St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

3 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Looking at the BD recaps reminds me of that moment in the final match of Rocky IV...

"you see... you see?!... He's not a machine! He's a man!"

It's an honest competition and a whole lot of groups are participating in peeling top sub caption spots.  That's not typical for BD when they win.

Of course they weren’t bulletproof in 2015 either, and this show has a similar feel with it taking time to develop the characters and clarity. There is a lot of seasoning yet to be added, and the stew may not be ready until Finals night.

• Like 4

Just now, Jim Schehr said:

I’m no fan of his work. 

I’m assuming because he didn’t place your team well?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Let’s not forget Blue Knights percussion here. They historically have a strong line and if Phantom was that close to Bloo in percussion, there’s a chance Bloo may get placed behind BK as well

Good point. That would make things even more dire.

1 minute ago, NakedEye said:

Of course they weren’t bulletproof in 2015 either, and this show has a similar feel with it taking time to develop the characters and clarity. There is a lot of seasoning yet to be added, and the stew may not be ready until Finals night.

Same for all.  There's a lot of grunt work in there by some unlikely monsters... Boston is remarkably serious about playing ball and it's spreading out the peaks and valleys of the top contenders.

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

You were saying?

Bac is not close to the corps ahead or behind. Safe bets for 

6- Boston

7- Cadets 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

The captions are totally separate and look at different things. Best example I can give is last years Crown. 1st in Brass, 1st in Music Analysis and 4th in Percussion. One of the big things Prosperie dinged them on in the percussion scores was the book not taking enough chances and expanding on the source material. They had a lot of opportunities to branch out and really challenge the performers but went the other route to keep it locked in musically. They got dinged on it by the percussion judges but the Music Analysis ones loved it as the whole package sounded great.

I guess I need a little more context than music analysis = sounded great. What does the music analysis judge listen for and how does it differ from the brass or percussion judge?

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

I’m no fan of his work. 

Kristensen is known for his tapes by the general DCI fan I think but the guy is one of the best ones out there when it comes to judging lines. I honestly wish Scott Johnson would stop with the BD and start judging. He would be a great judge! I would miss his lines on the field each year though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

Same for all.  There's a lot of grunt work in there by some unlikely monsters... Boston is remarkably serious about playing ball and it's spreading out the peaks and valleys of the top contenders.

I don’t see or hear it.  Design lacking as compared to its peers. Sorry but it’s not a top 5 show .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2