Cadets 2017

7 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Attention: Cadets will be starting with the left foot this year.

Lets all hope they get off on the right foot with this alleged change.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, corpsband said:

That's exactly what came to mind when I saw them -- "Cadets are building latrines !" 

That's so 2013

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Cadets '93 also has a bunch of lost music from beginning of the season to the end.

Now this I gotta hear!

21 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Cadets '93 also has a bunch of lost music from beginning of the season to the end.

Until relatively recently this was normal for the Cadets (write way more music than necessary and  then painfully throw things away to get under time).   I kind of miss it (even though I acknowledge it's really kind of stupid from a competitive standpoint)

10 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Until relatively recently this was normal for the Cadets (write way more music than necessary and  then painfully throw things away to get under time).   I kind of miss it (even though I acknowledge it's really kind of stupid from a competitive standpoint)

and started with Prime, Van Doren and Klesch before the move to Crown. There's more to it that just designing to win a gold trinket.

It was part of the Cadets' push the envelope (and the performer) philosophy in practice while admitting some layback waiting to see what the judging community would like. In later years, because such great talents came to the Cadets' line and other talents had to be developed to match, the extended musical charts were meant to be education, preparation, and enjoyment. Easier to hose than to have to fill in for gaps to stretch the show.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, xandandl said:

. Easier to hose than to have to fill in for gaps to stretch the show.

Unfortunately some of the very best stuff suffered the wrath of the hose.  

And I'm not sure cutting is always easier (although it is easier than trying to fill a vacuum .    Better to write complete musical thoughts to the correct length then to lobotomize a longer complete thought afterwards.   Of course in today's DCI it's not uncommon for some programs to actually start out with lobotomized musical thoughts :sad:   

Anyway -- hearing early season Cadets was always a treat.  

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, corpsband said:

Unfortunately some of the very best stuff suffered the wrath of the hose.  

And I'm not sure cutting is always easier (although it is easier than trying to fill a vacuum .    Better to write complete musical thoughts to the correct length then to lobotomize a longer complete thought afterwards.   Of course in today's DCI it's not uncommon for some programs to actually start out with lobotomized musical thoughts :sad:   

Anyway -- hearing early season Cadets was always a treat.  

No doubt. Hearing and seeing.  In the 80s and 90s there were many years where you'd see Garfield/The Cadets early season and they could barely march their show, had demanding music that was filthy, and they often had a full minute or so of additional music in the show that had to be cut.  Yet you knew by mid season they would be in the thick of a top 3 or 4 race, and by championship week they would be coming on strong. 

I always appreciated their experimental nature, their risk taking, and placement aside it was fun to watch them try to perfect these shows over time. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

No doubt. Hearing and seeing.  In the 80s and 90s there were many years where you'd see Garfield/The Cadets early season and they could barely march their show, had demanding music that was filthy, and they often had a full minute or so of additional music in the show that had to be cut.  Yet you knew by mid season they would be in the thick of a top 3 or 4 race, and by championship week they would be coming on strong. 

I always appreciated their experimental nature, their risk taking, and placement aside it was fun to watch them try to perfect these shows over time. 

I'll never forget seeing The Cadets (of Bergen County's) exhibition performance in June of 92 in Terra Haute, Indiana.  I remember the rifle line going to the sideline to pick up their equipment and seeing two or three drops in the space of about 16 counts.  The show was a total mess, but it was obvious the show could be something special once they got their feet under it.