The Massillon Knock Out August 7

7 hours ago, TrumpetHornMom said:

I am a old fan of DCI that is just getting back into it. I think what you say makes so much sense, but to me it seems like the Xmen played so much more than BAC. I do love BAC, but I was shocked how little the brass played. The first time I saw BAC, I fell in love, but it was with the color guard and the plume dance and the singer (gasp). Don't get me wrong, their brass sounds incredible, but I don't here them enough. I thought xmen were so powerful right out of the gate, and they kept it going. They literally ran out and had the energy to blast your face off, and that sweet ballad. Yummy! Then I watched PR...just thought Xmen would have a big jump last night. Again, just getting back into DCI after 17 yrs off, so please don't burn me at the stake. ;)

posted from the DrumScorps app

It just goes to show you what great integration of the brass and percussion can do to ones perception....BAC's brass plays for about 6 1/2 minutes which is on par with most other world class corps...oh and btw...the most notes doesn't always win in this era of DCI...

5 hours ago, WVCorpsPhan said:

This show was awesome! All 8 corps blew my mind. I honestly think SCV can overtake BD with that show. And, holy crap, Bluecoats! The crowd was electric for them and they performed very well!

My ONLY complaint- Something has to be done about the seating in that stadium. People were literally sitting on top of each other and multiple arguments because you either couldn't see the number on the seat or the seats were so close that people couldn't fit. The security literally told people to just find an empty spot, which didn't hide well when that ended up being someone else's seat. 

Well that's why I have a decent but fair size seat cushion...an empty spot would not have worked for me...I would have expected to sit exactly on my numbered seat and would not settle for anything else...general admission would be another matter and anywhere would suffice...good thing I was not there...fists might have been flying..haha

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

To be fair: in my experience, most people find deconstructionism boring.

a snooze fest is more like it...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TrumpetHornMom said:

I am a old fan of DCI that is just getting back into it. I think what you say makes so much sense, but to me it seems like the Xmen played so much more than BAC. I do love BAC, but I was shocked how little the brass played. The first time I saw BAC, I fell in love, but it was with the color guard and the plume dance and the singer (gasp). Don't get me wrong, their brass sounds incredible, but I don't here them enough. I thought xmen were so powerful right out of the gate, and they kept it going. They literally ran out and had the energy to blast your face off, and that sweet ballad. Yummy! Then I watched PR...just thought Xmen would have a big jump last night. Again, just getting back into DCI after 17 yrs off, so please don't burn me at the stake. ;)

It just goes to show you what great integration of the brass and percussion can do to ones perception....BAC's brass plays for about 6 1/2 minutes which is on par with most other world class corps...oh and btw...the most notes doesn't always win in this era of DCI...

Thank you, Liahona. I genuinely value what you have to say. I've been lurking all season, and always look forward to your posts. Like I said, it's been awhile, and I am used to those clean tight formations while playing. I am so happy that a friend got me back into it. I'm really a fan of all the corps, just feel like Xmen don't get enough credit. Super excited for finals!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrumpetHornMom said:

Thank you, Liahona. I genuinely value what you have to say. I've been lurking all season, and always look forward to your posts. Like I said, it's been awhile, and I am used to those clean tight formations while playing. I am so happy that a friend got me back into it. I'm really a fan of all the corps, just feel like Xmen don't get enough credit. Super excited for finals!!!

I really like Xmen's show this year...I did last year as well...especially the music...

4 hours ago, Ediker said:

It's frustrating!  There must be a long list of fans who want to shake the design team and say:

"Hello?  Anybody home?  Wake up!  We get your silly deconstruction thing... just find a way to deconstruct with the beautiful brass sound that started the show!  Stop throwing away GOLD with both hands!"

I like peanut butter sandwiches. Yummy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liahona said:

6 to 8 minutes for brass and percussion is about typical now - 7 and change the most, but as you say - it comes down to being effective, demonstrating different abilities and not playing the longest or playing the most notes

• Like 2