The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Point of order.  Never an ex Marine.  A not on duty status Marine is more appropriate. 

Lmao you can tell I never served. That person would agree with you 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Yes, it is true, there can be cover-ups all over the place in high places, All we have to do is look to any news outlet today to see it.

The internet can certainly expose BUT can also and most often be a breeding ground for nothing more than gossip, vendetta-driven, etc etc

True, no doubt there is all manner of stuff on the internet. Its the " people's house " of info/.news here in the 21st century. Its not news controlled by Corporate interests from both the Left and the Right, imo... is messy, and liots of " gossip out there that is just pure nonsense. But... in an age when Schools of Journalism have seemingly lost their way, people now get their info from places that, imo, are oftentimes no less credible than the news outlets that have lost their credibility, and as such have no more credibility than " the People's source " of info... both good and bad with that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Point of order.  Never an ex Marine.  A not on duty status Marine is more appropriate. 

I'm just an old retired Army guy, but it was always my experience that current Marines, Retired Marines and former Marines often referred to Marines who were other than honorably dismissed from service as ex Marines as a way to ensure there was a distinction between the former and the latter.  Marines who honorably served were never referred to as ex Marines. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Don’t want to side track but where are the two sides? The member had a medical problem that caused them to need to leave. The member went to staff and explained the problem honestly. When parents picked up the member staff refused to talk to them. Later corps members were saying the member left because he/she “wasn’t Cadets material” and not because of the medical issue. IIRC the member was getting crap from the corps “family” because they had to leave. Would love to know what the Cadets side is. And why bring up parent an exMarine.... has to do with honor and being truthful which I believe the parent is after being around them for 15+ years

Sorry, there are plenty of people with honor and truthful and didn't serve.

Not being Cadet material? Well, if they were or not I guess can only be determined by those involved, whatever that means. Medical conditions, of course, should be taken seriously for sure and the student deserved at least a thanks for their time. 

I myself had to send someone home during camps and it isn't easy and sometimes doesn't end well.

Just now, Daave said:

I'm just an old retired Army guy, but it was always my experience that current Marines, Retired Marines and former Marines often referred to Marines who were other than honorably dismissed from service as ex Marines as a way to ensure there was a distinction between the former and the latter.  Marines who honorably served were never referred to as ex Marines. 

I’m a Marine and you’re correct 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Having been on the Cadets mailing list, the  begging for money was nonstop. Can only imagine the bulk mailers expense. I could never figure out why it was more expensive to feed the Cadets vs another corps either. Are the Cadets meals different? Often wonder why parents didn’t ask for a refund on fees. Doesn’t tuition cover meals? If so, why not a refund for those meals that were paid for by donors? GH always held you up for a buck. 

I had a discussion with a C2 parent about tuition. I had heard it was 1500 dollars, she corrected me down from that. I then asked about various fees.... she went on with several fees, which I added up in my head. 150 dollar uniform fee for instance. I then said, with all of the fees you've mentioned... you're over 1300. Any more fees to get to the 1500 I heard? Everyone laughed.... she blushed and got quiet.

Along with that "more expensive" thought from Jim... Last I knew, C2 in DCA was about 1500 total. Other DCA corps ranged from about 450-800 a season that I knew of. I even asked about additional fees- and they grinned and said "NONE". They knew why I asked. It's a significant difference.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

True, no doubt there is all manner of stuff on the internet. Its the " people's house " of info/.news here in the 21st century. Its not news controlled by Corporate interests from both the Left and the Right, imo... is messy, and liots of " gossip out there that is just pure nonsense. But... in an age when Schools of Journalism have seemingly lost their way, people now get their info from places that, imo, are oftentimes no less credible than the news outlets that have lost their credibility, and as such have no more credibility than " the People's source " of info... both good and bad with that.

That can be very true. Just look at many news outlets, or claim to be news outlets BUT  nothing more than opinion shows, and you know the old saying about opinions. The worst part is today people often don't look at the fact there is a very big difference.

I think we went off subject.sorry

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

I’m a Marine and you’re correct 

Well to clarify the Marine in question has to have passed background checks to get their current job iow honorably discharged 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On 4/12/2018 at 4:55 PM, GeekySam said:

a) One person was fired AFTER LOTS OF TIMES he did and said innapropriate things. she didn't complain once and then he was fired. AND the fired guy's friend who would participate and egg him on was NOT fired instead he stayed workign for sean for a few more years and would say lots of innapropriate stuff and sometimes sean would reprimand him but he let him stay despite some really bad stuff he would say.

b) I 100% agree with you that if she had told sean "Hey - George raped me" That sean would have talked to her about going to the police and would have tried to find a way to get the board or coo to do something. 

But that's not what she is claiming she told him.  reading the article she didnt say she told sean about the rape - she told him about the harrasment that happened before the rape.  when the rape happened she just shut down - WHICH IS A TOTALLY NORMAL PSYCHOLOGICAL RESPONSE.  

And that is what is wrong about the 'it's no big deal, don't be sensitive, just ignore him' reaction to people who say innappropriate things.  Hop said innappropriate things to someone and noone ever told him to shove it so he doesn't have any reason to think about boundaries or limits or consquences and eventually saying innappropriate things turned into doing innappropriate things. 

EVERYONE who ever heard George say something truly innappropriate and just rolled their eyes but said nothing (or worse - laughed and egged the conversation on) contributed to the culture of acceptance which made for an unsafe workplace.  
anyone who worked there could have tried to speak up but as a department head sean had the most responsibility to speak up.

Did you see she changed her story?  She recanted on a skype what she said to the reporter that Sean didn't see the texts or emails.  An investigation is going to clear this man and rightfully so.  He also was not a fan of GH and everyone that was there knows that too. 

• Thanks 1