2017 PREDICTIONS!

12 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

well... it is very conceivable that the "top 3" and "top 6" could look (in point value) much more like a contentious and turbulent "top 4-5" and "top 8-10".

A contending corps can easily be in 4th against other contending corps... and it's becoming an increasing occurrence that the eventual champion gets bested by corps that are eventual 3 or 4 place finishers.

I don't think that the assertion that the Bluecoats could be out of 3 or that the Cadets could be out of 6 are all that silly... the question is... does it really matter in point value and product if this happens.  I don't think so.  I think that we will see more than 2 corps (perhaps more than 3) sitting in the driver's seat at alternating points throughout the season.

One of  more intiguing things about this season is that unlike most seasons there is the real chance of more placement movement from one season to the next, up and down the pecking order within DCI. Thats GREAT for the activity. Sports like to market their games as " on any given Sunday " ( anybody can win or lose ). Most fans like the spirit of competition where the same ol, same ol, arn't winning all the time. Volatility and " change " is good. We hear this all the time, especially in Drum Corps., ie that " change is good " presumably this thought process likewise extends into the placements realm as well. One of the reasons Academy was a fan favorite last season was not limited to just their fan friendly and pleasing show. The fact that they unexpectedly came essentially from back of the pack to a TOP 12 qualifyer was galvanizing and inspirational for most non biased fans. When Phantom Regiment topped BD at Finals in 2008, it likewise was not just their fan friendly and pleasing show that won over the audiences, it was the fact that DCI had a new Corps that had not won DCI in years win it all in 2008. The Bluecoats 2016... same thing. Fan friendly pleasing show, but the fact that they were a new Corps to win a DCI Title likewise was gratifying to many people. Most people like to see things shaken up and less predictability going into a season. I think 2017 has that potential unpredictability at the moment in the air.. and thats what has so many people intrigued, and perhaps more intigued than usual, with the upcoming DCI Drum Corps season.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, smiler said:

Absolute Bunkham . Bluecoats with the talent level they will get will deffo be in top 3. Cadets will also rise higher than last year .

Maybe. Maybe not. No one thought Regiment would place 9th in 2009, nor Crown 5th in 2014. There's also Cadets (6th in '91 and 4th in '13), Madison (7th in 1989), Vanguard (6th in 1990). The year after a championship (when you don't win all the time like BD) is a really tough balancing act. You want to step away from the prior year but not from a championship level designed show. Not an easy feat.

I fear the Cadets are on a downward trajectory, but I hope I'm wrong, as I'm a huge Cadets fan. We'll see, I guess. 

Edited by henry7184

On 4/30/2017 at 10:26 AM, corps8294 said:

I just can't see Blue Knights or Phantom Regiment being in any danger of dropping out and the changes that Boston made will definitely keep them in. With that being said; The Blue Stars, Crossmen, Madison Scouts, and Academy are all on the hot seat. 

I wouldn't bet on Boston being automatically in. There's a thing called talent. A new staff can do wonders, but it often doesn't happen in their first season out of the gate.

Blue Knights and Regiment aren't guarantees either. I'd give that BK is 100% guaranteed to be in, but not Regiment. If I had to bet money, I'd bet on Regiment staying in finals, but they may drop. This is another corps that can't seem to leave the past in the past.

Just now, flammaster said:

I predict that SCV is going to surprise everyone including me!

I think you're right, but I don't think it would be a surprise, at least not in my eyes. They have a great staff in place, and have been the cusp of medalling for a few years now. I think they'll do it this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

Maybe. Maybe not. No one thought Regiment would place 9th in 2009, nor Crown 5th in 2014. There's also Cadets (6th in '91 and 4th in '13), Madison (7th in 1989), Vanguard (6th in 1990). The year after a championship (when you don't win all the time like BD) is a really tough balancing act. You want to step away from the prior year but not from a championship level designed show. Not an easy feat.

I fear the Cadets are on a downward trajectory, but I hope I'm wrong, as I'm a huge Cadets fan. We'll see, I guess. 

Hmmm, as far as Cadets, the new fundraising guy who was with Crown the past three seasons posted on FB today that he was at camp last weekend and was "blown away by the Brass book" so not sure Cadets are in a downward trajectory. Time will tell but I think Cadets are poised to push back into a more typical Cadets ranking this season.

4 hours ago, Tobias said:

Hmmm, as far as Cadets, the new fundraising guy who was with Crown the past three seasons posted on FB today that he was at camp last weekend and was "blown away by the Brass book" so not sure Cadets are in a downward trajectory. Time will tell but I think Cadets are poised to push back into a more typical Cadets ranking this season.

My thing with claiming a corps is on a downward trajectory is that it can at times be unclear. Like maybe the Cadets will put out a fantastic product but so does everyone else so maybe they are on the up and ups design-wise but not so competitively.

4 hours ago, Tobias said:

Brad is more than the fundraising guy doing diddles and flams on your wallet. The man knows drum corps.

"Prior to working with YEA! and Carolina Crown, Martin spent 18 years managing retail stores in South Carolina. He spent his marching career with Star of Indiana of Bloomington, Indiana and Steel City Ambassadors of Pittsburgh in the 1980s, before becoming a member of the Garfield Cadets percussion staff. He received his Bachelor of Music Education degree from West Virginia University and completed his education as a Graduate Assistant with the University of Illinois Marching Band before continuing as a music educator in Indiana and West Virginia."

7 hours ago, henry7184 said:

I think you're right, but I don't think it would be a surprise, at least not in my eyes. They have a great staff in place, and have been the cusp of medalling for a few years now. I think they'll do it this year.

They are such a hard-working corps.  One of the best drum corps afternoons I ever spent was at their show day rehearsal last year in Portland.  I was most impressed w/ the talent level and work ethic.  I became a huge fan and will continue to be.  Love you SCV!!!!!!!!!!!  (And we'll miss you at the Portland show this year.)

• Like 1

ok a prediction of sorts: 

the 2016 "top six" will once again be the 2017 "top six" however they'll be some shake up

2016's 6th - 4th place corps, Cadets / Cavaliers / SCV will all be improved in talent and program in 2017 - 1 or 2 of those 3 will medal

2016's 1st-3rd place corps, BD / Crown / Bluecoats: 2 of 3 will have less effective products in 2017 and possibly only BD will return to the medals

Crown/Cavaliers will place either 3rd / 4th or 4th / 5th 

in other words the "top six" will get very crowded come finals week with at least 4 of the sixth shooting for medals and one getting left in sixth not do to quality so much as due to math

In 7th we'll see Boston surge in July and August once the regionals kick into gear and finish about a point or so out of the top six with clear momentum for 2018

In the 12th place we will see a tussle between last year's new finalist (Academy) and a Madision corps with a different kind of show but the desire to return to finalist status

For captions:

BD returns to guard king, Crown takes second & Cadets 3rd

Brass - BD/Crown tussle for Brass and BD just edges them out

Drums - BD/SCV/Cadets and a resurgent Cavaliers volley for the caption with SCV once again taking that trophy

All guesses, all in good fun!

Should be an interesting year - and so far a lot of the programs sound exciting to watch!

• Like 1