Cadets 2017

11 hours ago, cadet93 said:

Also for some reason was just thinking about this.  For 3 or the last 4 years Cadets have done shows about:

1.  History

2. Math

3. Church

Those are 3 topics that are really going to get me excited about a corps show!?!?!?!

As opposed to the excitement generated by deconstructivism, enigmas, kinetic noise, continuums and whatever the heck Blue Knights have been trying to peddle the last few years?

• Like 3

Just now, Eleran said:

As opposed to the excitement generated by deconstructivism, enigmas, kinetic noise, continuums and whatever the heck Blue Knights have been trying to peddle the last few years?

While I disliked last year's theme from the first time I saw it, the reality is it's all in the execution of a story. That said, Cadets have struggled to move beyond the "faster and louder" era. There seems to almost be a stubbornness to their show concepts, we will give you what we want, not what you want...and then when people don't like it, they go into panic mode, which results in someone dragging mannequins onto the field.

The overall quality of the top 10 corps now, in every respect, means you have to put a cohesive fun show on the field...and march fast and play loud...or you won't have a chance to medal. I am very confident that Cadets will figure it out, they just have too much history and talent on their side.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

While I disliked last year's theme from the first time I saw it, the reality is it's all in the execution of a story. That said, Cadets have struggled to move beyond the "faster and louder" era. There seems to almost be a stubbornness to their show concepts, we will give you what we want, not what you want...and then when people don't like it, they go into panic mode, which results in someone dragging mannequins onto the field.

The overall quality of the top 10 corps now, in every respect, means you have to put a cohesive fun show on the field...and march fast and play loud...or you won't have a chance to medal. I am very confident that Cadets will figure it out, they just have too much history and talent on their side.

There have been many BD shows that I wouldn't consider remotely "fun" that have won.  Cabaret Voltaire is at the top of that list.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

Enemas can be very refreshing. Nothing to sniff at. Oh enigmas...nm.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

So - sadly, the mannequins were planned from the start. Not "panic mode" but they seemed that way for sure. They were on the sidelines in ST last year. Sigh.

I believe the last several years there has been a severe lack of "cohension" in the show design. This year is a new bunch of creative folks and we can hope for a better result this season..

2007 was very well designed. It was just a couple seasons "ahead of its time"

2005 was very well designed. Extremely so.

2009 was very well designed. 

2011 was a home run.

2012 was very well designed but the ballad staging/guard left much to be desired (end zone)

2013 was well designed musically. Visually it was extremely weak with some moments of good drill

2014 the show was "flat" emotionally and the massive stage made the audience feel disconnected from what was happening on the field.

THAT is where what you are referring to REALLY came in. Throwing all the cheese in the end of that show. Such a well-performing corps for Oprah tarps etc.

2015 they had a massively talented corps - but the guard struggled badly and they kept pounding the theme of "10"? over our heads. We get it - "Ten". Very bad design decisions that let a monster brass and percussion line down badly 

2016 - we all know too well

So - 2017:

- Corps is younger

- They lost 2 top caption heads (drill guy after 2015)

- New arranger - Drew. Arrangements sound solid - but different for sure

- Brass - younger but very good attitudes and quite a few talented leads. Should grow and grow as the season develops

- Percussion - extremely strong, Tom is back and it shows. IMO Top 3 or Top 2. Pit is outstanding, tenor line has 3 vets and 2 wonderful rooks, snares &bass line very strong. Techs VERY strong - outstanding vibe from this bunch

- Guard - much better staged and integrated into the show. Work is much better designed/choreographed IMO. Right now it's a sloppy mess but we'll see how they grow over the year

- Drill - I'm very impressed with the drill. A good combination of modern staging, Cadets "run and gun" and expansive field coverage. Members marching better than 2016

- "Show" - I think it should sell well. Uniforms are quite good. Several great moments in the show even in it's roughest of form. IMO it will start in 6th and climb come July

I think some lessons were learned. I do still worry about the "leadership" - leading is not listening to leadership tapes; leadership is selecting good people, coaching them when needed and helping them thrive and grow. Leadership is tough - as a leader it isn't about "me" it is always about them. Leadership is a tricky thing.

So there ya go

I'm hopeful, as a Cadets fan, that 16/17 is a bit of a turning point for Cadets. IMO a well-recieved summer that finishes in 6th or 5th is a "positive", 4th would be great and 3rd is an outside possibility of the show does well and guard cleans to spotless

Time will tell - let's enjoy!

George

• Like 7

BTW - saw the 1080 HD video from last night, and no matter how the show places it will definitely be one of my favorites of the season (and not just because my son's in it).  The entire program has the cohesion that is often missing from drum corps shows, since it is built upon a single composer's single piece of source music, that already supplied the framework for the theme, and the arrangements let the source music breathe without rushing from melody to melody, or splicing in drum/mallet sections without rhyme or reason.   I think the musicians' costumes for Act 1 and Act 2 will look great on the field.  I think the Act 3 costume may have been a good choice of direction, though I'm not certain of the execution - I'll need to see them en masse before I give them an unqualified thumbs up.   

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying everything is perfect or close to perfect.   There are numerous things I would nitpick - certain drill forms or specific arrangement choices, for example - but I know already that this is a show I will return to after this season for regular listening pleasure.  I can't say the same for some other 2017 shows that I've heard so far.

So take that for hype if you want.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I think some lessons were learned. I do still worry about the "leadership" - leading is not listening to leadership tapes; leadership is selecting good people, coaching them when needed and helping them thrive and grow. Leadership is tough - as a leader it isn't about "me" it is always about them. Leadership is a tricky thing. 

No matter what widget made or service provided, it comes down to how you treat and work with the people.  Nice post GD.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, George Dixon said:

email justin@yea.org if you have an issue = he will send you a link right away

Thank you George. Unfortunately, we got an email an hour before start time and ended up suffering through the broadcast! As bad as the broadcast was, I saw some things that peaked my interest though.