The Massillon Knock Out August 7

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Cadets, Phantom, SCV, and Cavs all need to turn down the amps. A lot. Crown a little. Bloo, Boston, and Crossmen are fine in this regard.

This is opposite from how I felt in Nashville. The only 2 groups live that I could feel the bass in my chest were BD and Bluecoats. I only heard the soloists for SCV come out of the speakers, guess last night the levels, ratios, something else was off. To each their own.

12 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Did they turn the Vocalist mic down?

That's a good question, and the answer is subtle.

To my ears in my seat on the 50 (not bragging, sound depends on whether or not you are sitting in front of a giant speaker) it sounded like the singer was slightly UNDER the brass at peak moments, instead of wailing OVER the brass.  I thought the blend was better.

Better because the audience loves to hear the PURE BRASS SOUND from this corps, no singing, no drums at times.  The sonority is incredible!

42 minutes ago, WVCorpsPhan said:

This show was awesome! All 8 corps blew my mind. I honestly think SCV can overtake BD with that show. And, holy crap, Bluecoats! The crowd was electric for them and they performed very well!

My ONLY complaint- Something has to be done about the seating in that stadium. People were literally sitting on top of each other and multiple arguments because you either couldn't see the number on the seat or the seats were so close that people couldn't fit. The security literally told people to just find an empty spot, which didn't hide well when that ended up being someone else's seat. 

Seating in that stadium is bad, even though the sound is incredible. 

I have a sneaky suspicion that future Pro Football Hall of Fame and Bluecoats sponsored TOC shows will be held at the new Tom Benson Stadium in Canton, OH (right off of Interstate 77). That stadium is much bigger on the home side, with 2 decks and clear views of the field no matter where you sit. I think the sound will be amazing there. The link below gives you and idea of what that stadium looks like and what the Hall of Fame Village will be like once complete. The stadium is finished.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/ct-football-hall-of-fame-development-20170806-story.html

I do believe Bluecoats will continue to use Massillon's Paul Brown Stadium for their early June show.  Just a hunch on my part. I have no inside info at this time. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Crown also makes great use of the brass line on percussion instruments yet again.

Respectfully disagree, one of the few times.

The corps rolls out some bass drums which are played as a kick drum by the battery, and a few toms which are played with a drum stick by the brass players in one hand while playing their brass instrument with the other.

The kick drums are played at a low volume and are not together.  It sounds more like a flam to me, "da-DUM."

The brass players only "tap" the toms using nothing more than quarter notes without adding any true percussion sound to the sound mix.  It looks cheesy and sounds cheesy, IMO.  Crown's perc scores are running in 6th place.  I wonder if this is why?

12 hours ago, monarch said:

PLEASe end with the horns!!!

Where I was sitting when the last horn chord was hit the entire stadium lept to its feet in applause and with appreciation, only to SIT BACK DOWN and stop applauding to see the show end with the horn players running in a circle on the 25 yard line with the drums playing front and center.  It is a HUGE letdown and takes the air out of the crowd appreciation moment.

If Crown had Vanguard's visual ending this contest would be over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

And fell further behind Crown. It's my favorite show of the season, for probably the fourth year in a row. Just wish the judges felt the same way.

Crowns show is incredible. Well deserved.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, cadet93 said:

Don't get the ending. (Crown)

Because the percussion is front and center at the end, I suspect it's an attempt to gin up some percussion points.

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Where I was sitting when the last horn chord was hit the entire stadium lept to its feet in applause and with appreciation, only to SIT BACK DOWN and stop applauding to see the show end with the horn players running in a circle on the 25 yard line with the drums playing front and center.  It is a HUGE letdown and takes the air out of the crowd appreciation moment.

If Crown had Vanguard's visual ending this contest would be over.

Agree about Crown's ending. Some visual designer got his/her wish. Never never never muck a show up musically, especially at the end. Music still drives the bus folks, whether you agree or not. I still firmly believe it should be a music activity first, with all other elements added to enhance that music. Drum And Bugle Corps!

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 5