TOC Carolina - and the fan favorite will be?

Bloo added some new audio effects to the closer (or I just noticed them) and the closer sounds noticeably better! As someone who was very lukewarm towards the new closer, I'm really feeling it now

• Like 1

All these shows are so good. I do not envy the judging community. They have a tough job to do this year!

just finished watching a scope of Bluecoats

WOW!! What a tremendous run. Brass sounded just amazing - especially that contra line!!

Guard is looking very strong - drums sounded great

GREAT energy! Great dynamics!

Seemed like their best run of the season!!!!

• Like 2

BD was spectacular, as always! Just got done with that periscope. They march well, stage well, and integrate the guard well, and really play well (perc and brass). Sometimes this particular show is cluttered, but most of the time I find it another display of how well BD can show so many visual concepts in one show. That's the key with them. It's a variety of visual displays mixed with music. They've got it down to a science.

I love that they are parking for a lot of the show. Some hate it or think it's easy. But they setup these beautifully staged hit points in the show, some completely standing still, others only with slight motion, and they let the brass wail as they deliver high GE. It somewhat reminds me of the old concert number days from the 70s and early 80s. We used to love them. BD 84 for example. Those were often the best moments of the show. Now days we make fun of it, call it easy, but there is nothing easy about playing the way they do. So when they showcase their brass like that (or percussion), in stand-still or slight-motion, they exhibit some of the best sounds, articulations, and musical impacts in the business. That definitely generates GE.

Those that compare them to a corps that moves more must be objective enough to ask the question "yes, my favorite corps might move more and play just as much, but does it sound as good?" Perhaps with a corps like Cadets this year it comes darn close and at times sounds as good (Cadets have been up there in brass all summer). But then again, the Cadets and Crown are right in there with BD for a shot at the title. Bluecoats too. But the bigger point is that the Blue Devils make some things so obvious, like my example above, that we knock it for visual or for lacking simultaneous demand, but what we should be doing is listening. When the music gets to that level, judges don't care about simultaneous demand. That is overblown for sure. Most of the other corps couldn't stand still and play that good, and when they try to move faster and end up playing sloppy and average, what's the point?

Great stuff BD. :)

This. Thank you.

I don't care what the judges say this year. Bloo is clearly better than BD this year- and yes- I think BD is good this year.

• Like 1

Slight edge to BD. Blooo second, Cadets 3rd

f

and you have Crown barely making finals?