The Massillon Knock Out August 7

9 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

But if DCI isn't going to stop it, I don't know why anyone would single out a single corps for using it. 

I singled out two corps, SCV and Cavs.

And I don't know how DCI would stop that from happening, but I wish they would.  I suppose the only way to deal with it is via adjudication, not giving brass or percussion credit for a sound pressure level (SPL) they do not create.

Edited by wvu80

Just now, wvu80 said:

Yes.  (haven't heard BD live, so no judgement from me)

MUCH less hornline ensemble amplification with Crown than any other corps.  Especially in the opener you can hear each horn section individually from left to right as they were ON THE FIELD with incredible articulation.

Cadets used some chest thump electronics, but it was not the amplified horn sound.  Cavies and Vanguard were by far the worst offenders and the horn line sound for each corps suffered clear distortion IMO.

I've heard BD 5 times live....put your chinstrap on if amplification is your issue. 

Crown was concussive with amplification on opening night in Lucas Oil. I was there for that live as well. 

I spent a week on the road from 7/21-7/29 and saw 5 shows. That is when Cavs started using three sideline shotgun mics. Cadets also began to mic the hell out of their hornline. I honestly never noticed Santa Clara using them at all. Pretty sure Boston has their brass mic'ed as well with shotguns placed right behind the pit. 

I wish it would all go away. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, CajunMamma said:

The white helmet change in Phantom's show is critical to the storyline. The white helmets on the field represent the corps members and Phantom's traditions that came before them. The guard are entities called "phantasms" who invade the minds of the corps to confuse them and break their traditions. The phantasms blur fantasy and reality, and the corps begins to see them as beautiful during the ballad. They run to their ancestors (the white helmets) for strength and guidance as they battle the beautiful phantasms to keep their traditions. They triumph and the phantasms transform into the hope for the future.

posted from the DrumScorps app

CajunMamma,

Thanks for chipping in with this post. Along with my reply to CDUB on page 47, maybe we can help respond to those who suggest they just do not "get it".

IMHO, the theme is autobiographical about the corps itself and represents an ongoing introspection begun last year with "Voice of Promise".  I think Will Pitts may be among those leading this journey "Into the Light" and I believe that the future is bright for the Regiment.

By the way, are your son's initials JI, is he from Lafayette and is he a Buick?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

And I don't know DCI would stop that from happening, but I wish they would.  I suppose the only way to deal with it is via adjudication, not giving brass or percussion credit for a sound pressure level (SPL) they do not create.

Well, I can tell you firsthand that I sat in the field level seats on the 50 at LOS for Opening night. During Crown and Cadets performance, there were people ( mostly children) putting their hands over their ears it was so loud. It left the area of "impressive" and entered the area of "oppressive". 

• Like 4

Thanks to everyone that turned out tonight (last night).   Indeed we set a new attendance record.  Don't know the exact final number yet, but front side sold out...several HUNDRED were on the back side! 

The Massillon (probably more Canton) crowd was fantastic as usual in their support for ALL of the corps.  You could see on their faces just how much ALL of the corps appreciated the cheers and standing ovations that ALL of them received.

A special shout out to Dave Glasgow and Genevieve Geisler on their induction into Bluecoats Hall of Fame.  They are most deserving!!!  For those that may not know, Dave is the Executive Director and Genevieve is the Operations Manager for the corps.  This husband and wife TEAM have led the Bluecoats to fantastic heights over their years of leadership.

For those of you that were there...comments on how the event could be made better are certainly welcome.
Yes, easier parking...Yes, more restrooms...Yes, more concession stands...Yes, would be nice if BD would drop in....unfortunately some of that is out of our control.

Finally, thank you to the great corps that made for such a special night. Is there anything as good as drum corps in August?   AND THANK YOU BLOO for giving the hometown folks a fantastic performance of "Jagged Line" and another legendary encore performance!!!  (And thinks to Rhythm IN BLUE too.)

• Like 7

4 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Well, I can tell you firsthand that I sat in the field level seats on the 50 at LOS for Opening night. During Crown and Cadets performance, there were people ( mostly children) putting their hands over their ears it was so loud. It left the area of "impressive" and entered the area of "oppressive". 

I have my ear protection packed. 

• Like 1

A few weeks ago in Winston Salem I noticed two groups that lacked the Colvin they usually do - Cadets and Carolina Crown. I was sitting in the 45 years line in the club seats at the top and was underwhelmed with the power of both hornlines. Why? Because the corps that came before them used amplification to blow out their  corps, they were almost over amplified. A week later Crown and Cadets both add more mics to the front sidelines. I feel this entire amplification thing is getting out of control. 

• Like 3

Just now, XmenBonesRemain said:

There is some invisible ceiling at play here. It doesn't make sense.

I think several things come into play.  When did they perform? Who did they perform after? What groups are at the show?  If you look at all TOC shows the non G7/Top8  corps normally suffers an early performance time and is still lower in rankings giving judges a cushion.  Stars and BK were at their own show with nonfinalists and both jumped almost 3 points.

I am a old fan of DCI that is just getting back into it. I think what you say makes so much sense, but to me it seems like the Xmen played so much more than BAC. I do love BAC, but I was shocked how little the brass played. The first time I saw BAC, I fell in love, but it was with the color guard and the plume dance and the singer (gasp). Don't get me wrong, their brass sounds incredible, but I don't here them enough. I thought xmen were so powerful right out of the gate, and they kept it going. They literally ran out and had the energy to blast your face off, and that sweet ballad. Yummy! Then I watched PR...just thought Xmen would have a big jump last night. Again, just getting back into DCI after 17 yrs off, so please don't burn me at the stake. ;)

• Like 1

Just now, XmenBonesRemain said:

Exactly, the Crossmen seem to make .4 advances while Blue Stars at other shows advance 2 full points.

Seems like judging panels with agendas to me.

or less competition.  Save the numbers for the top groups at the show.  Since BK and Stars were the only finalists you can see the score bump.  Here you have 8 top 12 groups you gotta be number conscious or BD 14 happens.  Was it the cleanest show ever with no error?  No but it was that much better than the others that caused them to get such a high score.  Number management is key.

I so appreciate all of the info! I have really enjoyed getting back into DCI this season. It is a lot different than I remember, but still so fun!