San Diego, CA - June 29, 2018

26 minutes ago, Dyhrd said:

Full show from SCV also, that new closer is fire. This show has also grown on me, again with details that just aren't picked up on the broadcast. That baritone duet on the ballad is great, and the crowd ate up the trumpet screamers. This show is going to be incredible and BD has their work cut out for them.

Also love how versatile the props are, they almost seamlessly set up all these stages to feature moments. A few issues tonight though with pushing parts together though

Totally agree! You just gotta see this show live. Thanks so much for all your commentary! Helps the hype for the Rose Bowl!:cheer:

1 hour ago, Dyhrd said:

open class

42.3 incognito

46.8 watchmen

47.9 impulse

48.35 vessel

51.8 ge

55.75 gold

Decent start for Vessel after being off a year or two.

Last year Golden Empire and Gold were always neck-and-neck, as I recall, so either the former has slipped a bit or Gold has gotten stronger.

SCV looked and sounded scary good tonight.  Can't wait for tomorrow!

• Like 1

Corps ranking in order of my enjoyment...

1. BK - I really enjoyed this show. It's complex without being over the top.

2. Troopers - super enjoyable and their brass is putting out some power. Needs a lot of work though. Still a chunk of show not in the performance?

3. SCV - The ballad-baritone duet into the impact is one of the top moments of the season. Seeing live and hearing the audio pan left/right... amazing. However, the show feels too much like an indoor drumline design for me. I was hoping for atleast some classic gaines big picture drill. His design is still innovative with the props moving all over the place and the little details in shapes, but it just feels like an indoor show...

4. Mandarins - Super enjoyable. Last year they were on the cusp, this year i'd be surprised if they dont make finals. If anything, it seems like they're maxing out too early. Regardless, the closer brass feature was one of my favorite moments of the night. Excellent arranging. 

5. PC - Felt like classic PC with modern design elements. Again, super enjoyable show. However, their brass was an obvious step down from other groups around them. 

Arrived late, that's all I saw...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dcsnare93 said:

Can't wait to see them tomorrow night. Hoping the closer is in!

The review a few posts above mentioned SCV performed their full show last night already, so it’ll be in tonight. 

Edited by brassboy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Decent start for Vessel after being off a year or two.

Last year Golden Empire and Gold were always neck-and-neck, as I recall, so either the former has slipped a bit or Gold has gotten stronger.

That’s a much higher first show score for Gold compared to last year, so I’m guessing Gold got stronger. 

9 hours ago, ComeHomeShane said:

However, the show feels too much like an indoor drumline design for me. I was hoping for atleast some classic gaines big picture drill. His design is still innovative with the props moving all over the place and the little details in shapes, but it just feels like an indoor show... 

Doesn't he write drill for WGI and Japanese units?