The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

Please note:

Discussion in this thread must be limited to the matter of the published article.  Reference to any other rumors or suspected incidents will not be allowed and will be removed, pursuant to our Community Guidelines.   Should additional reports be published by DCI, its member organizations, or 'legitimate journalistic publications', we will expand the scope of this thread or permit new threads to be opened.

THANK YOU for your thoughtful and reasoned participation in this important discussion.

-john

12 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

How can you interview nine abuse survivors, discover that the one thing that unites them all is their desire not to destroy the drum corps... and then slap that headline on top of it all?

The victims are victimized all over again.

I'm not really sure how else a responsible journalist would handle it (AFAIK, the journalists themselves do not choose the headline, the editor does). Let's face it, once you start examining the alleged abuser and the environment in which this all took place, you'd have to start scrutinizing the Cadets and the drum corps activity as a whole. And as unfortunate as it may be, you'd also have to expect that the particular corps in question and the activity will have to suffer some collateral damage due to his actions. And as harsh as it may sound, maybe that's what needs to happen in order to prevent this kind of thing from happening again. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

How can you interview nine abuse survivors, discover that the one thing that unites them all is their desire not to destroy the drum corps... and then slap that headline on top of it all?

Drama sells papers 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Does anyone really believe the members of the drum corps would in any way be worse off if DCI was disbanded?

What would you suggest Catherine - going back to the VFW American Legion days with Tony Schlecta and the gang in their  #### cutter hats? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I worked in the news business for a number of years.... and this reminds me of a classic trick of the trade (so to speak)... drawing readers to certain words or phrases.

In this case it's four words.  The last two of which I was hoping I would never see related to the first two words. Bottom line... that is now this former director/CEO's legacy. Shame on him.

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

What would you suggest Catherine - going back to the VFW American Legion days with Tony Schlecta and the gang in their  #### cutter hats? 

That might be kinda cool, going back to picking the winner the night before the show!!!  :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

The story deserves that headline, IMO.

The entire activity needs to look itself in the mirror. And then make it clear some people are not welcome.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are some borderline circle the wagons and blame the victims / newspaper posts here. Not surprised, actually. Good luck, hope the activity continues, but in the end - it’s just marching band. 

inappropriate off topic and collateral posts removed.  most of you have done well to keep the peace and the discussion on topic as we asked.  please continue to do so.

thanks

10 hours ago, MisterA said:

. Nothing against the alleged victims, just things that were written that seemed to have an agenda.

No doubt. All 13 of them... 9 of them on record.... stated that their " agenda " was to remove this apparent  sexual deviant from a Drum Corps each of them stated they cherished. Since these woman marched in different eras with the Cadets, we can assume until we learn otherwise, that these woman perhaps only knew one another from a distance, What brought them together was their shared experiences of sexual abuse. Whether their coming forth was organized or not by forces connected to the Cadets that disliked Hopkins for other reasons seems irrelevant here, imo.  It could be that this is part of a refreshing national mood where woman feel more comfortable now more than ever before to come forward to say that " no, this is not alright ", But even that is secondary. What is primary here, imo, is that these brave woman did come forth, and as a result, this apparent sexual deviant was removed from his position, and it has spurred a redoubling of efforts by every other DCI Corps ( as well as DCI itself ) to shore up policies and procedures so that from here on out, no victim of sexual abuse will have to say: " I saw no channels in the organization that I loved that would help me that were not already controlled by the perpetrator (s) ( or their enablers ) themselves."

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3