The Cadets 2019

Just now, George Dixon said:

is it bad that I have four plastic totes with corps shirts and hats? Well over 200

they go back to the 70s - all XL - I should auction them off or turn them into a quilt or something 

I have around 50 patches from various regionals and worlds and maybe 40 baseball hats and jackets

i have a PROBLEM too :blink:

i have none so...i also have a problem

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Yup! Many from NOVA and MD in Cadets in 2018 and for many years

Lots of kids from the Frisco - Denton Tx. area go through the Cadets. They have the facilities in place. I am not in the know but it would not surprise me seeing Xmens success in SA . Hope staying in the East is a priority for the Cadets that is what a lot of us wants, who knows. Hope the Virginia thing is real.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

51 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Lots of kids from the Frisco - Denton Tx. area go through the Cadets. They have the facilities in place. I am not in the know but it would not surprise me seeing Xmens success in SA . Hope staying in the East is a priority for the Cadets that is what a lot of us wants, who knows. Hope the Virginia thing is real.

They run camps with tryouts down there 

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

They run camps with tryouts down there

I know we lived in Little Elm close by. Built a nice stadium in Frisco home of Frito Lay huge campus. The Colleges in Denton very supportive, area is hungry for a corps and would hit the jackpot with The Cadets. I am still ranting on North Jersey, their contribution to HS arts has suffered since they kicked the last Corps still standing out, The Cadets. Highest Taxes least visibility in the arts.

Why just stop with ragging on poor North Jersey. Ever watch the London NYD parade it's been run by BD some years, Riverside College CA as well. Import lots of our HS and College Bands. Parade officials travel to the schools here produce hit pieces to air NYD. They treat them like gold and the fans knowledge is off the charts. Way more than the "man on the street" has here. Long day that New Years Day first at 6:00am the London Parade then the Mummers the rest of the day (who programs this nonsense).

The Frito Lay Cadets, oh boy.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

22 hours ago, xandandl said:

Ah, but the ABE-PHL frequent flier miles add up towards that free ticket...ha, ha.

All the posters pushing the DC area coincidentally live in that demographic and haven't answered the problem of dealing with Beltway traffic especially on (band) weekends.

I'm in Columbia, MD and don't think there's much of a marching band appreciation in the area to justify moving in the DC metro area. Huge schools with smaller marching bands than tiny schools in PA. Add in the higher costs of the area, I wouldn't move here even though I think it would be cool. Haven't heard of a single person in the area joining a drum corps. Sports is considered a better resumé builder for college applications. (All statements are generalizations, individual outliers excluded.)

Just now, cybersnyder said:

I'm in Columbia, MD and don't think there's much of a marching band appreciation in the area to justify moving in the DC metro area. Huge schools with smaller marching bands than tiny schools in PA. Add in the higher costs of the area, I wouldn't move here even though I think it would be cool. Haven't heard of a single person in the area joining a drum corps. Sports is considered a better resumé builder for college applications. (All statements are generalizations, individual outliers excluded.)

suburbs. Much better appreciation in say Carroll or Frederick Counties, even down by Annapolis

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

suburbs. Much better appreciation in say Carroll or Frederick Counties, even down by Annapolis

I'd pick Annapolis out of those three, but only if you can march on a lacrosse field. That's LAX territory.

59 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Taylor Yowzwiak marched Cadets at least three seasons in front ensemble for Cadets and hailed from Columbia, MD.                                                                                                                               After teching at Cadets for two seasons, he was hired away by Boston Crusaders where he taught the past season. Excellent fellow and family. After UMass undergrad, he went on to U. Miami for graduate and is teaching now in Orlando, Florida area.

Cadets 2012 drum major Kendra Orcott also hailed from Columbia, MD but came out of the River Hill High School as did Cadets'  '09 horn sgt. Capt. Joseph Lewis, USMC (Jag Corps and Pentagon) after his sterling undergraduate studies at The George Washington University and the University of Minnesota Law School. 

River Hill has provided about a dozen amazing Cadets over the past dozen years. Shall I go on? Crown also had some from that same Ellicott City-Clarkesville-Howard County area. Columbia seems the gem of our recruiting ocean.