The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

9 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

No place is immune to this sort of thing nor does not have to deal with it from 1 degree to another. We are a very inbreed activity and we all interact with another. Often staff move around a bit, what skeletons do they move on with ?. What do they know of another?  Yes, you are right some can be more diligent than another BUT unfortunately, we have also seen  ( and it's sick or nieve  ) depending on one's contributions or talent some turn a blind eye. I think even outside of our activity we can see this.

I am not saying people purposely put kids in danger BUT sometimes they could think it was a 1-time thing or under control..and often that's a falsehood.

Amen, amen, and did I say, Amen a third time?

I can think of an instance of which you speak that happened about 30 years ago. I sat with Dad at dinner, upset. Dad knows both parties pretty well, too. I said, "Why did he hire him as his assistant knowing what happened there?" (inappropriate relations with students, quietly resigned...)

Dad pauses, and says, "Maybe he didn't think what they did was as wrong as it is."

It was a thoughtful, insightful, and sobering reply. Made me a bit more thoughtful, one of the reasons I'm very fond of my Dad.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, garfield said:

Wait, I have a direct line to Clive Cussler <insert your favorite adventure mystery writer>.

Hold while I get him on the line so you can weave this tale.

Or George R. R. Martin, but it will be years before the story comes out (in seven volumes).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Hold on to that tin-foil hat because it might be a bumpy ride 

But a short one. It’s why George Dixon started this site.  It took a whole ten minutes to figure out.  So stealthy.   :laughing:

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

Wait, I have a direct line to Clive Cussler <insert your favorite adventure mystery writer>.

Tell Clive a Talbot-Lago T26 has to be in the story, please.

7 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

My attempt to work through all this on my blog.  Comment if you'd like.  Thanks guys. 

https://yhwhjanitor.wordpress.com/2018/04/07/what-to-do-about-george-hopkins/ 

Am I the only one who, seeing the title of the blog, & with Jesus Christ Superstar (thx NBC) on the brain thought  "What then to do about this Georgie Hop-i-kins, YEA Di-rec-tor, a-ccu-sed rapist?...."

9 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Sex crimes perpetrated by an individual with organization authority spanning decades unreported and unresponded to is kinda, sorta unusual, you have to admit. 

Why Garfield?

Why drum corps?

No I dont think it is ,,sadly

22 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

The fact that every one of these abused people didn't think they could go get any other member or instructor and deal justice to Hopkins is all you need to know. Every one of them should have marched in confidence they'd never have to accept abuse and that every member, alum and instructor would be behind them to respond appropriately if they were abused. No response = permission. That is what I mean by these monsters are made.

Please, you're making progress, but don't presume to tell me "all" I need to know.  Let's discuss, capiche?

As was mentioned much earlier in the thread, what we're considering abuse today was, in many cases, not considered abuse back then, but instead considered differently.  What they "should have done" by today's standards may not even have been considered back then, so your assumption that they should have "gotten together" and reported is mis-skewed with drum corps societal history, IMO.

Further, if you listen carefully, you'll hear the ladies say that it was their love for the corps that prevented them - largely - from coming forward.  They didn't want to punish the corps; you have to see the humanity of that and not punish those girls for not coming forward back then.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

Gosh, thank you. But there is no story, just resources that are much more easily recruitable than 20 years ago:

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/search?utf8=✓&q=public+990&state[id]=PA&ntee[id]=1

Non-profit forms 990 are just available like never before. Any librarian or reporter know that.

13 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Sex crimes perpetrated by an individual with organization authority spanning decades unreported and unresponded to is kinda, sorta unusual, you have to admit. 

Why Garfield?

Why drum corps?

Would you please explain the logic of this sentence?  If something is unreported, how can it be responded to?

You're blaming these victims for not coming forward.  Why?

• Like 5