St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

14 minutes ago, hughesmr said:

Having not heard them live, what exactly is the issue/issues holding back Bloo's percussion?  They sound really good on the feeds to me, well integrated, stylistically coherent...  Thoughts?

I was told it wasn't a big deal when I mentioned it but I think its the lack of front.  Trying to do a 9 person job with 6 people so doubling up all vibes or all marimba takes some textures away.  The second thing is 6 people cant produce the same amount of sound as 9 so when the horns play they get covered often.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brassboy said:

I think it's a cleaning issue. Mandarins are adding to and making changes to their show, so I imagine they're not finding the time to clean yet. Three more weeks on tour can make a world of difference there.

It's more of a design and content issue. Blue Stars show is more demanding and has more content than the Mandarins. The Mandarins show was designed to get them into finals, not challenge for 8th place. The Blue Stars have designed a show that is intended to place as high as possible. I don't expect Mandarins to get any closer to Blue Stars than they were tonight. They will likely be 11th at finals, which is an amazing achievement for them, and probably exactly what the design staff was hoping for. Blue Stars could probably take 8th.

Edited by queenanne_1536

1 minute ago, TheClutch said:

Odd night to night percussion spread between Devil's and Cavs.

I doubt seriously if Kristensen judges percussion in Indy. He has judged five shows with 80% on percussion and 20% on GE. We were sitting low and I watched him a lot. He poorly sampled all the lines. He just doesn’t want to engage. I had it BD, BAC, Crown, Bloo, Cavies and Cadets in percussion. 

Just now, queenanne_1536 said:

It's more of a design and content issue. Blue Stars show is more demanding and has more content than the Mandarins. The Mandarins show was designed to get them into finals, not challenge for 8th place. The Blue Stars have designed a show that is intended to place as high as possible. I don't expect Mandarins to get any closer to Blue Stars than they were tonight. They will likely be 11th at finals, which is an amazing achievement for them, and probably exactly what the design staff was hoping for.

We'll have to disagree there, as do the judges. Mandarins and Blue Stars are trading ordinals on content scores. LAST year's show was designed to get them into finals. This show was designed to have meat.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

I don’t understand Blue Stars being a point over Mandarins.    

I have a strong feeling that will NOT happen for much longer.   

Que the guy that told me they both did a great job with one being better and to get over it.  We get it you dont like *insert score/show*.  O wait he probably wont say anything because it wasnt me posting :whistle:

Just now, Jim Schehr said:

I doubt seriously if Kristensen judges percussion in Indy. He has judged five shows with 80% on percussion and 20% on GE. We were sitting low and I watched him a lot. He poorly sampled all the lines. He just doesn’t want to engage. I had it BD, BAC, Crown, Bloo, Cavies and Cadets in percussion. 

Allen almost ALWAYS judges during championships. It's just a question of which of the three shows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, brassboy said:

We'll have to disagree there, as do the judges. Mandarins and Blue Stars are trading ordinals on content scores. LAST year's show was designed to get them into finals. This show was designed to have meat.

Your content scores go up when you achieve more. It takes achieving to see the full extent of the content. Not sure how anyone can watch the two, pay attention to the difference in simultaneous demand on the performer and argue that Mandarins have a more difficult and content filled show than the Blue Stars. For example, watch how much the Mandarins brass line actually plays on the move, it's not much in comparison to Blue Stars. Watch the actual drill and how much more Blue Stars move in general. But to each his own. You'll see I'm right soon enough. No offense, but it's true. :) I love the Mandarins and am so happy for them, but I think people hoping for higher than 11th are going to be disappointed.

Edited by queenanne_1536

2 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Is that also true for Music GE in an 11 person panel? One has a brass background and the other a percussion background? 

I don't believe it's required but it does happen. I know Kristensen has taken a few spins on GE but not 100% sure if it's a requirement to get a percussion guy on the GE side.

1 minute ago, brassboy said:

Allen almost ALWAYS judges during championships. It's just a question of which of the three shows.

I’m no fan of his work. 

5 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yes, if SCV were there it is likely Bloo would have placed 5th in guard and 7th in percussion. That is not going to land you in the top 2. No way. 

Let’s not forget Blue Knights percussion here. They historically have a strong line and if Phantom was that close to Bloo in percussion, there’s a chance Bloo may get placed behind BK as well