Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

1 minute ago, c mor said:

Now you understand.

Lol of course I understand, that has been my point all along.

OK, I'll just finish out my comments by relating a judges training story from a seminar with Mike Rubino years ago:

All the brass judges we had at the seminar were shown about a half dozen shows, and the shows reflected everything from the finest groups of the day to beginner-level. We were to listen to the brass performances and give a rank/score to each one. At the conclusion, we made a big chart on the blackboard and filled in our scores. It was quickly apparent that there is a clear phenomenon in play...the better the group, the less variance in score, the less disagreement in terms of rank and rate. At the top, errors pop right out at you off of a spotless table of performance. The beginning level groups had a multiplicity of issues, from intonation to tone quality to accuracy, many times layered one upon the other. Of course, the better the group, the more consistent the performance. Lesson learned here? There is less disagreement at the top (aka "slotting" to the conspiracy theorist), while the lesser groups have to endure big swings in score and sometimes rank, due to their many shortcomings. It's not as easy now, as the quality of performers has risen at the top tier to ridiculous levels. A single clipped note, late release or other minor defect not detectable from the stands might make the difference between a caption win and a loss. It's an interesting dynamic...just thought I'd relate this as a useful dynamic to consider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

No, you tried to justify your personal view/feelings by portraying a larger "moves people" statement in the first sentence. Nice try.

Does intent and syntax count for nothing?

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

Does intent and syntax count for nothing?

Yep.

• Like 1

Come on, it's DCP. You should know better. :wall:  :laughing:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

Come on, it's DCP. You should know better. :wall:  :laughing:

It's like watching a blind and deaf cat chase its  tail.  You want to step in and calm the cat down, but then you realize that this is really all the cat has to do in life to entertain itself, besides grooming......

2 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Ya that segment really works with the rest of the context.

Not really. Dismissing any flaws is literally what you've been harping the judges about. 

46 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

It's like watching a blind and deaf cat chase its  tail.  You want to step in and calm the cat down, but then you realize that this is really all the cat has to do in life to entertain itself, besides grooming......

Well, it isn't constant entertainment for everyone...I just duck in here from time to time.

Edited by BDCorno
trying not to offend.

45 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

And you're just the one to walk up and give it a good, swift kick just because you disagree with the grooming process, right?

Because you're actually doing it a favor, right?  

Because you know better for this cat than it knows for itself, and it just proves to be an idiot by ignoring you, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2