Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

24 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

But my argument is that there is far less objective criteria in DCI than in any other subjective scoring sport. There is no perfect model to compare a drum corps show to, in other sports there are textbook definitions of how things are supposed to be done. A triple axle is a triple axle, there is an objective definition. A trained eye can better assess the launch angle, the rotation speed, the foot position, etc, but the naked eye of a layman can at least know it was a triple axle or a triple lutz and know that its a required part of their show. Drum corps fans cannot agree on difficulty content or physical visual demand.

For example BD and Crown use almost fundamentally different brass techniques. There is a different sound, a different balance, a different clarity of tone, different technical aspects and neither one is right or wrong, its a matter of preference. This is why I say the difference between the top corps is only a matter of degrees. Where on the sheets will it definitively say that Crowns Brass was better than BDs? I think there can be reasonable cited arguments that can defend either. This is why I keep going back to the fact the the judge assigned to the caption is more important than the performance on the field.

You can, if you so desire, purchase the rules and judging criteria from DCI for around $40, and study them. Have you done that?

Note: this excerpt is obviously several years old by @socalcontra in the post How do you become a DCI Judge? but this isn't the first time I've heard of a similar situation from a colleague more recently.

On 7/2/2006 at 4:11 PM, socalcontra said:

Even with having an "in" at the DCI office it still was up to "the great one" to make the assignments. In any case, I went from 4-5 shows at my zenith, to 2-3 shows, then to no assignments. I finally had enough of "the great one" and went straight to the head brass judge of DCI at that time. Some observations:

RULE #1: Never go over the head someone who is "a great one" in DCI if you plan on continuing as a DCI judge. I got ONE assignment begrudgenly from "the great one" a week or so after that phone call I made to DCI and that was the last one I ever got. The next year I don't believe I even sent in my availabilty sheet. I figured why bother-it just wasn't worth the hassle anymore! I guess I should have sent out more birthday and Christmas cards during the off season to "the great one".

RULE #2: If you have "friends" who you think that can help your cause and offering support to help you in your endeavor to be a judge-DON'T. Some people's take is don't rock the boat. My take is its only one person who can ruin your chances to be what you want to be-so rock away! Well, that doesn't help the cause at all. Yes, I have friends that are DCI judges but I don't think it was in their best interest to help me out. I felt I became "leperous" to them and why should they risk the anger of "the great one" in helping me out. Of course, some helped me right out the door as a judge-right back to being a spectator.

In all of this for the ten years I was a DCI judge I do not have one single NEGATIVE evaluation telling me I lack the qualifications of being a DCI judge and/or I should not be assigned as a judge. I also never have turned in anything to the DCI office stating I do not wish to judge shows. As far as the central office is concerned, I guess I am just an "inactive" judge. I will stay "inactive" for a few more years. I assume even "the great ones" tend to go off to the big football field in the sky. Longevity is on my side and I can wait them out (of course I might need a new green shirt, mine's a bit smaller these days).

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

You can, if you so desire, purchase the rules and judging criteria from DCI for around $40, and study them. Have you done that?

Is this available to the general public ?

If it is,could you please tell me how to do this .

I know I've tried to get DCI's Bi-Laws but couldn't

8 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Note: this excerpt is obviously several years old by @socalcontra in the post How do you become a DCI Judge? but this isn't the first time I've heard of a similar situation from a colleague more recently.

The post you referenced read like the multitude of same type stories told by a multitude of people about the multitude of jobs in all of life. Nothing 'special' or 'different' about DCI popped out of that post.

7 hours ago, garfield said:

Really?  I had no idea.

Wow, stay on for 8 seconds and look better doing it than the next rider may let you win on style points?

That is correct, sir! Not that I really follow this kind of thing, but there are judges who give style points...to the rider AND the bull. If the bull sucks, the rider might get a re-ride.
Bull riding judging

1 minute ago, Stu said:

The post you referenced read like the multitude of same type stories told by a multitude of people about the multitude of jobs in all of life. Nothing 'special' or 'different' about DCI popped out of that post.

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

That's pretty much the lay of the land (@socalcontra and I judged together for a few years). Like most anything else, a heaping helping of internal politics to deal with, if you want to get/stay in the good graces of those doing the assignments. Not too different from many jobs/careers.

• Like 1