Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

I happen to know that a lot of kids read DCP. 

How about you find a better way to make your point or be funny.

It should be easy with the person to whom you're responding.

OK, fixed. 

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

Does intent and syntax count for nothing?

I think it counts for something. So if you meant something else, could you please explain to me why you felt Crown should've been the winner that year (2009)? I ask this not to say "I don't agree," I just want to know whether the reasoning is anything beyond "this show moved me more than BD's" 

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

I am not saying that [compulsories] is what I want. I am saying the lack of compulsories puts more weight on the subjective opinion of the judge, which can lead to wider variances.

With this posting of yours, I am now laughing so hard I might bust my spleen concerning your vehement OMG .5 variance complaint!!!! :w00t:

23 hours ago, ContraFart said:

If that is the case the name on the judging sheet has more weight than the performance on the field.

sadly sometimes yes

22 hours ago, ContraFart said:

But it effects the integrity of the competition and I have an issue with that.

does the umpiring crew affect a baseball game? Every ump has their "strike zone".

does the ref crew affect a football game? 

does the judge on the bench affect the outcome of a case with their decisions?

yet all are supposedly objective things. a strikes's a strike, holding is holding, the law is the law right?

Not so much. Drum corps as well.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

It's indicative and demonstrative of what happens when you throw all the rules out the window in the manner DCI has.

The point of any game, be it a board game, or a card game, or a video game, or a sports game, is to play within the rules of the game.  When you start changing the rules, bending the rules, making up the rules as you go along, and flat-out ignoring the rules to encourage participation....that's when the game ceases to be a game, and becomes subjective, high-concept performance art.

I'm reminded of those Game Genie cartridges kids used to attach to their Nintendo games so they could cheat.  That's no longer a game, and you didn't win anything.  Such it is in this activity today.  People keep saying "Corps today would blow every single corps from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s out of the water".  Well no they wouldn't....corps today would all be instantly disqualified from competition.  Why?  Because there were rules in place to disallow artificial trickery on the field......artificial trickery which is tantamount to cheating.

rules have been changing since the day drum corps was invented.

21 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I was using a random example and broadening the scope. The .2 number is in theory, but still plausible. 

Let me ask you a question. Do you think any combination of judges still would have had BD over Crown in 2015? Or to use an example that may more emotional to you, Phantom over BD in 2008? Or would a different panel yield a different result?

both are, IMO entirely possible.

a judge judges their sheet on that day, based on what they see and hear. Who knows...a different panel may have had Phantom up higher or BD up higher as well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ContraFart said:

As stated earlier in the thread. Its the system the top corps agreed on. I don't think Mandarins vote gets the same weight as BD.

they get the same number of votes....1 each. 

Remember when A&E passd, Cavies were an outspoken No...so were Bluecoats. Both top 6 at the time. So much weight did they hold...in fact when the vote passed in December 02, Cavies just set the record score at that time and were the driving force in the game.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Yes I have a personal bias about that year. I don't deny it. Does that invalidate every other word I say?

well it casts light on your complaints about the judging...who you claim has personal biases

• Like 1