The Massillon Knock Out August 7

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

I have a sneaky suspicion that future Pro Football Hall of Fame and Bluecoats sponsored TOC shows will be held at the new Tom Benson Stadium in Canton, OH (right off of Interstate 77)

Here in West Virginia we have our only drum corps show Drums Across the Tri-State right next to an interstate.  The audience/press box side faces Interstate 64.  The constant sound of tractor trailers and other traffic detracts from the sound at the show.  I'm afraid the Tom Benson Stadium would have it even worse with the higher traffic of I-77.

Still, it's hard to believe Paul Brown Stadium in Massilon is the SECOND best high school stadium not just in Ohio, but in Stark County! 

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Here in West Virginia we have our only drum corps show Drums Across the Tri-State right next to an interstate.  The audience/press box side faces Interstate 64.  The constant sound of tractor trailers and other traffic detracts from the sound at the show.  I'm afraid the Tom Benson Stadium would have it even worse with the higher traffic of I-77.

Still, it's hard to believe Paul Brown Stadium in Massilon is the SECOND best high school stadium not just in Ohio, but in Stark County! 

That stadium is elevated above the highway with sound barrier. Even in the old days when Bloo used to run their shows at Fawcett Stadium the traffic from the highway was never an issue. I think it will be even better now.  Hope so. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Thanks to everyone that turned out tonight (last night).   Indeed we set a new attendance record.  Don't know the exact final number yet, but front side sold out...several HUNDRED were on the back side! 

The Massillon (probably more Canton) crowd was fantastic as usual in their support for ALL of the corps.  You could see on their faces just how much ALL of the corps appreciated the cheers and standing ovations that ALL of them received.

A special shout out to Dave Glasgow and Genevieve Geisler on their induction into Bluecoats Hall of Fame.  They are most deserving!!!  For those that may not know, Dave is the Executive Director and Genevieve is the Operations Manager for the corps.  This husband and wife TEAM have led the Bluecoats to fantastic heights over their years of leadership.

For those of you that were there...comments on how the event could be made better are certainly welcome.
Yes, easier parking...Yes, more restrooms...Yes, more concession stands...Yes, would be nice if BD would drop in....unfortunately some of that is out of our control.

Finally, thank you to the great corps that made for such a special night. Is there anything as good as drum corps in August?   AND THANK YOU BLOO for giving the hometown folks a fantastic performance of "Jagged Line" and another legendary encore performance!!!  (And thinks to Rhythm IN BLUE too.)

Well said. A truly special event from top to bottom. I bet attendance was well over 8,000. Who knows? 

The crowd gives it up for everyone in such a big way. I get the feeling that the Massillon show is like therapy for many of the marchers. Every corps there last night had to walk away with smiles on their faces and ready to work for Finals. 

I honestly have never had an issue with parking. At least not with finding a space. The issue is more traffic into and out of the stadium. Coming in from the front of the stadium (The High School side) is not easy and the traffic just jams for miles in that area.  None of this is an issue for the June show, but for the Pro Football Hall of Fame/Bluecoats show (August) it is a problem. Most of this is simply due to how Massillon is laid out in that area around the H.S.

If the 2nd show (Pro Football HOF show) does continue to be held in Massillon (I am not an insider so I can only speculate...but who knows) then they may wish to do more with shuttles from the Lincoln Plaza area to the stadium.  They could get a lot of cars off the road faster and let people either walk or shuttle to the stadium. But I don't think space is the issue, it's the traffic.  One thing they could try is having all those high school band buses park across the street at the plaza (instead in the main H.S. lots). That might cut down on the congestion. Maybe there is room to the south of the stadium that can be zoned off for high school buses and other vehicles. 

The only way to fix the restroom issue is if Massillon Local Schools gets permission to renovate the front of that stadium -- which may happen at some point to compete with the new Tom Benson Stadium. The other way would be to supply some porta potties inside the stadium or just outside the gates.  

I think I mentioned this a while back, but for the big August show the Massillon band parents should setup 4 small stations. Two that are outside near the ticket booths, and two that are inside (one of them being the normal area, and the other over near souvies). They would need to extend the gated area outward from the stadium so that ticket holders can walk out and back in freely (or just ask to see tickets when they re-enter). 

I think Blue Devils prefer to call it a day after Buffalo and hunker down for Finals. Would love to see them come again as well. Their show this year would have been a big hit. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Well, I can tell you firsthand that I sat in the field level seats on the 50 at LOS for Opening night. During Crown and Cadets performance, there were people ( mostly children) putting their hands over their ears it was so loud. It left the area of "impressive" and entered the area of "oppressive". 

I'm packing plenty of earplugs for Indy!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

If Crown had Vanguard's visual ending this contest would be over.

It's frustrating!  There must be a long list of fans who want to shake the design team and say:

"Hello?  Anybody home?  Wake up!  We get your silly deconstruction thing... just find a way to deconstruct with the beautiful brass sound that started the show!  Stop throwing away GOLD with both hands!"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

That stadium is elevated above the highway with sound barrier. Even in the old days when Bloo used to run their shows at Fawcett Stadium the traffic from the highway was never an issue. I think it will be even better now.  Hope so. 

That's good to know.

The GREAT thing about Paul Brown Stadium is that it is MADE for drum corps.  It has a lot of FREE parking for spectators, food places on the main drag 5 minutes away, and a huge paddock for the multitude of corps vehicles, all surrounding the stadium.  I like the park as well, very relaxing.

The good thing about the new stadium is comfortable seating, clean bathrooms, clean and modern concession facilities.  If the sound will not be a problem and there is adequate parking for the corps vehicles, a move to the new facility seems like a nice upgrade.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ediker said:

It's frustrating!  There must be a long list of fans who want to shake the design team and say:

"Hello?  Anybody home?  Wake up!  We get your silly deconstruction thing... just find a way to deconstruct with the beautiful brass sound that started the show!  Stop throwing away GOLD with both hands!"

I only gave you one "Like" on your post because the software won't let me give you a thousand! 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Ediker said:

THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crown has a few years where their show design and concept cost them.