Staff merri-go-round

There are those here pretty much jealous of those with longevity in this activity. .

Yes.... there are less than a handful of Corps with over 75 years of longevity in the activity and this does bring out some jealousy on the part of a few others on a few occasions. I wouldn't waste time thinking about other's jealousy however, thats their personal hangups, not ours.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

H didn't Colin write the battery book these past several years? The Cadets percussion has been a veritable beast for years on end.

Yes.. Colin McNutt ( currently age 45 ) was also the Battery Arranger for the Cadets since 2008 as well when he was there. McNutt was also on the staff of Star, ( and Madison ) and was one of the principal percussion designers for " Blast ". Aungst ( also a youngish 53) has excellent pedigree as well, with several percussion titles with the lines he has written and instructed with. Both are excellent in their own right.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes.... there are less than a handful of Corps with over 75 years of longevity in the activity and this does bring out some jealousy on the part of a few others on a few occasions. I wouldn't waste time thinking about other's jealousy however, thats their personal hangups, not ours.

Actually I was speaking of staff people , successful now even after many decades in this activity. BUT I can agree with corps also.

Actually I was speaking of staff people , successful now even after many decades in this activity.

McNutt and Aungst are both younger than the majority of judges that judge in DCI... so age is irrelevant. Zingali was in his 20's, 30's when he was working his visuals brilliance at 27th, Cadets, then Star. DCI has current judges that are over 70 years of age judging Regionals/ Championships still. Age is a non factor in any of this. Some staff are subpar at any age too.

Edited by BRASSO

McNutt and Aungst are both younger than the majority of judges that judge in DCI... so age is irrelevant. Zingali was in his 20's, 30's when he was working his visuals brilliance at 27th, Cadets, then Star. DCI has current judges that are over 70 years of age judging Regionals/ Championships still. Age is a non factor in any of this. Some staff are subpar at any age too.

Age should never be a factor, we agree, staff , judges, directors etc etc. Quality and contribution is. The only reason age was brought up was the poster giving the impression that a staff member may be looked at as not current or ( their words ) a possible has been. Youre right its not a factor I know has beens in their 20s as well as trend setters in their 50s and 60s.

DCI has current judges that are over 70 years of age judging Regionals/ Championships still. Age is a non factor in any of this.

But, haven't some of your posts, about judges, given us the impression that you are concerned that DCI is still using older judges and not bringing on younger judges? This would lead one to think age is a factor to you.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

But, haven't some of your posts, about judges, given us the impression that you are concerned that DCI is still using older judges and not bringing on younger judges? This would lead one to think age is a factor to you.

Actually regarding this sort of thing, in my opinion, more gender inclusion ( qualified women ) seems to me where DCI has work to do on improving, even more so than on age.. and throughout DCI, ie judges, show designers, costume designers, brass arranging, corps Directorships, Corps BOD's, DCI Executive Directorships & Boards, broadcast booth, DCI HOF, etc. and the like. Do I think DCI could use a few more qualified, younger judges ? (both Men & Women) Sure... and you are observant to note I have said this on here before as well. DCI has actually incorporated some newer, younger, judges into their ranks this season, as a matter of fact ghost. Maybe they are finally coming around to my thinking on this, and posts on this.. who knows ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Actually regarding this sort of thing, in my opinion, more gender inclusion ( qualified women ) seems to me where DCI has work to do on improving, even more so than on age.. and throughout DCI, ie judges, show designers, costume designers, brass arranging, corps Directorships, BOD's DCI Executive Directorships & Boards, broadcast booth, DCI HOF, etc. and the like. Do I think DCI could use a few more qualified, younger judges,... both Men & Women ? Sure. DCI has actually incorporated some newer, younger, judges into their ranks this season, as a matter of fact ghost. Maybe they are finally coming around to my thinking on this, and posts on this.. who knows ( haha!)

I believe the statistics show that their are two male competing members (pun not intended) to every female member in DCI. The representation of women in directorship and faculty of corps and judging is far, far less particularly if one looks at the non-color guard faculty. Add in established judges like Marie Grana Czapinski retiring to advise Phantom and Nola Jones seeming to travel less, the only women left seem to be color guard types. DCI could do far better than re-cycling the same names among judges and faculty.

• Like 2

Actually regarding this sort of thing, in my opinion, more gender inclusion ( qualified women ) seems to me where DCI has work to do on improving, even more so than on age.. and throughout DCI, ie judges, show designers, costume designers, brass arranging, corps Directorships, BOD's DCI Executive Directorships & Boards, broadcast booth, DCI HOF, etc. and the like. Do I think DCI could use a few more qualified, younger judges,... both Men & Women ? Sure. DCI has actually incorporated some newer, younger, judges into their ranks this season, as a matter of fact ghost. Maybe they are finally coming around to my thinking on this, and posts on this.. who knows ( haha!)

I agree that we need younger judges, and more women, the lack of which I think is somewhat ironic since overall, drum corps is an extremely inclusive activity. However when it comes to expertise, dance moves have been a huge factor in many color guard performances, and body movement is used by more and more corps each year. I have heard dance folks who follow drum corps claim this aspect is either under judged or judged inaccurately. As someone whose dancing skills are limited to "the Chicken Dance" at a wedding reception, I'm no dance expert, but it sounds valid to me.

• Like 1