The Massillon Knock Out August 7

45 minutes ago, CrossmenMelloMom said:

Pretty disheartening for sure.

posted from the DrumScorps app

Not to beat the horse that has been dead for a decade, but . . . different night, different stadium, different temperature, different order, different day, different show vibe, different drum tuning, different wall/no wall/track/no track, etc. At the new level that is current day drums corps, I do not see this 1 point or so shift unplausible. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, POSITIVenrgy said:

Sorry, but I liked PR way more than Crossmen. But these shows are truly apples and oranges, so it's a preference thing. I prefer a classic, uncluttered drum corps show to a LOT of props that to my eyes, make the field too busy. I mean, the props by design are "busy". PR, for me is just fast, strong, and lots of gorgeous flag work.  But, I do love Crossmen's music.  A lot!

Agree, totally, except I do not like Crossmen's music. Love the original. Love BD version. Even love SOA's version. Both had some guts and energy. 

• Like 1

Bluecoats 6 in color guard? Bad run? I thought they were running 4th overall? They were 3 last night (cavaliers color guard clearly better...but no BD in Massillon) so I would expect 3 tonight too.

Edited by ThePlanets

4 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Bluecoats 6 in color guard? Bad run? I thought they were running 4th overall? They were 3 last night (cavaliers color guard clearly better...but no BD in Massillon) so I would expect 3 tonight too.

:shrug: Different set of eyes; different interpretation? Who knows? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iloveband said:

Tone quality vs blatty and loud. 

who was blatty?

certainly not boston..clean your ears out..too much wax in them.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Liahona said:

who was blatty?

certainly not boston..clean your ears out..too much wax in them.

Haha! I actually had my ears cleaned out today! I had a wax buildup and really wanted to hear the shows clearly tonight! I didn't hear any blatty lines.  (Of course I still had selective hearing when it came to Mrs. Lancer.)

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

When Vanguard and Bluecoats faced off for the second time this year in Minnesota, with Bloo having beaten SCV the day before, I said, before the scores were announced, that based on the stream video, Vanguard ought to win. Which is what happened.

Before the scores were announced at the first show in which BD, SCV, Crown, and Bloo were all together, I said, that based on what I saw on the stream, BD ought to be first and Bloo ought to be fourth. Which is what happened.

Just one week ago, when I saw Bloo in Dublin, I turned to garfield right after they finished and said, "I can see why they've been placing fourth". Which is how they did at Allentown later that week.

So I feel I had demonstrated my aesthetic sensibilities were in reasonable alignment with those of the judges. (Of course, both they and I could have been wrong. Perhaps history will find it so. But that's another subject.)

Tonight live at Massillon, I thought Bluecoats were the best.

Even with the pedal trumpet mic off, even with one member grabbing the red-lined hat rather than the green-lined hat for the percussion break, even though they've moved the tenors together for their early feature.

It has nothing to do with the mood of the bulk of the audience. I came into the show totally prepared to feel Bluecoats deserved the third I knew they were likely to get based on their recent placements.

But all the things I felt were holding them back before have been fixed. And the ballad really works now. As it happens, my grumpy friend who only attends one or two shows a year, has no favorites, and is always critical about something, thought the climax of the ballad was the coolest moment of the evening. (Admittedly number two for him was probably the Crossmen's move to the lower left corner. And he's still baffled about his one trip to Allentown with me, in 2011, when he could not understand how Blue Devils' Bacharach show beat Cadets "Angels & Demons", about which he knew nothing in advance, and which immediately became his all-time favorite drum corps show.) If Bloo is playing like they did tonight, only BD ought to be beating them in musical effect--that's based on numerous stream viewings; I'm sorry I won't get to see BD live this year.

Oh well.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm sorry I won't get to see BD live this year.

Oh well.

You poor thing.

Just a quick comment: Flo versus in person was a BIG difference for me. My opinion flipped on a bunch of corps once I saw them live.

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Just a quick comment: Flo versus in person was a BIG difference for me. My opinion flipped on a bunch of corps once I saw them live.

Well, since I think BD is musically awesome based simply on Flo's streams, maybe I'm better off not seeing them in person? Because I'd hate to be disappointed by them live.