for kids to pay first camp fees to bring more people into our activity. $ to Minn. Eric.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/storyline/wp/2014/10/28/can-a-new-rule-change-save-figure-skating/

Interesting that drum corps is, in this regard, more "advanced" than figure skating (despite being much less popular), in that vocals have been permitted since the 1980s, and amplified vocals for more than a decade. How long before we see figure skaters perform not to music but to a spoken word performance? Two corps lately have been accompanied by recitation of Edgar Poe's "The Raven". Maybe that will become the new "Carmen"!

"The Pacific," by Hans Zimmer, could be combined with "band of brothers," and other WWII compositions to make one helluvan' entertaining tearjerker if pulled off by a div1 corps.

Perhaps a Zimmer-themed show - lots to choose from. "Road to Perdition," "White Oleander," ..."American Beauty."

being biased as I am...Team Red or Blue would pull it off best, but Rockford, Garfield, Rosemont, Crossmen, Boston, the Cops, Madison and now Crown are =lly qualified.

A Sample.

The Band of Brothers Theme was tackled yrs ago by several corps and arr. are public avail online...The Pacific (I'm sure it already exists but I could knock out a hornline arr. in a matter of days...cake!)

A WWII/Music of Zimmer themed show would knock 'em dead.

Edited by Tapper7

Speaking of "Carmen," there's a ton of music from the opera that has never seen the drum corps field which I'd love to hear, and it would not have to be used in a "Carmen" themed show. Other operas I'd love to see explored are Gounod's "Romeo and Juliet" and Verdi's Il Trovatore." It would be a technical challenge too. Opera is not that easy to pull off on the drum corps field. One last opera pitch: "Au Fond du Temple Saint" from Bizet's "The Pearl Fishers." It's a great tenor and baritone duet with beauty and intensity. I looked on Corpsreps and did not see it listed which surprised me a bit, but if performed it could be one of those memorable moments.

• Like 2

"The Pacific," by Hans Zimmer, could be combined with "band of brothers," and other WWII compositions to make one helluvan' entertaining tearjerker if pulled off by a div1 corps.

Perhaps a Zimmer-themed show - lots to choose from. "Road to Perdition," "White Oleander," ..."American Beauty."

being biased as I am...Team Red or Blue would pull it off best, but Rockford, Garfield, Rosemont, Crossmen, Boston, the Cops, Madison and now Crown are =lly qualified.

A Sample.

The Band of Brothers Theme was tackled yrs ago by several corps and arr. are public avail online...The Pacific (I'm sure it already exists but I could knock out a hornline arr. in a matter of days...cake!)

A WWII/Music of Zimmer themed show would knock 'em dead.

Band of Brothers was Michael Kamen. Kamen borrowed many of the themes for Band of Brothers from himself. Listen to BoB then New Moon in the Old Moons Arms (PR 2010 source music) and you'll hear the connections.

• Like 1

:sarcasm: Some people have been calling for the Troopers to find some kind of change which would make their shows more "judging friendly," yet still retain their identity. Maybe one of these years, they can go a VK route and do "Oedipus Tex" by P.D.Q. Bach.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 2