The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

I can hope the Cavaliers play this in 2017...

Edited by jjeffeory

such a stupid movie, but such a fun overture

it's got a bunch of great built in stuff that could translate well to pit and battery

one of elfman's few non-creepy tracks

One of my projects this summer is to arrange this for brass. I've always thought it could make a very cool ballad. 

Edited by Lance

18 hours ago, Lance said:

such a stupid movie, but such a fun overture

it's got a bunch of great built in stuff that could translate well to pit and battery

one of elfman's few non-creepy tracks

Very fun. And a successfully executed Triple Lindy would be worth some GE points...

• Like 1

With both Santa Clara and the Blue Devils playing Peter Graham's Triumph of Time this summer, something tells me we'll be hearing his music more in the coming years. Before this summer Graham's music had been played 7 times beginning with the Blue Knights in 2000 and more recently with the Cavaliers in 2010 and 2015. With pieces like the following...I'd be ok with that. :smile:

The entire Don Ellis album Haiku is great and very different from his other stuff. I especially like Children (the song, just so we're clear) and Forest. But the whole thing is great and worth a listen.

Wojciech Kilar has composed a lot more pieces that would work really well on the field than just "Orawa." He would be a great composer in particular for a corps that loves to melt faces off with their brass sound (SCV and Madison come to mind).

The opening minutes of his soundtrack to the 1992 "Dracula" film would be an absolutely sinister and foreboding way to kick off a show.

Also, the back half of his symphonic poem "Krzesany" would be very intense and exhilarating if arranged correctly.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

Steven Bryant's music, especially his band & electronics music, is just BEGGING for the Blue Knights to play it. 

The first movement of his "Ecstatic Waters" has seen the field before, but in the hands of BK, it would be a transcendent pre-show/opening impact.

Also, one of Bryant's newest compositions, "Solace," has LOTS of brooding material to draw from. And given BK's foray into darker, more abstract stuff in recent years, this kind of piece is right up their alley.

Also, continuing on my journey to find pop songs (or songs by popular artists) that would work well on the field, I happened to come across this one thanks to a WGI guard unit. For being a Sara Bareilles song, it's more "out there" than we'd expect from her, especially because the majority of it is pure melody without much harmony until toward the end. But this would be perfect as a recurring theme, maybe even a ballad (again, it's very sparse in terms of harmony, but we've seen crazy musical ideas work before).