The Massillon Knock Out August 7

9 minutes ago, WVCorpsPhan said:

Also, loved the Cadets show! So much better live. And the new ending is fantastic! Crown blew me away also. 

Still just so impressed by last night. 

I said that of the Cadets in my review of them back in June. Seeing them on Flo or YT is just not the best way to watch and hear the show. Live gives you the sonority of that brass and percussion coupled with the vocal ensemble. The costuming makes more sense when you're not getting too many close-ups as you do with multi-cam. The Cadets show really feels and plays better from the stands, which is what the LIVE viewer is seeing and hearing.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Seating in that stadium is bad, even though the sound is incredible. 

I have a sneaky suspicion that future Pro Football Hall of Fame and Bluecoats sponsored TOC shows will be held at the new Tom Benson Stadium in Canton, OH (right off of Interstate 77). That stadium is much bigger on the home side, with 2 decks and clear views of the field no matter where you sit. I think the sound will be amazing there. The link below gives you and idea of what that stadium looks like and what the Hall of Fame Village will be like once complete. The stadium is finished.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/ct-football-hall-of-fame-development-20170806-story.html

I do believe Bluecoats will continue to use Massillon's Paul Brown Stadium for their early June show. 

I believe you are correct on both points. We should see a new venue for the season ending TOC show next year and it should be really nice.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I believe you are correct on both points. We should see a new venue for the season ending TOC show next year and it should be really nice.

I say this not because Bluecoats are not happy with Massillon, but more so because the new Tom Benson Stadium is situated next to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton. If Bloo and the PFHOF are going to continue to share the sponsoring of this show, then I cannot see how it doesn't move. The PFHOF will want visitors and DCI fans to be near the Hall of Fame. It just makes sense. But I know Bluecoats will likely scout the stadium down to the "t" and consider all things, like traffic, parking, warm-up areas, accessibility issues, entrances and exits, etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I say this not because Bluecoats are not happy with Massillon, but more so because the new Tom Benson Stadium is situated next to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton. If Bloo and the PFHOF are going to continue to share the sponsoring of this show, then I cannot see how it doesn't move. The PFHOF will want visitors and DCI fans to be near the Hall of Fame. It just makes sense. But I know Bluecoats will likely scout the stadium down to the "t" and consider all things, like traffic, parking, warm-up areas, accessibility issues, entrances and exits, etc. 

Exactly. 

I loved the Cadet's show last night - so regal, 'big' and symphonic. If this is 7th, it has to be one of the best 7th place corps ever.  

I loved all the corps last night. Some puzzling placements (e.g. Cavies winning guard with a dirty book still) but top to bottom great drum corps!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, kevingamin said:

I'm not sure I get the effect of this effect, though. Hearing the horns full out while facing backfield just sounds...fake. Add the weird percussion underneath and I'm just confused.

This might change.  I'm guessing (no inside info whatsoever) that backfield moment is designed to bounce off the back wall of the Lucas Oil Stadium.  To get that fantastic backfield sound all they need to do at that point is turn off the electronics designed to be used in non-dome venues.

We shall see.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Just Here said:

This number is simply boring in a show that is supposedly about deconstruction.

To be fair: in my experience, most people find deconstructionism boring.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

For those of you that were there...comments on how the event could be made better are certainly welcome.
Yes, easier parking..

Easier parking?  I think the stadium parking is great and very well organized by the staff, every available piece of ground is used including up and down the street after all the other lot parking was full.  There is a dedicated hand-capped parking lot right beside the front gate which is very thoughtful.  I don't know what else you could do or where else you could put people. 

I did notice a LOT of older faces in the crowd, and I noticed a LOT of side-by-side vehicles like Kawasaki Mules.  It might be nice to shuttle some of the older folk to and from the distant parking lot, I bet they would appreciate that.  BTW the security people (all volunteers) provided by the HOF were friendly and just great.  Make sure to tell them that.  :)

I parked between two trees in the park, along with several other SUV's.  Good times.  :)

• Like 1