9 minutes ago, lindap said:

I looked at a map. Kansas or Nebraska seems to be a middle compromise. Have a contest there if the weather is good mid August or start the season early and have finals late July or start the season late and have finals late August. Shift the season by 2 weeks one way or the other might be a solution to escape the inevitable summer heat?

Given school schedules,  DCI is already pretty much squeezed in on both ends of the schedule.   We don't need to escape the heat -- we just need to avoid the desert :-) 

9 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Given school schedules,  DCI is already pretty much squeezed in on both ends of the schedule.   We don't need to escape the heat -- we just need to avoid the desert :-) 

You inspire this.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stu said:

As recently as 2011, when the temps from Texas throughout the mid-west the highs were from 115* to over 120*, DCI and the top corps sure showed how much they really cared about the potential for heatstroke. Many youth in the top corps went down in rehearsals with heat exhaustion and DCI still chose to hold event from broadcasted theater event from Texas.  So yeah you are correct, I suppose that DCI and the top corps have no problems exposing youth to extremely dangerous and life threatening temperature situations in the name of entertainment.

The DCI event was held in an air conditioned venue.  Why should they have cancelled that?

I also doubt corps really were rehearsing to the point of "many" heat exhaustion cases in 120 degree temperatures.  It was not nearly THAT hot in San Antonio that day.

8 hours ago, corpsband said:

Interesting point. Even with all their expertise and training, NFL teams routinely suffer heat related illnesses.  But because they are properly identified and treated there are rarely any serious consequences.  Heck look at northern teams who go to play in Miami.  Guys dropping left and right because they had no chance to acclimate.  Anyway I'm positive the Raiders will have a nice air-conditioned practice facility in Vegas.  

Korey Stringer, Minnesota Vikings.  RIP.  "The latest victim was high-profilePro Bowl offensive tackle Korey Stringer of the Minnesota Vikings. Stringer, who was 27 with a wife and 3-year-old son, died Wednesday morning, a day after he suffered forced breathing and vomited three timesclassic heatstroke symptoms. He collapsed in the presence of a trainer during the Vikings' Tuesday morning practice in 91-degree heat. His temperature registered over 108."   Atlanta Constitution, 2001

So - if this can happen in a professional organization in the presence of medical staff, how much more easily can it happen in a youth organization led, basically, by other kids pushing the envelope looking to make a name for themselves. So, I have to say I'm with Stu on this one.

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

The DCI event was held in an air conditioned venue.  Why should they have cancelled that?

I also doubt corps really were rehearsing to the point of "many" heat exhaustion cases in 120 degree temperatures.  It was not nearly THAT hot in San Antonio that day.

Nope on all of your accounts.  It was a TOC event in the Dallas, Texas area which was broadcast in theaters, not a show in San Antonio; it was an outdoor venue not inside; the ambient temperature on the field was over 120*; members from different corps had went down during the day due to heat exhaustion; and there were very few people in the stands due to the extreme heat.

Edited by Stu

Adults sending 18-22 year olders out to wear lightweight spandex uniforms in 90-100 degree temps doesn't pizz me off as much as the adults that sent 18-22 year olders out in uniform and heavy backpacks to 125 degree temps in malaria invested hellholes in ' Nam, Cambodia, Laos, and with rifles out in the tropical, humid jungles that wern't  ones of Make Believe either. Its all perspective, I guess.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Korey Stringer, Minnesota Vikings.  RIP.  "The latest victim was high-profilePro Bowl offensive tackle Korey Stringer of the Minnesota Vikings. Stringer, who was 27 with a wife and 3-year-old son, died Wednesday morning, a day after he suffered forced breathing and vomited three timesclassic heatstroke symptoms. He collapsed in the presence of a trainer during the Vikings' Tuesday morning practice in 91-degree heat. His temperature registered over 108."   Atlanta Constitution, 2001

So - if this can happen in a professional organization in the presence of medical staff, how much more easily can it happen in a youth organization led, basically, by other kids pushing the envelope looking to make a name for themselves. So, I have to say I'm with Stu on this one.

I'm not trying to downplay the tragedy of that situation at all, it's terrible, but isn't it important to look at ratios in this situation? In 2001, when Stringer passed away, nearly 1,700 individuals were playing professional football for the NFL. That means that 0.05% of the NFL's players died from heatstroke that season. If that was the only case since 2001 (which I'm assuming it is based purely on the fact that that was the story posted, I did not take the time to look for anything more recent), that means this was one case out of more than 27,000 individual player seasons from 2001 through 2017, or 0.004% of all cases.

It's really, really important to look at likelihood of an outcome before making decisions based on worst-case scenario. Drum corps buses suffer significantly higher rates of damage than these figures, yet we don't ban buses. Can something bad happen from over exposure to heat? Absolutely. But clearly there's preventable measures that can be taken that have high success rates, otherwise all of those numbers would be much much higher.

42 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nope on all of your accounts.  It was a TOC event in the Dallas, Texas area which was broadcast in theaters, not a show in San Antonio; it was an outdoor venue not inside; the ambient temperature on the field was over 120*; members from different corps had went down during the day due to heat exhaustion; and there were very few people in the stands due to the extreme heat.

So you're saying it might be easier to prevent these things from happening in an indoor, air conditioned show venue?

10 minutes ago, ouooga said:

I'm not trying to downplay the tragedy of that situation at all, it's terrible, but isn't it important to look at ratios in this situation? In 2001, when Stringer passed away, nearly 1,700 individuals were playing professional football for the NFL. That means that 0.05% of the NFL's players died from heatstroke that season. If that was the only case since 2001 (which I'm assuming it is based purely on the fact that that was the story posted, I did not take the time to look for anything more recent), that means this was one case out of more than 27,000 individual player seasons from 2001 through 2017, or 0.004% of all cases.

It's really, really important to look at likelihood of an outcome before making decisions based on worst-case scenario. Drum corps buses suffer significantly higher rates of damage than these figures, yet we don't ban buses. Can something bad happen from over exposure to heat? Absolutely. But clearly there's preventable measures that can be taken that have high success rates, otherwise all of those numbers would be much much higher.

So 0.05% death rate is acceptable?  I'm not buying your argument. Deaths due to heat in a drum corps environment are 100 percent preventable. The only acceptable death rate is 0.00%