On 6/11/2018 at 4:16 PM, Fran Haring said:

Four choices, I guess.... either stay in DCA, re-tool and join DCI,  focus entirely on WGI/indoor, or fold for good.

Whatever route the organization decides to take, whatever it feels is in its best interest... I wish them well.

And to MBI's credit, they're apparently taking a very thoughtful approach, what with the RFP for a consultant they put out a few weeks ago.

5 hours ago, larry p said:

I understand the Mn recruiting prob (believe me). I just wonder how Chops did it being in the same area as MB. 

I have a guess from watching Chops videos from a couple seasons ago. They look to have recruited a lot of young people from programs their staff works with and really developed and grew the talent patiently. Also, I think the members recruited friends as well, growing the corps. Very, very similar to what the Thunderbirds have done.

Recent conversation with Scott Litzenberg where he told me with a smile, "You can't have talent unless you develop it." Chops is doing just that very patiently and I think they'll be able to see some dividends for it very soon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Reviewing the bullet points from the main article the one quoted below particularly affects mid-west corps since out east they don't go back to school till after Labor Day, look how many weeks DCI had to pull back it's Finals to accommodate. Labor Day was picked because of the three day weekend and DCA members worked and most still do so it's a mid-west issue for DCA Corps, don't see DCA moving off Labor Day.

"The Drum Corps Associates (DCA) competitive schedule is both a recruiting and strategic challenge that puts the organization at odds with high-school and college music programs, particularly over the Labor Day weekend when DCA holds its championship competition. This has limited the corps’ ability to create beneficial partnerships with music educators at the high-school and college levels."

16 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Reviewing the bullet points from the main article the one quoted below particularly affects mid-west corps since out east they don't go back to school till after Labor Day, look how many weeks DCI had to pull back it's Finals to accommodate. Labor Day was picked because of the three day weekend and DCA members worked and most still do so it's a mid-west issue for DCA Corps, don't see DCA moving off Labor Day.

"The Drum Corps Associates (DCA) competitive schedule is both a recruiting and strategic challenge that puts the organization at odds with high-school and college music programs, particularly over the Labor Day weekend when DCA holds its championship competition. This has limited the corps’ ability to create beneficial partnerships with music educators at the high-school and college levels."

DCA has issues making relationships regardless of when championships is. 

Seems that way also referring to the list of bullet points affecting MB one can say they affect all of DCA. What is the riff between dci and the Bucs & the Cabs don't see any love there? Usually we know by now the exhibition corps performing for us on Friday in Indy maybe I missed it, NorthStar Alumni seems ready.

Nothing new about this and maybe riff not a good term. Through the years a lot of DCA Corps showed up at DCI finals except the Bucs & Cabs. In the Madison years we had Westshoremen several times, Steel City, Sunrisers that I remember. Now we get Atlanta CV, Gold at dci Southeast, Cadets2 in Allentown twice, Govies, Chops, MB in Minn but as far as I remember never Bucs or Cabs. It would not take much for either of them to show up at a Friday night dci show somewhere out east but never happens?

No not just finals week one year Sunrisers showed up at an early season dci show in St Charles IL. The point is throughout the years Bucs or Cabs don 't do dci and am wondering why?

32 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

No not just finals week one year Sunrisers showed up at an early season dci show in St Charles IL. The point is throughout the years Bucs or Cabs don 't do dci and am wondering why?

Not claiming to actually speak for Cabs - I just sell T-shirts and stuff for them. But Cabs have enough DCA shows available to them, and use all but one weekend from early June on without a show as a camp, so there's just no need to do other gigs, I'd guess.

Probably similar story for Bucs, ya know?

I'm SUREneither organization has anything against DCI (especially since both regularly prep members for DCI, many of whom find their way back afterwards), but just seems that DCA checks all the boxes for them.

• Like 1